MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX

MLOK5

MVM

Technique! Week 3

Welcome to Technique! Week 3. Week 2 is officially closed for new photos. Special Thanks to tiggerstales See Profile for sharing her framing techniques with us!!! I know we all had fun uploading our newly framed pics.

The goal of this thread is for one of the members of the forum to share a photographic technique with the rest of the forum. Then we can all practice this technique & upload our results. The technique doesn't have to be limited to digital editing. It can be related to other things as well, like exposure, depth-of-field, etc. A good example of a technique thread can be found here.

Who has a technique they'd like to share with the forum?

AzzKicker
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Edinburg, TX

5 recommendations

AzzKicker

Premium Member

Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G3
28mm 1/320th F4

I guess I'll try this. This is no new technique, but I like to use it to bring out colors i feel make the photo.

To do this all you need to do is, duplicate layer, then go to hue/saturation and put them on lowest setting. It should make the image black and white. Then add VECTOR MASK. Once that is done, you will notice your paint brush tool has a black and white color. Use the black to add the color back where you use paintbrush. And the White to make it black and white again.

you should end up with somethink like this.
AzzKicker

AzzKicker to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G3
28mm 1/320th F4

HERE IS ORIGINAL

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX

3 recommendations

MLOK5

MVM

This is fun!! Here's my try at it.....

carynoc
Just Ducky
Premium Member
join:2003-07-17
Whitmore Lake, MI

2 recommendations

carynoc to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Minolta DiMAGE F300
23mm 1/15th F4.7 ISO200

My try...he is so sweet, but I thought this photo makes him look evil!

Fritty, love the red in your post!

HeyDriver
No.2 Fuel Oil Rules
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Souderton, PA

1 recommendation

HeyDriver to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Thanks Azzkicker for the tip!! This is very cool. Here's my try. I took this two autumns ago along the PA Turnpike.
Awesome!!
Walt

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

4 recommendations

Edit This to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
I love this technique...Thank you for posting it.

JeffB8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-20
Somewhere

JeffB8 to AzzKicker

Premium Member

to AzzKicker
said by AzzKicker:
To do this all you need to do is, duplicate layer, then go to hue/saturation and put them on lowest setting. It should make the image black and white. Then add VECTOR MASK. Once that is done, you will notice your paint brush tool has a black and white color. Use the black to add the color back where you use paintbrush. And the White to make it black and white again.

you should end up with somethink like this.
Which paint program did you do this in? I have a couple of questions (I'm new to digital editing).

First, when I adjust the hue/saturation, it applies to both layers, not just the copy. How do I make it apply to just the layer copy?

I can't find the VECTOR MASK to save my butt! Is it possible for someone to expand on the instructions for an OLD dumba$$ like me?

AzzKicker
Premium Member
Edinburg, TX

3 recommendations

AzzKicker

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I'll do it, Let me create a little tutorial thingy. Oh, and I used PHOTOSHOP. I'm sure any PSP can do this as well. I'm a little busy right now, but if you PSP instead of Photoshop I can do that one as well. Should be same though.

So basically you have:

STEP 1: Open your picture
STEP 2: DUPLICATE LAYER by right clicking original layer and clicking duplicate

STEP 3: CLICK the COPY LAYER which should be BACKGROUND COPY or whatever you named the duplicated layer

STEP 4: Once you've clicked the Ducplicated layer, go to Image/Adjustments/Hue and Saturation. Thats where you put Hugh and Saturation to lowest setting which makes picture black and white.

STEP 5: ADD VECTOR MASK

STEP 6: USE the Baint Brush tool to go over any parts of the image you want in color.

[text was edited by author 2003-08-03 11:57:37]

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag

Macy

MVM,

said by AzzKicker:
I'll do it, Let me creat a little tutorial thingy.
Thanks, AzzKicker!
I have one request though...when you create your "little tutorial thingy" could you please type very, very slow so even I can understand it. I must be a slow reader! And having quite a hard time figuring out these layering effects. Still trying though and that is such an awesome technique.
~Macy

tiggerstales

join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.

2 recommendations

tiggerstales to JeffB8

to JeffB8
If you're using PSP8, open your image, then click on layers, duplicate. With the new layer selected, click on adjust, hue/saturation/lightness, and move the saturation slider all the way to the bottom. Next click on layers, new mask layer, show all. Now just use the paintbrush tool to paint the areas that you want to be in color. If you make a mistake, just swap your paint color to white to cover it up.

JeffB8
Premium Member
Somewhere

JeffB8 to AzzKicker

Premium Member

to AzzKicker
Thanks Azz! That was much easier to follow. A picture is WORTH a thousand words

AzzKicker
Premium Member
Edinburg, TX

AzzKicker to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
I tried making a video of me doing it with my G3 but lets just say that didnt come out too clear I tried though.

JeffB8
Premium Member
Somewhere

1 recommendation

JeffB8 to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
NIKON E885
11.1mm 1/30th F8.8 ISO100

Started with something simple...blurred out name on cake

AlgoAsi
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22

AlgoAsi to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's not working. I end up painting black on the foreground....

HeyDriver
No.2 Fuel Oil Rules
Premium Member
join:2000-12-04
Souderton, PA

HeyDriver to tiggerstales

Premium Member

to tiggerstales

FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
22mm 1/125th F2.8 ISO100

FUJIFILM FinePix 3800
6mm 1/4th F2.8 ISO100

said by tiggerstales:
If you're using PSP8,.............Next click on layers, new mask layer, show all. Now just use the paintbrush tool to paint the areas that you want to be in color. If you make a mistake, just swap your paint color to white to cover it up.

tiggerstales See Profile Hi!.
I found that when I add the new mask layer, if I select to add "From Image" I'm able to use the "left click = B/W, right click = color" option the AzzKicker See Profile had mentioned in his first post. Then if I make a mistake I just go back over with either the left or right mouse button to fix it. I also use Zoom to get in close. And, I adjust my brush size accordingly.
Does this work for you also. My PSP8 ver. is 8.01.
Here's some pics of our Tigger. The mad cat from hell.
:D

tiggerstales

B'ham, Al.

4 recommendations

tiggerstales

Click for full size
OLYMPUS C4100Z,C4000Z
9.1mm 1/160th F2.8 ISO100

said by HeyDriver:

I found that when I add the new mask layer, if I select to add "From Image" I'm able to use the "left click = B/W, right click = color" option the AzzKicker See Profile had mentioned in his first post. Then if I make a mistake I just go back over with either the left or right mouse button to fix it. I also use Zoom to get in close. And, I adjust my brush size accordingly.
Does this work for you also.
Probably, but I use a tablet and pen, so I just switch colors on the color palette. I love your Tigger pics.

Here's my try.

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

1 recommendation

Edit This to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot G2
7mm 1/400th F4

Another one.

AlgoAsi
Premium Member

3 recommendations

AlgoAsi to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
SONY CYBERSHOT
9.7mm 1/125th F2.2 ISO100

Azz, I'm still not getting your technique to work for some reason, I'm probably missing something really simple...anyway, I did this one in one layer using the magnetic lasso...
ideamouth
join:2003-08-02

ideamouth to MLOK5

to MLOK5
playing around here ...

TonyLooch
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12
Pittsburgh, PA

TonyLooch to AlgoAsi

Premium Member

to AlgoAsi
said by AlgoAsi:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's not working. I end up painting black on the foreground....
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7573316~root=dimaging~mode=flat;iframe=1#7575637

On step five when you add the layer mask make sure you click on that little icon to add Layer Mask

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/400949~7b067b1af67096b839b7874fb0a75986/step3.jpg

Do not use Layer --> Add Vector mask --->

because if you do it that way it won't work. I tried that and it just painted black on the canvas.

AlgoAsi
Premium Member

AlgoAsi to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
thanks, I'll keep trying...

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

2 recommendations

fourboxers to MLOK5

Mod

to MLOK5
Click for full size
SONY CYBERSHOT
24mm 1/30th F5.3 ISO320

I finally got it to work, I took this picture a few weeks ago and the moth was well camouflaged with the brick, I can see it better now.

Thanks AzzKicker for the tutorial, tiggerstales for the PSP directions and pcysmith for last week suggesting to make a script. Now my new frame and this technique are scripts.

I found out by accident if the paintbrush is grey it paints muted colours.
[text was edited by author 2003-08-04 10:35:41]
Wallslide
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

2 recommendations

Wallslide to MLOK5

to MLOK5
Click for full size
I stumbled across this forum, and had to give it a try

mikeky
Premium Member
join:2001-12-07
Kentucky

4 recommendations

mikeky to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5

NIKON E5700
8.9mm 1/141th +0.3ev F8 ISO100

I really like this. The original of the attached had some distracting color that took away from the sunset, so making it black and white and then painting back in the sky and water took that away!

AzzKicker
Premium Member
Edinburg, TX

AzzKicker to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
niiiice mikey

prwood
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Salem, MA

1 recommendation

prwood to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Click for full size
NIKON E775
5.8mm 1/344th F7.9 ISO100

Here's my attempt. Source was this photo which I took at Crater Lake in Oregon and submitted as part of the 26 Things scavenger hunt.

Incidentally, this is the first time I've ever tried something in Photoshop beyond simple resizing/brightness/contrast. Fun!

Nothlit
Premium Member
Lexington, MA

2 recommendations

Nothlit to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5

EASTMAN KODAK DX3900 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
14.6mm 1/180th F4

Thanks to tiggerstales See Profile's wonderful PSP explanation, I managed to come up with this. The red sign is rather obvious, but a bit more subtle are the colored shingles on the roof of the building.

I always wondered how to do this! Now that I know, I'm gonna have a lot of fun going back and finding old photos that would look good with a color solo.

NJChris9
PS3 Xbox ID Zzaz
Premium Member
join:2000-02-08
Pompton Lakes, NJ

NJChris9 to MLOK5

Premium Member

to MLOK5
Hmm I cant get this to work on PSP 7.0. I get to make the duplicate layer, take off hue & saturation, then there is a MASK menu item and I click that, then NEW, then show all and I just end up drawing on it.

tiggerstales

B'ham, Al.

tiggerstales

After clicking on mask, new, show all, click on masks,edit. Then try painting with black and see if that works for you.