MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX

MLOK5

MVM

Technique! Week 2

Welcome to Technique! Week 2. Week 1 is officially closed for new photos. The goal of this thread is for one of the members of the forum to share a photographic technique with the rest of the forum. Then we can all practice this technique & upload our results. The technique doesn't have to be limited to digital editing. It can be related to other things as well, like exposure, depth-of-field, etc. A good example of a technique thread can be found here.

Who has a technique they'd like to share with the forum?

[text was edited by author 2003-07-26 23:37:31]

tiggerstales

join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.

7 recommendations

tiggerstales

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C2040Z
21mm 1/160th F2.6 ISO100

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C2040Z
7.3mm 1/30th F10 ISO100

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C2040Z
7.3mm 1/30th F10 ISO100

Well, if no one else is going to jump in, I guess I'll bite. Since I don't have any have any knowledge of photographic technique, I thought I'd show how to made some simple digital frames for your photos. Both of these were done in PSP8...maybe someone can show how to do the same thing in Photoshop.

The first one is very quick and easy. First, click Image in the menu bar, then add borders. Set the border color to black, make sure Symmetric is checked, and make the border size 5 pixels. Next, repeat this step, but when setting the color for the border, select a color from your photo. (If you move your cursor over the image while the menu is open, it will turn into the color dropper tool, and you can select a color straight from the image.) Set the size to 5. Repeat again, this time again using black as the border color and set the size to 10. That's all there is to it.

The second one has a few more steps, but it still very simple. Add a black border as above, then add a white border with a pixel size of 15. Use the magic wand to Select the white border, then click on Selection in the menu bar, and click invert. Next Click on Effects in the menu bar, then 3-D effects, Drop Shadow. Set both horizontal & vertical to 10. Now add another border, with a size of three, using a color from your image. Add a final border, size 25, in black. You can either leave the last border flat, or if you want to get a little fancier, select the last black border with the magic wand, and from the Effects menu select 3-D effects, Buttonize. (Width & Height of 20, opacity 75, and transparent edge.)

All of the above border sizes may be adjusted to your taste.

HeyDriver
No.2 Fuel Oil Rules
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Souderton, PA

1 recommendation

HeyDriver

Premium Member

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
6mm 1/26th F2.8 ISO100

Click for full size
FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
6mm 1/26th F2.8 ISO100

Thanks for the tip tiggerstales See Profile

Sunflowerbrdr.jpg is using your first methor.
Sunflowerbrdra.jpg is using the second method.
And, this page just got bookmarked for future reference.
Thanks again!!

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

2 recommendations

MLOK5

MVM

These tips are awesome, tiggerstales!! I am definitely "frame-challenged" and have been long-admiring the frames you put on your great photos in the gallery. Here are my two tries at it. I, too, have bookmarked this thread. This is great and a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing this with us!

carynoc
Just Ducky
Premium Member
join:2003-07-17
Whitmore Lake, MI

3 recommendations

carynoc to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Since I don't have PSP8 and can't try this technique, so I thought I'd share a framing technique for PSE 2.

For the rose image:
1. I opened the picture of the roses (applied a few filters)
2. Then, I created another image 30 pixels larger in all directions; filled with a color I picked up from the rose and applied the "sun fade" effect
3. Next, I copied the image of the roses and pasted into the larger image to get the first border
4. Then, I applied the “drop shadow ” frame effect to the entire picture
5. Lastly, I used the “background color ” frame effect. I didn't like the width of the frame (the effect is one size only), so I used the crop feature to cut it down a bit

For the bellflower image:
1. I opened the picture of the bellflower
2. Then, I applied the “drop shadow ” frame effect
3. Then, I used the “background color ” frame effect, and used the crop feature to cut it down a bit
4. Next, I saved the image for the web as a jpeg and reopened
5. Using the “magic wand” I selected the frame and then used “render, light effects” to change the solid color of the frame. (The frame color can not be changed/filtered unless you save and reopen.)

I am having so much fun learning to use PSE 2! Only had it two days!

[text was edited by author 2003-07-27 20:51:16]

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

MLOK5

MVM

Wow! I love what you did with your second frame, carynoc. That is beautiful. I can't believe you've only been using PSE2 for two days. Very impressive!

carynoc
Just Ducky
Premium Member
Whitmore Lake, MI

1 recommendation

carynoc

Premium Member

Thank you Fritty!!! I just tried the technique on another photo I posted in the gallery that isn't doing to well. Although still not great, I think the technique makes the photo pop a little more.

To quote psysmith, I just can't stop playing!
[text was edited by author 2003-07-27 22:12:37]

samburgers
Premium Member
join:2001-05-23
Vancouver, BC

samburgers to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Haha...gj TS, now many are adding their bordered pictures to the gallery

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

MLOK5 to carynoc

MVM

to carynoc
said by carynoc:
Thank you Fritty!!! I just tried the technique on another photo I posted in the gallery that isn't doing to well. Although still not great, I think the technique makes the photo pop a little more.
Ignore the votes -- this is an interesting picture. I love the frame. I'm addicted to PS7, so I totally know what you mean!

samburgers
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

samburgers to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Thanks tiggerstales!

They both look awesome!

However, on the second set of instructions, I could not get the buttonize thing to work. It looks exactly the same as before I applied it. Oh well.

carynoc
Just Ducky
Premium Member
Whitmore Lake, MI

carynoc

Premium Member

For this particular picture, I like the second frame better! Great pic!

samburgers
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

samburgers

Premium Member

Thanks

dennilfloss
Liberal And Loving It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-09
Ottawa, ON

dennilfloss to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
For people who use Photoshop, the free Harry's Filters plugin does basic frames that you can modify afterwards. That plugin also works with PSP, The Gimp and a few other programs.

I like the idea of the little shadow under the picture. Here's a test pic for me in Photoshop 5.0.

mikeky
Premium Member
join:2001-12-07
Kentucky

mikeky to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Wow. Never thought a frame could so dramatically affect how a photo looks, but it really can totally change the focus. Thanks for the tips and examples!

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to MLOK5

Mod

to MLOK5
Thanks tiggerstales, I have used borders many times before but I had never used the drop shadow or buttonize, they look great.

Paula
Premium Member
join:2000-10-12
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Paula to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
You can start the record script function the first time you make the frame and then save the script when done. Then you can do it with one click.:D

climbers
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06

1 recommendation

climbers to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5

I've added two new photoshop frame actions to this thread: »Have you been framed? I thought it best to keep all my frame actions in one place, and only mention them here.

hocktwoie
Premium Member
join:2000-12-18
Fort Worth, TX

4 recommendations

hocktwoie to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5

FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
20mm 1/500th F2.8 ISO100

FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
15.6mm 1/320th F2.8 ISO100

Here are a couple of frames that were created with a Photoshop action. You can get the frame actions at this link if interested.

»www.outdooreyes.com/phot ··· n20.php3

scottv11
Question Authority
Premium Member
join:2000-12-09
New Castle, PA

1 recommendation

scottv11 to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Perhaps this needs a thread of it's own. I will leave this up to the Mods.
If anyone wants to take digital underwater I will be happy to share my experiences and advice.
I am not a pro but have a lot of time underwater and can share a lot of camera nonspecific advice learned through hard luck and experience.

JeffB8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-20
Somewhere

1 recommendation

JeffB8 to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Click for full size
Thanks Tiggerstales! I d/l the trial of PSP8, it makes doing this SOOOO easy

LMari
join:2002-12-19
Coconut Crk

LMari to tiggerstales

to tiggerstales
I have PSP7 and I did the first step. How do you add color to your border?

Thanks for your patience!

tiggerstales

join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.

tiggerstales

Your border will always be your background color in PSP7. Just set your background color to the color you want to use before you click on image, add borders.

LMari
join:2002-12-19
Coconut Crk

LMari

Thanks, I did it!

AzzKicker
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Edinburg, TX

AzzKicker to JeffB8

Premium Member

to JeffB8
said by JeffB8:
Thanks Tiggerstales! I d/l the trial of PSP8, it makes doing this SOOOO easy
Wow theres a double rainbow there too

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

Edit This to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
First attempt ever.

carynoc
Just Ducky
Premium Member
Whitmore Lake, MI

carynoc

Premium Member

Nice job Hullodare!

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
Allen, TX

MLOK5

MVM

This thread is now closed to new photo submissions, but is still open for critiques and suggestions about the photos posted in it.

The new Technique! thread has started: Technique! Week 2

chris_j11
join:2003-01-10
canada

chris_j11 to carynoc

to carynoc
just ducky

i'm just starting to play with my photoshop7 and i'm really impress by your framing technique

maybe you can provide me a newbie tutorial (your posted tutorial was a little to complicated for me) on how you created the roses2 and bellflower2 frames (hopefully with step by step pictures), if not possible maybe you can provide me a link that will teach me how you did those cool framing