spc
uniqs

draven

join:2002-02-20
my bunker

draven to lostdude

to lostdude

Re: Comcast Email SSL?

Do you use any SSL mail accounts? This is usually not needed.....but if you do, you set the incoming port to 995. Again though, unless you have a specific reason that you know you should be downloading via SSL, then you should not enable this in your e-mail client.
[text was edited by author 2003-06-30 13:33:28]

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by draven:
Do you use any SSL mail accounts? This is usually not needed.....but if you do, you set the incoming port to 995. Again though, unless you have a specific reason that you know you should be downloading via SSL, then you should not enable this in your e-mail client.

Comcast now supports SSL email logon. They did not before. It keeps your username and password encrypted while logging into your email account using Outlook Express. It can prevent anyone with a packet sniffer on any router along the way to the email server from harvesting your username and password.

draven

join:2002-02-20
my bunker

draven

said by FFH5:
Comcast now supports SSL email logon. They did not before. It keeps your username and password encrypted while logging into your email account using Outlook Express. It can prevent anyone with a packet sniffer on any router along the way to the email server from harvesting your username and password.
Yes true, but I guess I mean to say that I don't think many people would have the mandatory need for this

Big_D7
Premium Member
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

Big_D7

Premium Member

said by draven:
Yes true, but I guess I mean to say that I don't think many people would have the mandatory need for this
While most people probably don't have a need for this, I'd highly recommend that everyone take advantage of the security provided by SSL. I know I prefer to keep my email private.