Search similar:

uniqs

chrisf8657
join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

chrisf8657

Question for Cox Installers/Techs

Hiya all,

I have a problem/question. I want to put a TV Card in my computer in the future. Right now, I have a cable line from the box (splitter?) outside running into my computer room for my Cable Modem. My question is, can this be hooked up to a kinda box in the computer room where it turns the cable into 2, one going to the TV card and the other to the Cable modem, and still work?

Thanks

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
join:2003-05-20
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

thats what i have. At the block I have a 3 way with on line running to the modem. I then have a 2 way there that then runs the tv-card on my sony. I did have to put a amp on the whole hose line though. Best of luck setting it up.

untroubled1
Redneck Dawg
Premium Member
join:2001-12-21
Omaha, NE

untroubled1 to chrisf8657

Premium Member

to chrisf8657
said by chrisf8657:
Hiya all,

I have a problem/question. I want to put a TV Card in my computer in the future. Right now, I have a cable line from the box (splitter?) outside running into my computer room for my Cable Modem. My question is, can this be hooked up to a kinda box in the computer room where it turns the cable into 2, one going to the TV card and the other to the Cable modem, and still work?

Thanks

I just split the TV input off to my capture card. I prefer the modem to have a dedicated line. It would work how you want to do it but the signal loss might not be a good thing. I even noticed some loss running a splitter to my second capture card on another machine. It's one of those "try and see" kinda things.

PapaSmurf
A Smurfy Salute
join:2001-08-05
smurfville

PapaSmurf to chrisf8657

to chrisf8657
I would just caution that you don't split the line running to the modem if you can help it. Always best to have a home run to the modem.

Also, if you split any other lines, make SURE you use a quality splitter. Don't get one of those ninety-eight cent Wal-Mart duds. Signal loss through those is huge.

Oh, and be sure to use RG-6 cable with a good shielding.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

deleted by user
[text was edited by author 2003-07-11 11:53:00]

chrisf8657
join:2002-01-27
Glendale, AZ

chrisf8657

Thank you all for the information.
bmn
? ? ?

join:2001-03-15
hiatus

bmn to PapaSmurf

to PapaSmurf
Would a signal loss of about 4db be considered too much ?

I have a single cable for the whole apartment and when I put my splitter on, I lost about 4db of signal...

ThreeD
Premium Member
join:2001-05-19
Southern Cal

ThreeD

Premium Member

said by bmn:
Would a signal loss of about 4db be considered too much ?

Kind of depends on 4db less than what? A modem or tv will work within certain limits. ie: modem will normally work within +15 to -15 dbmv. Since a signal will and can fluctuate, getting too close to either end is not a good idea. The closer to 0 that you can stay, the better.
I hate to answer a question with a question but, where does you signal end up after the 4db loss?
bmn
? ? ?

join:2001-03-15
hiatus

bmn

It ends up at between -4dbmv and -6dbmv most of the time.

Smokey
I'd rather be skiing
Premium Member
Wild West

Smokey

Premium Member

thats pretty good, the techs here tell me they like to leave the level around -3dB, as that will give you a good range to work with.