All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Jeremy Balsley
@attbi.com

Jeremy Balsley to hbreg

Anon

to hbreg

Re: Comcast Bandwidth Exceeded Notice!!!

My own two bits on this:

1) 200GB per month is friggin' INSANE. Yes, they tell you you can use this service 'unlimited'. But I mean, come on, they expect you to use the service in a responsible manner, not like some spoiled kid who whines when he gets scolded.

Let's look at this, shall we? The original poster stated he downloaded 5 _different_ radio streams AT ONCE, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for an entire month. He downloaded these streams while he was at work, while he was at home, and while he was asleep in the dead of the night! Ok, call me weird, but come on, is it really necessary to process _5_ seperate streams of music _24 hours a day?!_

On top of that, he says he flags songs he has heard before so they won't take space up on his disk. Great, that's nice. But tell me this, you have to download the song, right? So, a download of a music file occurs, and is found to be a repeat, so his computer deletes the repeated file, and STILL eats the bandwidth! That's just GREAT.

To the original poster: Dude, there is this thing called _Common Sense_. It's a great thing, you see. Why? Because it tells you that waste is bad. And do you know what you are doing? You are wasting bandwidth big time. You are working hard to max out your bandwidth 24/7. You are like the person here in Colorado who sees the full reservoirs and says, "Well, why are we still on watering restrictions?!", goes out and buys himself some really water-sucking grasses, plants them, and b*tches when the water company tells him, "Cut it out!" when he starts sucking down water as if he lived in, oh, say, Louisiana. Just because it is there does NOT mean you have to use it! If you keep using it, and make a big stink to Comcast about it, then Comcast is going to do to us exactly what all the front-range cities did when the drought hit...impose limits. And unfortunately, unlike the drought, you aren't going to get some miracle to suddenly make it possible for you to draw 1.5mbs constantly...

2) To the guy asking about agreeing to the TOS and AUP: You agree to this the instant you start using the service. I don't know about you, but we had a hard copy of our TOS handed to us by the installer. Even if you were not handed the TOS, it is your responsibility to be aware of it. Notice that Comcast does not offhand cut people off. They first tell you you are drawing their attention and tell you to review the AUP. This is a good thing. If you want to be SURE of the AUP, then why not go review it now?

I'm sorry for the rant, but this is what annoys me about American Society today...the whole "Well, it's available, so why can't I consume it?" mentality. Remember, people. Use common sense. Don't waste your bandwidth unnecessarily. Remember you're not the only one on the internet. And lastly, just because it is there does not mean you have to go out of your way to use it. 5 streams. 24 hours a day. Do I really need to say more?

draven

join:2002-02-20
my bunker

draven

said by Jeremy Balsley:
.....What he said....
Good rant! Funny and right on too! Especially the American people thing! Sign up and contribute more!

AnonymousDude
@cableone.net

AnonymousDude to Jeremy Balsley

Anon

to Jeremy Balsley
"I'm sorry for the rant, but this is what annoys me about American Society today...the whole 'Well, it's available, so why can't I consume it?' mentality."

That comes right after the "If they screw with me I'll just sue them and they'll buckle when faced with a lawsuit" mentality.

hqh510
join:2001-03-24
Manassas, VA

hqh510 to Jeremy Balsley

to Jeremy Balsley
said by Jeremy Balsley:
My own two bits on this:

1) 200GB per month is friggin' INSANE. Yes, they tell you you can use this service 'unlimited'. But I mean, come on, they expect you to use the service in a responsible manner, not like some spoiled kid who whines when he gets scolded.
Yes, it's insane. I am using it responsible. You don't see me maxing out my bandwidth 100%. I barely use 43% of the available bandwidth for the streams. Am I not allowed to use over a certain percentage of my bandwidth or something? Should I just use 1% of my bandwidth? Is that responsible enough?
quote:
Let's look at this, shall we? The original poster stated he downloaded 5 _different_ radio streams AT ONCE, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for an entire month. He downloaded these streams while he was at work, while he was at home, and while he was asleep in the dead of the night! Ok, call me weird, but come on, is it really necessary to process _5_ seperate streams of music _24 hours a day?!_
Well, tell me this: If I wanted different genres of music, is it necessary for me to download multiple streams or stick to one genre and not be able to get the other different genres of music? Of course I'm going to download 5 to get 5 different type of music that plays on the Internet. Why settle down for one type of music when I can get 5 because I can download 640kbps and still got more bandwidth left over for websurfing and do other stuff? I want to explore new stuff. I'm not going to stick one by one when I can do it all at once. If you asked me, it saves me valuable time by doing it all at once instead of moving from one channel to another, rotating them around to collect at an interval. Why settle for rotation when I can do it all at once?
quote:
On top of that, he says he flags songs he has heard before so they won't take space up on his disk. Great, that's nice. But tell me this, you have to download the song, right? So, a download of a music file occurs, and is found to be a repeat, so his computer deletes the repeated file, and STILL eats the bandwidth! That's just GREAT.
Yes, I have to download, even if it's something I have downloaded before. If there's a program out there that detects what I've already downloaded, I would've used that instead.
quote:
To the original poster: Dude, there is this thing called _Common Sense_. It's a great thing, you see. Why? Because it tells you that waste is bad. And do you know what you are doing? You are wasting bandwidth big time. You are working hard to max out your bandwidth 24/7.
I'm not working hard to maxing out my 1500kbps (or rather 1800kbps) connection. I only use 640kbps for the streams. That's not maxing it out. If you're telling me that I'm maxing out my monthly transfer capacity, I sure now know, since of the arrival of the Comcast letter.
quote:
You are like the person here in Colorado who sees the full reservoirs and says, "Well, why are we still on watering restrictions?!", goes out and buys himself some really water-sucking grasses, plants them, and b*tches when the water company tells him, "Cut it out!" when he starts sucking down water as if he lived in, oh, say, Louisiana.
Poorly written analogy in comparison with me. Especially with the part about b*tching to the "owner". I'm not saying, screw Comcast, I'm doing whatever I want, even if it's all there. That's not true. What I'm b*tching about is what is their so called "bandwidth limit" and how much I go over so that I can find out how much I should cut back. So I would thus be, "oh, how much water am I suppose to use?" in your story, not be "b*tching at the water company". There's a good difference. I'm not mad at Comcast for sending that letter. I'm just curious where I'm crossing the line.
quote:
Just because it is there does NOT mean you have to use it! If you keep using it, and make a big stink to Comcast about it, then Comcast is going to do to us exactly what all the front-range cities did when the drought hit...impose limits. And unfortunately, unlike the drought, you aren't going to get some miracle to suddenly make it possible for you to draw 1.5mbs constantly...
Read the response above.
quote:
I'm sorry for the rant, but this is what annoys me about American Society today...the whole "Well, it's available, so why can't I consume it?" mentality. Remember, people. Use common sense. Don't waste your bandwidth unnecessarily. Remember you're not the only one on the internet. And lastly, just because it is there does not mean you have to go out of your way to use it. 5 streams. 24 hours a day. Do I really need to say more?

Well, maybe if the program was encoded more efficiently, it'll all work efficiently. But I'm not the programmer. Does it mean that I just plain stop using the program for good until the feature is implemented? Heck no. If I'm able to squeeze by for decreasing the number of radio channels downloading at one time, and not able to land another letter, I'm going to do it. It would be a waste for me to not maximize my Internet usage if I were to just sit here and say, my gosh, I should sacrifice and save some bandwidth for other people - oh wait. I don't use 100% of the bandwidth, so it's okay for me to use a little bit of it constantly, without saturating the cable pipe. That's what it counts. If I can use it constantly and not at a high transfer rate (e.g. 640kbps vs. 1500kbps), then that's using responsibly.