uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrFixitCT
pay it forward
Premium,VIP,ExMod 2001-06
join:2000-12-01
Charleston, SC
reply to hqh510

Re: Comcast Bandwidth Exceeded Notice!!!

May we get back to the subject? All are entitled to their opinions, everybody has one...

Thanks!

tcp1
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Herndon, VA
reply to hqh510

You're saying.. 200 gb is only PART of what you download?

Ok, I hate caps, and I think they're really annoying and are too tight sometimes.. But if you're downloading like.. 500gb a month?

Holy crap, dude..

tcp1
Premium
join:2000-04-17
Herndon, VA
reply to spectre5

My ass. I can't stand this. Everyone always yells LAWSUIT and CLASS ACTION!

If even a tenth of all the "threatened" lawsuits were carried out, it'd take 60 years to get on the People's Court or something.

There is NO case for a lawsuit here. Damn, we're litigious here aren't we?

And FYI people, to "smell a lawsuit", you need a lawyer to take your case. How much damage is this guy out? Zero. Not even an ambulance chaser would take it.

Good luck with the lawsuit BS. I hate caps as much as anyone like I said, but this guy was clearly abusing, and there's no legal standing.

And shut up about the word "unlimited". They didn't say "unlimited megabytes".. They DO NOT time you, you can be online for an unlimited amount of time, and the only 'limit' bandwidth-wise is that you're not unreasonable.

I'll have you know that most SLAs when you have your own T1 don't even let you max out the connection 24/7/365.

I still don't get this guy, 5 streams 24/7. Every day he downloaded 5 days worth of music. Say he only slept 6 hours a day and didn't have a job, and could listen to music 18 hours a day. That's 6 and a half days of listening to catch up for every day downloading. That's lunatic grade right there.

JonIrenicas

join:2002-06-22

As for the topic, after 32 pages and 630 posts can anything be discussed that hasn't already been discussed?
[text was edited by moderator]

stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to hqh510

Get a T1 line, and pay for your download speeds. Comcast is presuming your runn'in a SOHO line @ your residence, and wants you to pay accordingly. Nothing wrong w/that.

It seems to me you want something for less(residencial vs business account) and now you're bitching about download caps.

Nothing wrong w/what your doing, however, Comcast is going to shut you down w/your current account. If you want to stream 5 stations @/once, then consider other options.

Think about it....

stridr69

San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to hqh510

Why do you need a specific number that you can max out per month?

Think about this: Your area is having a drought-limited water available.....Get it????

Sheeeeze!!!

stridr69

San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to hbreg

The first time you sent them what you owed them in a given month, constitudes a contract.

Have a nice day....

stang03283

join:2003-08-16
Camden, NJ
reply to tcp1

said by tcp1:
My ass. I can't stand this. Everyone always yells LAWSUIT and CLASS ACTION!

If even a tenth of all the "threatened" lawsuits were carried out, it'd take 60 years to get on the People's Court or something.

There is NO case for a lawsuit here. Damn, we're litigious here aren't we?

And FYI people, to "smell a lawsuit", you need a lawyer to take your case. How much damage is this guy out? Zero. Not even an ambulance chaser would take it.

Good luck with the lawsuit BS. I hate caps as much as anyone like I said, but this guy was clearly abusing, and there's no legal standing.

And shut up about the word "unlimited". They didn't say "unlimited megabytes".. They DO NOT time you, you can be online for an unlimited amount of time, and the only 'limit' bandwidth-wise is that you're not unreasonable.

I'll have you know that most SLAs when you have your own T1 don't even let you max out the connection 24/7/365.

I still don't get this guy, 5 streams 24/7. Every day he downloaded 5 days worth of music. Say he only slept 6 hours a day and didn't have a job, and could listen to music 18 hours a day. That's 6 and a half days of listening to catch up for every day downloading. That's lunatic grade right there.
i argee this is not something that should become a lawsuite, if you can switch to dsl try that if not bitch at comcast till they come up with a better sulition i like the ideal of throyttling during peek times. I my self try to cut my bandwith usage down during peek times because i use alout of bandwith . It would be more easier if comcast set a throddle then more people that use alout of bandwith could cut doen during peek times. But limiting our bandwith is not a a good option. They do say unlimited usage if you call them and ask them they will say you can transfer as much as ur modem will let you. In their aup there is loop holes where they say that you cant use your internet to the point that it affectes someone els's connection. So legally in a cort of law they have every right to send out this letter. but i'm not saying the legal thing is always the right thing to do. They try to bs us into thinking we get more then they offer. All they are doing but this play on words is pissing off their customers. They really need to open their ears to suggestions. From reading this web site the past few days there is some extreamly intellegent people here who have alout of good suggestions. Why dont comcast open up a msg bord on their site abd listen to our suggestions and either use them or without insulting us tell us why they would not work. Happy customers are ones that are willing to shell out more $$$$$$$$$$$

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA

Comcast does have a msg board...»forums.comcast.net

Expand your moderator at work

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD
reply to tcp1

said by tcp1:
There could be "damages". The streams hqh510 See Profile downloaded were free. But suppose the streams were paid subscriptions, which were subscribed to without the knowledge that bandwidth caps would be imposed?

stang03283

Camden, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to hqh510

The fact that this topic has been streatched out so long just goes to show how strongly customers feel. Maby comcast should feel stronger about informing customers how their system works and some possible sulitions. Limit your usage isnt a solution. The dood using 500 gigs a month streaming can cut back to 475 gigs and and he would be doing exactly what comcast told him. do you really think that would help. I'm sure they have some kinda logs that tells them when all the bandwith is being used up and by who thats how they sent these letter isnt it. Why not instead of just sending out generial letters then can be interbited as thretning. why not send our more personal letter saying you are maxing out our bandwith during these hrs of the day can you please try to cut down your bandwith during these hrs . if you have any problems call our number and we will try give you intellegent advice on how to manage your bandwith better So that you can still get as much bandwith as possible without comprimising our us and your neighbord

J D McDorce
Premium
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI
reply to stridr69

Where in the contract (or in any other documentation) does Comcast state that Comcast High Speed Internet is a shared bandwidth network and that continuous use of advertised bandwidth can produce degraded performance for other customers?

Lokro
Premium
join:2002-12-28
Loveland, CO
reply to tcp1

said by tcp1:
I would love to see a T1 SLA saying you can only download "said amount"

You could download/upload all you want a month on a T1 and I guarantee you won't get no letter.

Sorry that just cracked me up. Please send those capped T1 SLA over to me!

thehaze22

join:2003-08-11
Arlington, WA
reply to hqh510

the 14th response in the original thread

z28kindaguy
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Brooklyn, MD
reply to hqh510

Wow, this topic had wings.

I'm gonna crank up my eMule, download total shit 24/7, and see if I get a letter.

This is quite rediculous. If they say you have unlimited usage... then where's the arguement?
--
SETI is a waste. Use your spare CPU cycles for a real cause, Join Team Discovery today!|11 Ghz of Crunching Power.

iBLoStBoY

join:2002-11-29
Carson, CA

WOoHO0o i am a WEBHOG!

[text was edited by author 2003-08-20 06:52:06]

iBLoStBoY

join:2002-11-29
Carson, CA

I had a thought for what its worth - As we all know Comcast is bending over for the RIAA, that said - Do you think we will see these letters sent out more often now? -
Not to that many people, but just enough to get the word out - WE ARE WATCHING YOU- like it has here - Could this be a scare tactic - well not for hqh51, his situation seems to be the real deal - I mean this is really a good way to get people to monitor their bandwidth - For people not to leave Kazaa or any other p2p program on (all day or all night) unless the person needs to download something - which would equal less users on these file sharing networks -

Comcast is sleeping with the RIAA

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium
join:2002-11-24
Honesdale, PA

said by iBLoStBoY:
Comcast is sleeping with the RIAA
What are you talking about? Do you have any proof of that or are you just spreading rumors?

--
-In a bad mood since 1824

aadic
Premium
join:2002-12-14
Trenton, NJ
reply to J D McDorce

said by J D McDorce:
Where in the contract (or in any other documentation) does Comcast state that Comcast High Speed Internet is a shared bandwidth network and that continuous use of advertised bandwidth can produce degraded performance for other customers?
That is common sense.

I agree with the statement that all possible things that could be said about this topic have been said. Think it is time to move on....

draven
Ex-Mod 2004-10
join:2002-02-20
my bunker
reply to hqh510

For what it's worth, I am staring at a full page Comcast ad in today's Philadelphia Inquirer. There is no mention of 'always-on' or 'unlimited' at all, and ads are designed and sent to the paper for running months in advance, so recent issues most likely have not had any impact.

Of course, their ads differ from market to market I'm sure.
--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin
Hey Bush, you paying attention to that?

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

reply to hqh510

Oh puleeeease - the OP downloads radio music 24/7 on his "always on, unlimited" service that he pays for - RELEASE THE HOUNDS! (end of sarcasim)

The fact that this thread has grown so huge leads me to believe that the hint of metered usage is a matter of concern for a lot of Comcast subscribers.

Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I don't understand how someone could be a "bandwidth hog" while speed caps are in place - unless they've uncapped themselves but this is not the case here.

If I understand correctly, the person here would like to know just exactly how much is too much but was not given a specific answer.
This is like telling your child he is not allowed to ride his bike outside of his boundries and that he will get punished if he does but not telling him just exactly what those boundries are.

I am sure Comcast must be aware of how *many* people feel about metered usage - they should be very well aware if they come here anyway not to mention the fact that in the past, people dumped their metered usage and flocked to unlimited service when it became available else where so perhaps they are being hesitant to do more than hint at such a thing at this time.

[text was edited by author 2003-08-20 10:35:57]

AnonymousDude

@cableone.net
reply to JTRockville

"Following that logic, 'lite' users should be charged less. They're not. There are many examples, broadband consumption and otherwise, where 'lite' users subsidize 'heavy' users."

Let me turn your thought upside-down:

Perhaps Comcast has been treating all of these people as lite users and have decided that they need to adjust some of the heavy users to pay their own way so that they don't have to subsidize so much from the lite users.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

If a system is overloaded to the point where a single user is affecting the performance of the entire network, then why are new subscribers still being added (for the "lite" price of $20/mo)?

There's nothing in Comcast's advertisements, or in the description of their high-speed products, to indicate the products are only suitable for "lite" users.

stang03283

Camden, NJ
reply to AnonymousDude

said by AnonymousDude:
"Following that logic, 'lite' users should be charged less. They're not. There are many examples, broadband consumption and otherwise, where 'lite' users subsidize 'heavy' users."

Let me turn your thought upside-down:

Perhaps Comcast has been treating all of these people as lite users and have decided that they need to adjust some of the heavy users to pay their own way so that they don't have to subsidize so much from the lite users.
are you a light user???? do you have a silver or a pro account. I admit i'm a heavy user. I have a pro account. I am paying more. . But a commerical account is not a option. thats fine for a business that can write it off on taxes. but if you are just a heavy user for home personal use pro should be fine. I'm straping my self to pay for pro. How can this be true that they are sending out these letters because other users cant reech their maxium bandwith. Why would you send out letters saying to switch to commericial. dosn;t that run on the same line as silver and pro. whould you still be using silver and pro's bandwith. If they can manage to tell the difference between silver and pro users how and they gona know the difference between pro and commerical. They are still gona stick the commerical users on the same node. How does this help- other users. all its gona do is put a fat bonus check in someones pocket

TheChosenOne2
I Will Bring Balance

join:2003-08-17
Deep River, CT

Knowing Comcast, they'd tell you to get a commercial service and then proceed to tell you that you can't get commercial service because you're in a residential zone.

jsolo1
Premium
join:2001-07-01

reply to hqh510

DIE THREAD DIE!

Isn't it time to put this thread to rest? 30 some screen fulls already!

I think most of us have gotten the message already
[text was edited by author 2003-08-20 13:05:44]