richtig
Music Is Emotion
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19
Australia

richtig

Premium Member

Why can't you count?

Why is it that towards the end of a thread, one often finds "Next Page" offered, but it goes to an "empty" page?
Surely this is either a "one-off" error (zero-origin vs 1-origin) or a simple miscalculation. In any case, the user, me, navigates forward only to find that I have wasted some navigation effort.

It really is untidy.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

it is due to one or more replies being erased by a mod. the replies counter doesn't deduct those replies once a mod removes them since they were once a valid reply to the thread. i have seen threads that show they have 20 replies, but once you open them they only have 5 or 6, maybe 10. the counter doesn't look at the current amount in the thread, but how many times it has been posted to.

richtig
Music Is Emotion
Premium Member
join:2003-02-19
Australia

richtig

Premium Member

said by davidg:
it is due to one or more replies being erased by a mod. the replies counter doesn't deduct those replies once a mod removes them since they were once a valid reply to the thread.
That may be the cause sometimes, but I am sure that I have seen threads, deletion-free, with the same problem.

Unless, of course, deletion is not always visible??
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig

MVM

said by richtig:
Unless, of course, deletion is not always visible??

Bingo!
[text was edited by author 2003-08-15 13:08:55]

nil

join:2000-11-27

1 recommendation

nil to richtig

to richtig
That's why we implemented the "deleted" tags.. except some moderators don't like how that looks and remove them too..

vkr

join:2001-04-03
Terra

vkr to richtig

to richtig
said by richtig:
Why is it that towards the end of a thread, one often finds "Next Page" offered, but it goes to an "empty" page?
Surely this is either a "one-off" error (zero-origin vs 1-origin) or a simple miscalculation. In any case, the user, me, navigates forward only to find that I have wasted some navigation effort.

It really is untidy.

May also occur when we trim a flame out of the thread. Post count will be wrong again.

I don't see how it's that big of a deal, unless you're on dialup or something.

Optimized
MVM,
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

1 recommendation

Optimized to richtig

MVM,

to richtig
This is a no win situation. If they put the "deleted" tags in people will complain that it looks messy as well. Personally I prefer that the entire post and any evidence of it gets removed.

The solution to there being no empty spaces is for people to post more responsibly.

vkr

join:2001-04-03
Terra

vkr

People have complained it looks messy with the delete tags. I personally prefer them, because it leaves a road map in the aftermath.