IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Dimension L500r getting to work in new case

I've not gotten any replies yet at the Dell forum.
So I thought I'd try my luck here. My problem/issue is detailed here »forums.us.dell.com/suppo ··· .id=1736

Since my last post in the forum were in now - I have in fact pinpointed that the heatsink in this machine is going bad. Ordering one today or tomorrow to replace the current one. Looking at this model Cables Unlimited - Falcon 2 - Socket 370 Ball Bearing CPU Cooling Fan. From my reading here »support.jp.dell.com/docs ··· rocessor it would seem that I wouldn't need to use any thermal gel. Is it still advised to do so?

I'm also curious to know how easy it would be to upgrade the processor on the motherboard that this machine uses. I had read on this site »www.roberthancock.com/de ··· ndex.htm that it might not be all that easy with the current version of the P3. And I'm pretty sure this motherboard wouldn't support a new P4.:D

I've updated the information on hardware etc after switching cases »www.iggyz.com/files/OUrP ··· case.txt

If any further information is needed let me know I'm more than happy to provide it. Any polite feedback is always welcome.
Expand your moderator at work

MRK8
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
San Antonio, TX

MRK8 to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9

Re: Dimension L500r getting to work in new case

One thing you can do to find out about upgrading the CPU for that mb is find the exact version you have here:
»support.intel.com/suppor ··· /ca810e/
(keep in mind Dell has Intel custom-build their motherboards for them, so although the mb will be similar, it may not be an exact match, nor may Dell's custom BIOS match the Intel bios capabilities for that mb)

You will need some kind of thermal transfer material between the heat sink and the cpu - either the heat sink will come with a pre-installed thermal pad, or have a heat sink grease packet with it. Using nothing will almost guarantee constant cpu lockups and/or system shutdowns from the cpu overheating.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Appreciate the reply I know the heat sink has a thermal pad on it. Haven't taken the old one of yet to see what is there now. The new one should be showing up either today or tomorrow as it has been shipped. Most likely I won't upgrade this current setup. I'll just buy a new board and processor when the money comes available.
I still haven't been able to find the Control Panel Pinout for this model. So I'm still having to use the power switch/LED from the old Dell case. The way this case is setup and the length of the wiring on the old Dell switch wouldn't allow me to integrate the switch to work with the power button of the case without some serious modifications.

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 51-2300-000000-00101111-030199-$CA810E
Motherboard Name Intel Cayman CA810

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 4 PCI
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset i810

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information »www.intel.com/design/mot ··· ndex.htm
BIOS Download »www.intel.com/design/mot ··· bios.htm

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Less than 3 memory slots detected. Expanding system memory may become difficult.

CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
CPU Alias Coppermine, CuMine, A80526
CPU Stepping cA2
Original Clock 500 MHz
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 28.1 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
Die Size 106 mm2
Core Voltage 1.6 - 1.8 V
I/O Voltage 3.3 V
Typical Power 11 - 25 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 16.0 - 37.5 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information »www.intel.com/products/b ··· ssor.htm

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 7 %

MRK8
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

MRK8 to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9
If you've checked the connector page from the Intel site and it doesn't match the Dell board, you may have to trace each wire from the Dell panel switch and leds to its corresponding connector and reference those locations for the new case connectors.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Tried that with a ton of frustration and no luck.:D
We were able to get the pc to boot for about 5 seconds - the fan would come on then the machine would shutdown.

Works great with the old Dell switch - just a pain to open up the case every day to turn the machine on. With the heat sink acting up I've tried my best to limit my use of the machine and turn off the pc nightly not leaving it run 24/7 or for a few days at a time like normal.

I'd not checked the Intel site. Personally I find it a pain to use at times. But I'll have a look around the link you provided and see if I can't find something of use. I thought this link was what I needed
»forums.us.dell.com/suppo ··· id=88965

But I couldn't get that setup to work. It'd just be nice to use the actually power switch of the case. Heck Dell and the company I bought the case from both had no clue. The company I got the case from thought it might not be able to be done. But I did rig it to at least get the pc up and running. Which should earn me a few points somewhere.:)

This what I'm dealing with Control panel connector (J9F2)
Pictured here
»support.jp.dell.com/docs ··· hovu.htm
#6 is it's location.

With a look and search using the search box on the Intel site I've seen no specific info related to it. I'm now going back to Google trying to refine my search. I'd gone there previously looking for information. I honestly do try my best to find the info on my own before posting. But in this case have come up goose eggs. But I'm sure this can be done in some way - I just need to learn it.

MRK8
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

MRK8 to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9
Lemme guess - the Dell uses a small ribbon cable for it's control panel wiring?
You should only need to locate 4 wires in that cable - 2 for the power switch, and 2 for the power led (there's also 2 for the hard disk led and 2 for the reset, but they aren't really critical). Find where those 4 wires plug into at the mb connector (which 2 are power, which 2 are led), then you'll have an idea how hard it'll be to match the new case's panel connectors to them.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

I think I got lost there - it happens sometimes.:o
No ribbon cable - it's wires just like the case has - it's the connector that is different. The case has separate leads - but the Dell connector has everything leading into 1 plug. The plug/connector ( choose your word ) covers all the pins on the control panel connector. Even if I were to connect all the separate case leads all the pins wouldn't be covered - which is what I think the motherboard wants.
There are 3 sets of wires going into the Dell connector. There is the power, power led and the harddrive led. The connector was shown in a picture on a link above. Looks like the picture on this site »www.roberthancock.com/de ··· conn.htm that is a J9E2 my is the J9F2. But it seems unless all the pins are connected to a connector the motherboard isn't happy.
Since from my reading I don't think a Pentium 3 Tualatin will work on this board - I'm considering buying a new board and processor or board with processor already included. A new P4 setup is out of the question at the moment.
I'm sure with this LED/power "issue" I'm just missing something. But I've yet to find the right combination to get it to work. No one seems to have the info on the pin placement either for some reason. Appreciate the help. I figure sooner or later with the help here and some looking around I can get it to work. If not I'll just use my current setup - until we get a new board etc.

This boards upgrade ability looks limited.
Intel® Desktop Board CA810E Processors Supported
P3 933 MHz 133 MHz 256 KB looks like the highest I could go up to if i wanted to just upgrade the processor.
The board is AA A01025-308
»support.intel.com/suppor ··· supp.htm

Looking over the info here
»support.intel.com/suppor ··· _con.htm
To see if maybe I can't piece together the setup. Again I have a feel there is just something very basic I'm miss here. But may not - maybe it can't be done on this OEM board.
IGGY9

IGGY9

Premium Member

Ok to add to my long post above. The info posted above is exactly what I needed. Big note to self - pay attention to your motherboard a bit better next time. The information is posted on the motherboard itself.:o:o:o
Only the power button seems to want to work can't seem to get the LED's to work properly I'll work on that. But the power led has a 3 pin connector in this case. The motherboard only wants a 2 pin connector. So I may not be able to get the LED's to work - but not a problem considering the case has a closing door. I just needed the power to work.
Appreciate all your replies - now that I got my head out my backside - I've now got things working - see I was right - it was something simple I was missing.
IGGY9

IGGY9

Premium Member

A small update on the progress of the machine can be found here ( if anyone is in fact interested )
»Re: Insightbb and modded boxez
IGGY9

IGGY9

Premium Member

I'm sure no one will find this funny. But I got a little laugh out of it.