penguin356
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Somewhere

penguin356

Premium Member

Check out this Email thread with Linksys Tech Sup

_________________________Last Reply from Linksys____________

Then You might want to try another router. The speed will be slower, because of the firewall. I wanted you to try to reflash it to see if it was the firmware

_______________________My reply____________________________

Thanks for the quick response. As noted in the first email, I am already running that version of the firmware. I have tried adjusting the MTU setting in the router and have not seen a difference.

______________________First Response_______________________

Thank you for purchasing a Linksys product. We are committed to providing you with the best products, services and support available. Please see your answer below.

Try this firmware and adjust your MTU in the filters tab

Again, thank you for purchasing Linksys. Our goal is to meet your needs and concerns, and to exceed your expectations whenever possible. If this information does not answer your questions, or if there is anything else
we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us again. If You are responding to this e-mail, please keep all previous correspondence as a point of reference

______________________Original____________________________

To whom it may concern,

I recently purchased a BEFSR41 cable/DSL router. I was very pleased with the ease of setup. I only took about 30 minutes to set it up and start surfing. I have noticed one thing that has me concerned. My download speeds have
dropped. I do know that cable is shared media and my download speeds will vary. Before installation. I was averaging 600 - 800 Kb per download. After installation, I am downloaded at 400 - 500 Kb. I checked the help forum over
at DSLReports.com, which by the way is very helpful. I flashed the firmware to 1.38.5. This made no difference. For argument sake, I discounted the router and connected back to my cable modem. My speed shot back up to 600Kb.
Obviously, something is wrong. I would very much appreciate any and all help/assistance that you can offer.

nixus0
join:2001-02-02
Fayetteville, AR

nixus0

Interesting! Wonder which router he uses?

I've been meaning to test my speed direct (without router), but it's such a hassle because I have to install the EnterNet software (DSL).

But now that I've seen this post I think I'll go to the trouble, and do some benchmarking.

Thanks!

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217 to penguin356

to penguin356
I suggest you take the offer of a replacement router from Linksys. I have seen this problem posted here before and in some or most of the cases a different router has cleared the problem up or so they have posted as to it helping. A number have had no luck with correcting the problem.
For some unknown reason some units have this effect upon some of the services they are connected to.
System

to penguin356

Anon

to penguin356
Can you e-mail me the e-mail?

As for the speed, what version of the router do you have? Have you been playing with the MTU size of your nic cards?

Angelique Pottham Du

Anon

I use a LinkSys BEFSR41 on an ADSL connection and get maximum download speeds of 91 kByte/s.
System

to nixus0

Anon

to nixus0

Speed Test

I'm using a BEFSR41 v1. (1.37, Jan 03 2001) with cable. I also have a Linksys EFAH05W 5-port hub which I used until my ISP limited users to one IP. (I now use the 41 with less firewall software)

I've done a few speed comparisons by swapping the hub in place of the 41. Since my LAN uses DHCP, I just power down the 41, swap in the hub, power up, then use WINIPCFG to grap an IP for ONE computer from my ISP. (I have my 41 MAC Clone set to my NIC MAC so my ISP doesn't know the difference between the 41 and my NIC)

Using this method, I've never seen a noticeable difference in transfer speeds.

At work, we have a Linksys 16-port switch behind a PC running WinPOET & WinProxy on ADSL rated at 8Mbps. We're far enough from the ISP that we don't have to worry about getting close to 8Mbps!
palmero8
join:2000-11-04
Hialeah, FL

palmero8 to penguin356

to penguin356

Linksys , Voice and Netmeeting?

Any of you guys know how to configure the Linksys to work with voice and NetMeeting? I'm having a hard time to made them work together. Thanks in advance.