All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
drgreenthumb
join:2003-08-10
Parkville, MD

drgreenthumb

Can someone help me pick a computer please?

I know this seems like a stupid question but i want to get the most for my money and im pretty much clueless when it comes to this...

newho if ya got the time could ya tell me which of these comps is best overall and which is best costwise?

1)amd 2400,256ddr,80gb hd,dvd,cd-rw for 489.97 after rebates

2)celeron 2.5ghz,256ddr,80gb,dvd,cd-rw for 529.97 after rebates

3)pent 4 2.4ghz,512ddr,80gb,dvd,cd-rw for 779.97 aftter rebates

my friend says beast deal and best comp overall is the amd cause its same performance wise but handles multitaskin better and the p4 is only priced higher cause of the name...could anyone shine some light on this subject for me please? Thanks in advance...if u can right a reason behind ur madness please do

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist

Premium Member

First off.. Welcome to DSLR Definitely forget about the Celery.. not so hot

Truthfully you will prolly never see a difference between the Intel and the AMD... They are both as good as each other... If you plan on doing intensive video editing, CAD type 3d rendering, etc... (which I doubt you are since machines appear to be pre-built).. Then AMD should serve you greatly.. Only thing I would recommend would be to upgrade the memory on the AMD to 512MB instead of 256MB... 256MB just isn't going to cut it now a days IMHO... But 512MB is plenty Now.. one more question prior to saying definitely AMD.. what is the motherboard that is going to be used in the Intel and also which one in the AMD? Also, what brands are they?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to drgreenthumb

MVM

to drgreenthumb
I agree with Gemologist See Profile, forget about the Celeron and if you decide to go with the AMD pump up the memory to at least 512MB. Other than that it is user preference. I prefer Intel myself. You can spend less money on an AMD or you can pay for the Intel name. Also might want to know if the P4 is an 800FSB, if it is, go with the P4.
truemobile
join:2002-02-06
Danbury, CT

truemobile to drgreenthumb

to drgreenthumb
Hi,
The advice to forget the Celron is dead on. However the price you are quoting for a P4 seems a bit high. If you are buying a pre-built system (as it appears you are). It may be helpful to investigate sites such as techbargains.com to see what the guru's of online ordering have come up with.

A 3.2Ghz 800Mhz P4 was on for $823 I think over there yesterday. Reducing it to a P4 2.4Ghz (hyperthreaded) the cost became $423 (this is in a large server box with the 875 chipset). Generally it's hard to beat the shopping finesse of those who really know the technology and spend time salivating over the lastest offers from HP/Compaq, Dell and Gateway. Happy hunting