Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to azarby

Premium Member

to azarby

Re: SSID Broadcast Enable or Disable?

Azarby chance have you looked at the ZyXEL products. It has 802.1X with the option of a user database on the appliance, no need for an external database, Purrrrfect for home use.
Albeit it currently is only at the Md5 stage (better than nothing) but future PEAP should have something similar. Thus I am not sure if what your saying is completely true.
Mind you I do not know now from BBarreras post how WPA and 802.1X will be integrated or AES and 802.1X for that matter.
azarby
join:2003-07-03
Phoenix, AZ

azarby

My equipment is already up and running. No need to buy anything else now, unless something breaks.

azarby

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to Anav

MVM

to Anav
Anav, have you had a chance to look at Linksys, Belkin or Buffalo products with WPA? They get rid of WEP altogether and use TKIP (or AES). They also support 802.1x modes that are compatible with Windows XP (my primary wireless OS).

To understand WPA setup you don't need WPA gear to play around with. Just go over to »www.smallnetbuilder.com and check out the NeedToKnows.

Here is WPA-PSK setup in a Belkin router:
»www.timhiggins.com/Secti ··· age8.php

Here is WPA Radius setup in a Belkin router:
»www.timhiggins.com/Secti ··· age9.php

Here is WinXP setup for home user with WPA-PSK:
»www.timhiggins.com/Secti ··· ge10.php

Here is WinXP setup for enterprise user with WPA using the 802.1x EAP-TLS or EAP-PEAP:
»www.timhiggins.com/Secti ··· ge11.php

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I will look at those links eventually but do any other vendors offer 802.1X without the need for a radius server like ZyXEl in their new WPA/TKIP offerings??

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

Yes, Proxim offers internal database and external RADIUS in one of the Orinoco APs. I'll be surprised if you look at the links, it seems as though if it isn't Zyxel it isn't worth your attention. Of course, until Zyxel offers same feature.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Orinoco is too expensive and the others are sold by marketers who have no clue on what they are actually selling, yup will wait till zyxel makes it