Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Memphis, TN

NunyaBidness to JonIrenicas

Premium Member

to JonIrenicas

Re: Singled out

quote:

You must not have read the thread. This guy didn't download an innocent 30 gigs and everyone around him just checks their email. This guy admitted he streamed 5 radio stations on one computer and more on another computer 24/7 and may have downloaded over 500 gigs in the month of July. He could have bandwidth hogs all around him and he'd still blow them away. Further more if they were giving out these letters to people who download a measly 30 gigs and are just in neighborhoods where people just use it to check their email then we would have heard about other such cases. But this is the first time we have heard about someone being sent a letter about using too much bandwidth and it's the first time i have ever seen a residential user say they've used more then 150 gigs in a single month. Again he said he could have used over 500 gigs! Talk about the internets all time biggest bandwidth wasters.
does "Unlimited" have another meaning in your world?
to me "Unlimited" means that I shouldn't have to worry about hitting an invisible cap on downloads.

talk about download police
good grief

ravital
Just Another Pesky Independent Nh Voter
Premium Member
join:2001-07-19
Merrimack, NH

2 recommendations

ravital

Premium Member

said by NunyaBidness:
does "Unlimited" have another meaning in your world?
to me "Unlimited" means that I shouldn't have to worry about hitting an invisible cap on downloads.

talk about download police
good grief

There is an adult meaning of the word, then there's the regular meaning. I'm never a friend of the cable providers, but this time they're correct. They thought they were addressing adults - so sure, they need to readjust their reality filters - but to an adult, unlimited means "as much as I can, not as much as I want" and it also means "not at the expense of impeding someone else who is paying as much as me for unlimited, and whose greenbacks are as green as mine."

That's what it means in my world.

This is like the fellow who complained here on BBR about a letter he got from Emusic.com - they also promise "Unlimited" downloads, and his gripe is that they sent him a letter similar to the above after he downloaded something like 300 full albums in one weekend and don't give a damn about other paying customers who want to use the service, he's some kind of Commander Data, gotta listen to 5 CDs all at the same time. Good grief indeed.

It's always going to be the craziest, nuttiest, most immature users who will prompt service providers to impose limits that are completely unnecessary for 99.999% of us, and who are going to end up impacting the experience for all of us.

Wanna stream 17 radio stations 65 hours a day? Buy yourself your own T1, T3, or T-whatever the hell it is this week, and stay out of the way of the general public, we don't deserve to be in your Olympian environment to begin with.
joebear29
totesmcgoats
join:2003-07-20
Alabaster, AL

joebear29

Amen.
WolfJaguar
join:2003-03-20
Portland, OR

WolfJaguar to ravital

to ravital
You can't be that general about a definition of the word. A Lawyer will say that unlimited in advertising still means unlimited, webster's dictionary version.

Regardless of how much you or I reasonably use a connection, unlimited to me, a grown college educated adult, means as much as I want.

That's not to say I'm downloading 500 gigs a month, only a mere 50 or so. And that's on a good month

dangerweasel7
Confirmed Luddite
join:2000-07-21
Portland, OR

dangerweasel7

Now you are getting into the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. And a lawyer can argue all he wants, but if the judge and/or the jury do not agree, he has wasted his time, so to speak.
room200
join:2000-09-08
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

room200 to ravital

to ravital
Actually, unlimited means without or having no limits. There is NO OTHER WAY to interpret this.

Unlimited-
adj.
Having no restrictions or controls: an unlimited travel ticket.
Having or seeming to have no boundaries; infinite: an unlimited horizon.
Without qualification or exception; absolute: unlimited self-confidence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
un·limit·ed·ly adv.
un·limit·ed·ness n.
unlimited

\Un*lim"it*ed\, a. 1. Not limited; having no bounds; boundless; as, an unlimited expanse of ocean.

2. Undefined; indefinite; not bounded by proper exceptions; as, unlimited terms. ``Nothing doth more prevail than unlimited generalities.'' --Hooker.

3. Unconfined; not restrained; unrestricted.

ravital
Premium Member
Merrimack, NH

1 recommendation

ravital

Premium Member

said by room200:
Actually, unlimited means without or having no limits. There is NO OTHER WAY to interpret this.

Actually, I point to your own post which contradicts you. One of the definitions you cheerfully provided was:
said by room200:

Having or seeming to have no boundaries; infinite: an unlimited horizon.
Did you see that? "..or seeming to have no boundaries..."

In addition to that, examples of the opposite abound:

Example 1. Take a look at the following series of numbers:

1, .5, .25, .125, .0625, etc...

Is this series Infinite? Sure it is, it will always be possible to find a number that is half the value of the one preceding it.

Is it unlimited? No. It is limited, or better yet, bound by Zero. That is a value that will never be reached by any member of this infinite series of numbers.

Example 2: You have an unlimited right to breath an unlimited amount of air. But the amount of air on this planet is finite, and so is the amount of air you will breath between the day you are born and the day you die.

Look, this may be nonsense, but the real nonsense is the kind of argument presented by people engaging in exactly this kind of idiocy. Yes, you do have a right to wave your fist in the air, and yes, your right is limited by my chin. Yes, you do have the right to unlimited broadband, and that is limited by other subscribers' right to the same broadband given that they pay as much as you do.
room200
join:2000-09-08
Chicago, IL

room200

This is the most ridiculous example I've heard yet. Nobody was talking about what is infinite. We are talking about unlimited. Is the amount that you may download to your computer infinite? No. You are bound by the capacity of your storage devices. Is it unlimited? Yes. You may buy more hard drives to take advantage of the advertised UNLIMITED downloads. There is no stated maximum amount that is made clear to people that may be downloaded.

It is advertised as unlimited, meaning it is sold on the idea that you are not bound by ANY limits. Simple.

Infringing upon someone's "right" to have similar broadband is not my problem. I pay so that the infrastructure is put in place so that I may receive what is advertised and what I pay for. How it affects someone else is irrelevant.
WestyVW
join:2003-02-14
Olympia, WA

WestyVW to ravital

to ravital
Immature? Nuttiest? WHAT THE F are you talking about?
If I signed up for highspeed internet and the terms were all I could get, I AM NOT IMMATURE for downloading as much as I want. Thats BS plain and simple. I know I cant run a server at home, but if I want to go nuts and download anything and everything, isnt that why I got the damn broadband in the first place?

Lets face it, cable has gone to shit. I have DSL at work (I own my own business and pay for the line and oddly enough its only $10 more then at home, not to mention that it is MUCH faster) and they dont care what I do with it. That connection hosts 20 web pages, and is constantly downloading (updating other peoples computers) but they dont care.

The cable network sucks, and thats the problem. Not the users.

LordMalak
join:2003-07-02
Brazil

LordMalak to ravital

to ravital
said by ravital:
said by NunyaBidness:
Wanna stream 17 radio stations 65 hours a day? Buy yourself your own T1, T3, or T-whatever the hell it is this week, and stay out of the way of the general public, we don't deserve to be in your Olympian environment to begin with.
An excellent point! The magic word on the Comcast contract is RESIDENTIAL. If you're using the service at a commercial level (even if you're just wasting bandwidth) you should be stopped.

I have unlimited SBC long distance for $20 a month. Does it mean I can talk to my cousin in AZ, connect to a BBS in CT, and call every company in Sillicon Valley looking for a job?? No.

ravital
Premium Member
Merrimack, NH

ravital to room200

Premium Member

to room200
said by room200:
Infringing upon someone's "right" to have similar broadband is not my problem. I pay so that the infrastructure is put in place so that I may receive what is advertised and what I pay for. How it affects someone else is irrelevant.
Ah... if you and I pay the same money to use the same network and I can't do what I need to do because you think you have a constitutional right to stream 17 radio stations all day long, I promise you, I will make it your problem, and so will the Judge, if it ever gets that far.
ravital

ravital to WestyVW

Premium Member

to WestyVW
said by WestyVW:
Immature? Nuttiest? WHAT THE F are you talking about?
If I signed up for highspeed internet and the terms were all I could get, I AM NOT IMMATURE for downloading as much as I want.
With that logic, when you run out of disk space, you should be able to go to your provider and say "hey, wtf, you said "unlimited" but I'm limited by my storage space, so if you want to keep your end of the bargain you have to provide me with a new hard drive every time I fill one up!" Why not? Same BS logic.
said by WestyVW:
isnt that why I got the damn broadband in the first place?
Whatever reasons or purposes you had in mind when you signed up for Broadband are anyone's guess and nobody's business but yours, but it's becoming clear that in too many cases it's not what the providers think about when they offer the service. They thought they were talking to reasonable adults.[/quote]
said by WestyVW:
Lets face it, cable has gone to shit.
No, it's always been there.
WestyVW
join:2003-02-14
Olympia, WA

WestyVW

Well your anaology sucks. If I run out of space its my problem. You know that silly person.

However you COMPLETELY redeam yourself with the last line. Your right, it hasnt gone to shit, its always been there.