If It's Not Broken, Don't Mess With It
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Huntley, IL

wmgoat

Premium Member

[XP] System restore wont go back to previous month

Running XP pro

System restore program will not let me go back to a previous months calendar, acts like a restore point has never been saved previously.

When I click on the arrow next to the month, it just doesnt change from the current month.

And I know that I have saved restore points in both May and June.

Internal help function doesnt give any assistance, nor can I find any answers in MS knowledge database

Last thing I did was to upgrade office 2000 to office xp, but according to knowledge base article »support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;299906, this restore point should only happen if I upgrade OS levels, not Office levels.

Maybe article is wrong? Maybe any upgrade of a MS propgram also deletes restore set points?

Any ideas/suggestions?

[text was edited by author 2003-07-02 13:57:10]

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe

MVM

How much space do you have allocated to System Restore? The earliest restore points get overwritten by newer ones when system restore runs out of space (»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;301224 ), so is it possible the older restore points have been overwritten? Have you disabled System Restore (which deletes all restore points) or changed the amount of space allocated to System Restore (this will delete the earliest restore points if you decrease its size)?

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to wmgoat

Mod

to wmgoat
The following MS KB article lists some registry keys you can take a look:

»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;313853

wmgoat
Premium Member
Huntley, IL

wmgoat to Zupe

Premium Member

to Zupe
said by Zupe:
How much space do you have allocated to System Restore? The earliest restore points get overwritten by newer ones when system restore runs out of space (»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;301224 ), so is it possible the older restore points have been overwritten? Have you disabled System Restore (which deletes all restore points) or changed the amount of space allocated to System Restore (this will delete the earliest restore points if you decrease its size)?
jsouth
Jsouth
Wichita, KS

jsouth to wmgoat

to wmgoat
Not trying to start a flame war here, but I think system restore stinks. I am using go back now. I had the problem where system restore would not restore my system even when it was a registry foul up. With Goback it does system AND programs both. I wouldn't be without it.

wmgoat
Premium Member
Huntley, IL

wmgoat

Premium Member

Ya get what cha pay for with MS products that come with the OS load.

You pay nothin for them, so they work, but barely. Case in point: have you ever tried using Wordpad vs. Word?

'Nuff said.

So where can I find details on GoBack?

(FYI, typically, I reformat and rebuild yearly, just to get rid of all the crap that accumulates, but with XP, Im now limited to 5 registrations, so I want to keep the rebuilding down to a min if I can help it)

smw315
Premium Member
join:2002-07-18
Edison, NJ

smw315 to wmgoat

Premium Member

to wmgoat
Make a wise investment and get yourself GoBack 3. It will allocate a max of 4,000MB to restore functions and it works like a charm.

My personal experience is that Windows' System Restore stinks. I have it shut off completely.

GoBack has saved my hide more than a few times.