spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hqh510
join:2001-03-24
Manassas, VA

hqh510 to china crisis

to china crisis

Re: Comcast Bandwidth Exceeded Notice!!!

LOL. More like over 200GB a month just for my Internet radio streams.
said by china crisis:
Well at least we know it's more than 1 GIG. a month.

* turns off kazaa and deletes the 64MB OOL download test file from faviorets*

hbreg
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
Feasterville Trevose, PA

hbreg to JTRockville

Premium Member

to JTRockville
said by JTRockville:

But even so, I only transmitted text (the url of the image), not the actual image.
JT, sshh, next us Comcast customers will see transmitting text will be against the AUP. LOL

hqh510
Manassas, VA

hqh510 to MrBradTX

to MrBradTX
I think the bandwidth consumption was outrageous to them that I stood out. I never boasted about how much I downloaded to people, so that isn't going to the reason for this notice.
said by MrBradTX:

So if the AUP is to be believed, either someone ratted you out, or your bandwidth consumption was so outrageously high that it stood out from the crowd and was noticed.
hqh510

hqh510 to MikeStammer

to MikeStammer
Yes, DSL is available in my area, but I won't get the awesome speed as I'm getting from Comcast. Plus, it costs a lot for DSL. A bit more for a Comcast speed equivalent Internet line if it was offered.
said by MikeStammer:

Is DSL available in your area? Show them how much you cut down on your usage via Comcast and switch!

hqh510

hqh510 to FFH5

to FFH5
Nah, there's no virus on my computer nor do I run a server. I just have my computer on to capture the Internet radio streams, using at least 43% of the bandwidth.
said by FFH5:
After reading the scanned letter posted here I don't see anything that says it was download that was exceeded. Maybe it was a server running and the upload was running full burst. That is what would normally trigger a letter from the abuse and fraud team. Maybe a virus on the system has spawned a server process or some file sharing may be going on.
hqh510

hqh510 to JTRockville

to JTRockville
If that was the case, it would suck big time. If my account was ever terminated, I would ask to see numbers around the whole area and file a big lawsuit against them. But that won't happen because it isn't true. I'm guessing it all started when I started to capture more than 2 radio streams and upped it to 5 streams when I found out there were more channels to listen to.
said by JTRockville:
So... if you live around a bunch of people who only use CHSI to check their mail, your likelihood of being labeled an "abuser" increases?
njkris
Yeah - Im G-Unit
join:2002-08-19
Berkeley Heights, NJ

1 recommendation

njkris to hqh510

to hqh510
Thank god all the kids in my town use Kazaa like it's going to be shut down. with my new pro line - I'm going to be downloading about 1GB of backups per day
JonIrenicas
join:2002-06-22

JonIrenicas to hqh510

to hqh510
said by hqh510:
My computer that was downloading the radio streams was on 24 hours a day throughout the month. So basically, I ate up 6.9GB per day alone just from my computer. There was 31 days in July, so that would mean I ate up about 214GB in that month. By these calculations, this is just by using up 43% of the bandwidth available given by Comcast with their 1500Kbps.

Why did you need to stream so many radio stations 24 hours a day every day? Was it out of pure fun? Because you can?

hbreg
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
Feasterville Trevose, PA

hbreg to njkris

Premium Member

to njkris
said by njkris:
Thank god all the kids in my town use Kazaa like it's going to be shut down. with my new pro line - I'm going to be downloading about 1GB of backups per day

Like JT mentioned earlier in this thread, g-d forbid you live near a retirement community.

And speaking of which if i did live near a retirement community and you lived in a town with a lot of kids using Kazaa, your usage allowance would be greater than mine according to Comcast. I am almost certain this won't hold up unless or until they put it in writing exactly what the limit is, and then all of the whiners will come out about download caps. Maybe this is the start of that?

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to hqh510

MVM

to hqh510
I'm sorry, but this is total BS. If they don't have a hardcoded number somewhere and then can't tell you what a "limit" is, something stinks.

I'd pursue them and go right up the chain asking how much bandwidth you consumed and what the "limit" is.

Man, I'm pissed and it didn't even happen to me.

hqh510
Manassas, VA

hqh510 to JonIrenicas

to JonIrenicas
Because I liked the music that's played over the Internet 24x7x365. Go to www.di.fm. Trance music.

I hate the music that's playing on the regular standard non-digital radio in the car. So I compile my own music on CDs to listen to. Now these are much more enjoyable to listen to than all that crap played in the car radio.
said by JonIrenicas:

Why did you need to stream so many radio stations 24 hours a day every day? Was it out of pure fun? Because you can?
hqh510

hqh510 to seaquake

to seaquake
Yeah, I'm going to ask them. I'm going to see if the Comcast tech knows anything about the limits in my area. A Comcast tech is coming by tomorrow to see what the heck is wrong with my cable channels. They just seemed to be snowed out. Can't even see more than half the channels anymore, nor even listen to.

What a craptastic service from Comcast.
said by seaquake:
I'm sorry, but this is total BS. If they don't have a hardcoded number somewhere and then can't tell you what a "limit" is, something stinks.

I'd pursue them and go right up the chain asking how much bandwidth you consumed and what the "limit" is.

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond to hqh510

Premium Member

to hqh510
said by hqh510:
said by Kip patterson:
That's over 1600 gigabits per month.

And you think that should be acceptable?
Yes, it should be acceptable. Using an "always on" Internet connection that is advertised by Comcast should be acceptable. Now, with their crap-tastic policies noting about bandwidth hogging, they give no numbers to define what's using too much bandwidth and what not. Now that's just plain dumb when they try to enforce the rules.
The annoying thing is that they don't tell you how much you will need to reduce your usage to become compliant.
said by hqh510:
Yes, DSL is available in my area, but I won't get the awesome speed as I'm getting from Comcast. Plus, it costs a lot for DSL. A bit more for a Comcast speed equivalent Internet line if it was offered.
Okay so this sucks, but you don't want to pay more for the sucking to end?

Well, you get what pay for I guess.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:
said by J D McDorce:
I wonder what one can expect if/when they raise the download caps.
After reading the scanned letter posted here I don't see anything that says it was download that was exceeded. Maybe it was a server running and the upload was running full burst. That is what would normally trigger a letter from the abuse and fraud team. Maybe a virus on the system has spawned a server process or some file sharing may be going on.
In a recent bandwidth usage cap discussion (How much bandwitch is acceptable at comcast?), I specifically asked about upstream utilization on a cable network. JD quickly referred me to Comcast's revolutionary network management model, which dispels the myth that high utilization of upstream bandwidth will degrade the network.

jsolo1
Premium Member
join:2001-07-01
PRIL

jsolo1 to hqh510

Premium Member

to hqh510
Very interesting thread indeed.

I wonder when my letter will be arriving....

I can say one thing, living in an college community, that in about 2 weeks, my avg will be right in line with the avg of my neighbors

The letter truely is obsurd. Like getting a warning for exceeding an unposted speed limit.

Until they start providing hard numbers and data, I would probably disregard the letter, as its a bunch of words strung together that that as a whole amount to very little other than a thread and harrassment.

Perhaps if they included data such as the avg usage for period of x to y was z number of gigabytes, and yours was w # of gigabytes, exceeding the average by 1000% or something percentage, when acceptable limits are not over 110%.

Even that would be wordy, but at least it would have some meaning to it....

-----------

PS to the original poster, when was the letter dated, and when did you receive it?
[text was edited by author 2003-08-14 16:52:40]

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to china crisis

Premium Member

to china crisis
said by china crisis:
If they sent letters to everybody that was above the area average,50% of the area users would recieve letters.

Um, that would be the median (the point at which equal numbers appear both above and below that value), as opposed to the mean (average) and the mode (the most frequently occurring value).

mady

oliphant5
Got Identity?
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24
Corona, CA

oliphant5 to hqh510

Premium Member

to hqh510

Complete American Express Crap

They don't tell you the limit so WTF are you supposed to do? It's like American Express...yeah, we have no preset spending limits...so can you buy a Ferrari...well no. There somewhere in there is a preset spending limit. Same with this Comcast B.S.

BTW, not that I care about the "web hogging" but why 5 streaming stations...all at the same time?

iBLoStBoY
join:2002-11-29
Carson, CA

iBLoStBoY

What i don't get is that Comcast says they don't monitor individual's download and internet traffic - so how can they single you out? -

hqh510
Manassas, VA

hqh510 to oliphant5

to oliphant5
I stream 5 of them because they are all different genre with different artists and songs. If they were the same, I would only stream 1. There's a nice selection at »www.di.fm
said by oliphant5:
They don't tell you the limit so WTF are you supposed to do? It's like American Express...yeah, we have no preset spending limits...so can you buy a Ferrari...well no. There somewhere in there is a preset spending limit. Same with this Comcast B.S.

BTW, not that I care about the "web hogging" but why 5 streaming stations...all at the same time?
mattwz
Premium Member
join:2003-07-23
Berwyn, IL

mattwz

Premium Member

said by hqh510:
I stream 5 of them because they are all different genre with different artists and songs. If they were the same, I would only stream 1. There's a nice selection at »www.di.fm
said by oliphant5:

That site seems to be down.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville

Premium Member

I *think* that site is in New York.
fuzydice
join:2000-12-18
Sunnyvale, CA

fuzydice to hqh510

to hqh510

wow, comcast sucks. their method of determining "bandwidth hogs" is so wack its not even funny. can anyone else see a byte-cap being announced in the future? i sure can.

iBLoStBoY
Carson, CA

iBLoStBoY

There won't be a byte cap - don't get ahead of yourself.

oliphant5
Got Identity?
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24
Corona, CA

oliphant5 to hqh510

Premium Member

to hqh510

Re: Complete American Express Crap

said by hqh510:
said by oliphant5:

Yeah but you don't stream 1 at at time, changing channels just having a short buffering in between?

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium Member
Rockville, MD

JTRockville to iBLoStBoY

Premium Member

to iBLoStBoY

By the looks of that letter, there already is one.

iBLoStBoY
Carson, CA

iBLoStBoY

i guess your right - But 200+ GB a month! thats freakin outrageous! - the most i've been able to download is 60 gigs a month - thats the record - I understand that not everyone has the same habits on using bandwidth - i would question comcast on how they stated they don't monitor a person's internet traffic/bandwidth - rather the whole area - i would protest!

[text was edited by author 2003-08-14 17:57:13]

jimjar
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Tucson, AZ

jimjar to seaquake

Premium Member

to seaquake
I'd like to know 'why' also. Just curious. Do you sort them electronically looking for something ? (interesting commercials ?) Do you listen to pieces of them ? Archive them to tape ?
Kip patterson
Premium Member
join:2000-10-23
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

Kip patterson to MikeStammer

Premium Member

to MikeStammer
No, they did not sell it as "unlimited". The AUP spells out that there is a limit. It would be nice if they stated what it was, but they didn't.

Sorry, but I do not see how you can think that the amount you downloaded was reasonable. Comcast pays for their bandwidth, and 1,600 gigabits costs a lot more than what you paid for your service. You were also continually consuming 1/42 of the downstream you are on.
JonIrenicas
join:2002-06-22

JonIrenicas to jimjar

to jimjar
said by jimjar:
I'd like to know 'why' also. Just curious. Do you sort them electronically looking for something ? (interesting commercials ?) Do you listen to pieces of them ? Archive them to tape ?
Seriously how does one listen to 5 stations at once and while one is asleep? Is he Data from Star Trek? They said he could get a business account which seems reasonable to me if he wants to use such an unnecessary amount of bandwidth.
said by seaquake:

Dude hardcore is in the 50-70 gb range. 200+ gb a month is completely insane. Run a bandwidth meter (dumeter.com), you'd be surprised how hard 200 gb is to reach in a single month.

[text was edited by author 2003-08-14 18:35:12]

Phoenix__1
join:2003-07-17
Holyoke, MA

Phoenix__1

I keep thinking about what someone else here said....

"SO if I live next to a group of people, who only check their e-mail all day & I download a few files and surf, am I f*cked?" (not their words, but how I view it)