spc
uniqs

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx to madylarian

to madylarian

Re: It's that time of year again.

Tried Los Amigos. Real nice. 'Americanized' a little but far more authentic than the others I have tried.
Got the mixed ceviche and the carnitas (tasted like 'Rican Pernil )
I have heard there is a great authentic one on Eastern avenue - highlandtown- across from the Walgreens. Gotta try that, been told they have Menudo and serve the pieces of corn tortillas with salsa verde next to the eggs.

Finally got the Firehouse Shrimp salad. Smaller, cheaper than Linwoods but much better. I will try other things from there, any super suggestions?

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian

Premium Member

There's one that used to be the old Madrid Restaurant on Eastern Avenue. It's now called Spanish Meson. I haven't been there in ages but I remember it being good. Also on Eastern Avenue there used to be this little hole-in-the-wall place called Las Taquitos or Lost Taquitos, not sure which. It was mostly a carry-out but it had a few tables. This really was authentic Hispanic food, not the usual tacos and burritos. Even the soft drinks came, for the most part, from Mexico. I don't know if they are still there. We stopped going because it was too far away for a carryout and not much of a place to eat in. However, the food was really good and there were often lines out the door waiting for the few tables inside.

To be honest, the only things I have had at the Firehouse have been the shrimp salad (most of the time), the burgers (huge and good), and the hot turkey sandwich (real mashed potatoes, not instant, the last time, though I have gotten instant in the past). At least their turkey gravy is not overloaded with cornstarch.

Also, if you are so inclined, the chicken noodle soup with matzoh balls at the Suburban House in Pikesville is the best I have ever had. Better than my grandmother used to make. That and a salad is a meal.

Edit: I just spoke to my husband who says that the Las Taquitos place is gone but there is another Mexican restaurant in it's place. However, it is NOT the same as Spanish Meson. Spanish Meson is a much larger and more upscale restaurant.

mady, oy, who's schvitzing!

[text was edited by author 2003-06-26 18:48:00]
madylarian

1 recommendation

madylarian to Rxdoxx

Premium Member

to Rxdoxx
said by Rxdoxx:
I have heard there is a great authentic one on Eastern avenue - highlandtown- across from the Walgreens. Gotta try that, been told they have Menudo and serve the pieces of corn tortillas with salsa verde next to the eggs.
I just found out that this place is at the corner of Eastern and Haven, just west of the railroad bridge.

mady
tr985
join:2003-06-12
USA

tr985

Maybe that one on Eastern Ave is still too new to have been added to this list of mexican restaurants in Baltimore I found doing a search on the web, I found a link to a page that lists restaurants -

»www.thecityofbaltimore.o ··· #mexican

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian

Premium Member

said by tr985:
Maybe that one on Eastern Ave is still too new to have been added to this list of mexican restaurants in Baltimore I found doing a search on the web, I found a link to a page that lists restaurants -

It is quite new. On the other hand, I hate to tell the creators of that list, but Casa Mia's is an Italian restaurant. We go to the one on York Road quite often.

Oh, and Eltaquido Mexiciano, 410) 563-7840, 1744 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, MD, is the little hole-in-the-wall place I mentioned earlier.

mady

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx to tr985

to tr985

Found it

said by tr985:

La Sirenita Restaurant
3928 Eastern Ave

They have 2 others, one in Hyattsville- 4911 Edmonston Rd.
and Glen Burnie- 702 N Crain Hwy.

Just got the eggs, and it is authenitc. Definitely Mexico Mexican. Think I am going to eat through their menu in the coming months.

edrutter
Prometheus Rules
join:2000-10-06
Glen Burnie, MD

edrutter

This past Thrusday night I attended a wine dinner at:

Corks
1026 S. Charles St.
Baltimore MD 21230

The food and wines were very good. The chef has dinner with you and talks the wines during the meal. It is a small place and has been open about six years.

To learn more: 'http://www.corksrestaurant.com/default.asp'