Premium Member
join:2001-09-05
Auburn, AL

2 recommendations

Cop to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde

Re: Something new on the horizon?

All I got to say is a big Thank You to Justin for trying to please us. He makes a huge effort to please us so please don't get mad and scream like little children. Thanks Justin
[text was edited by author 2003-09-04 20:51:57]

CNZ
Schnook's Kiwi
Premium Member
join:2001-07-07
Kakanui, NZ

CNZ to PetePuma

Premium Member

to PetePuma
said by PetePuma:
said by Optimized:
Clicking on "Forums" in the left navigation menu will bring you to the All Forums page.

Ahh, I see, said the blind man.

Still, this raises some interesting points:

- the forum pages used to not have the sidebar, but had the top bar. (granted, not consistent with other parts of the site)

- the side bar ostensibly takes up more real estate on the screen than the top bar, yet one of the reasons given for removing the top bar was "waste of space".

I just wish I knew what the *idea* was behind the changes. Adding new features or restricting things because of problems is one thing, changing a basic fundamental part of the navigation of the system (seemingly without warning) is another.
Exactly. The side bar is not needed on every page and it just takes up screen space in my opinion. There is an option to turn it ON from the posting editor, but no option to turn it OFF from elsewhere. Fix that little bug and I can probably live with the rest

INTENS1
Never Stop Trying
MVM
join:2002-04-21
Midwest

1 recommendation

INTENS1 to Cop

MVM

to Cop
said by Cop:
All I got to say is a big Thank You to Justin for trying to please us. He makes a huge effort to please us so please don't to not get mad and scream like little children. Thanks Justin
I agree...we at least need to give all the new features a chance, so if there are problems, we can give Justin some examples of what may not be working as intended.

login name2
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11

login name2

Premium Member

I think that is the problem. Most people don't know WHY a lot of the changes were made, so to sign on to BBR and suddenly see a news header where their top bar used to be is going to through them for a confusing little spin.

KeysCapt

join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

2 recommendations

KeysCapt to acehyde

to acehyde
Folks, you can tell just by reading through this thread that it's a dynamic process. If you think about it, the alternative would be to shut the site down, play around with the changes, then open it up when you're satisfied.

The man is trying to make some improvements, but it's sometimes a trial and error type thing. He's already implemented some of your suggestions in this thread ... give him a little time.

Quite often making a change here affects three things over there. It will get all sorted out, and in the end, we'll all just have to take a little time to get used to things, just like we did when we first came to the site. You may not see the need for change, but it may be due to something that isn't obvious to all of us, or just plain improvement.

fire100_old
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Michigan

fire100_old to INTENS1

Premium Member

to INTENS1
I just logged back in and noticed the nav bar missing, and noticed the 4 icons under the BBR logo, very nice, this is something I can live with for navigation, Thanks Justin.

The news portion I commented on earlier, I wasn't trying to wine or anything, if it seemed like that, I am sorry, however I was just trying to comment, that I liked the way the news was before, and yes, I did click on the news from time to time, but I prefer from time to time, to click on the large BBR logo, and go right to the front page to read it.

Things are looking pretty slick around here now, and clicking on forums does take us right to All Forums, which is something I can get used to.

netwire
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Dallas, NC

netwire to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde

Another one
Oooh! Oooh! I found one too!

Oh, wiat.. upon reflection I see others have posted this change before me... Drat!
[text was edited by author 2003-09-04 20:29:32]

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 recommendation

fatness to KeysCapt

to KeysCapt
said by KeysCapt:
The man is trying to make some improvements, but it's sometimes a trial and error type thing. He's already implemented some of your suggestions in this thread ... give him a little time.
And also some changes suggested within the last month or 2 in this forum as well, I believe.

And you're right, it's like trying to knock over just 1 or 2 dominoes in a room full of dominoes. Some others are going to unintentionally fall, get rearranged, etc. until a resting place is achieved.

Then requests for new features will appear in this forum again, and some will be made, and uproar will occur again.

Flagger
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Weimville

Flagger

Premium Member

It looks like view 1 and view two show the same things except view 1 only shows the forums that you have selected as your favourites instead of the all forums view.

I would prefer it defaulting to all forums view when clicking on the red envelope, but I like that the icons are on all pages now including the IM screen.

KAIFS
V I P
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
CHEEEESE WI

1 recommendation

KAIFS to LaZ3R

Premium Member

to LaZ3R
said by LaZ3R:

»/r0/do ··· gone.jpg
Why was it removed??? i used it all the time!!???
above bar is exactly what I am missing the most. I just feel as my way of effectively navigating BBR site is now gone for me. bummer!

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
I personally hate the changes, but i guess i'll have to live with them.

TheOtherRay
Comfortably Numb
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Denver, CO
Netgear CM1000
Asus RT-AC88

3 recommendations

TheOtherRay to KeysCapt

MVM,

to KeysCapt
I have learned to treat this entire site like a work in progress...things are going to change, always. However, some are more able to go with the flow on these improvements than others. I don't think it is out of line to ask for a quick overview of what changes are coming or have been made. I flowed pretty quickly with most of the new changes today, but I was totally thrown by not having the "toolbar" on top. I never clicked on the icons before (except IM), so I wasn't sure where my favorite forums went until I played around. A news item on the front page would have done the trick.

Maybe that's part of the fun of this site...poking around and discovering what's new. Some people enjoy doing that, while others can get frustrated, not by the changes per se, but by having to discover what happened.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

I have been poking all afternoon and setting things up differently than I had before. i will now use the Favorites differently than I had, so that's all changed for me as well as lots of other things that I would normally do. I agree that this is a place that is in progress, and I guess that I am progressing right along with the site. i still don't like the way it is at the moment, but I will go with the flow and get used to it. After all... where can one find a better place to hang one's hat?

Techie2000
In Vertigo
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05

Techie2000 to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
Hey the number of posters in the forums are missing...:-/

fire100_old
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Michigan

fire100_old to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Now if the Text Edited could be changed to small letters we would really be rocking

login name2
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11

login name2 to Techie2000

Premium Member

to Techie2000
Are you sure? I still see it listed.

Are you referring to the top of the page where it says XXX number of users post here (right above the XML button)?

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

KeysCapt to TheOtherRay

to TheOtherRay
said by TheOtherRay:
I have learned to treat this entire site like a work in progress

some are more able to go with the flow on these improvements than others.

I don't think it is out of line to ask for a quick overview of what changes are coming or have been made.
... and that's what it is - a work in progress. And you're right, it's obvious that some roll with it, and some don't. But as far as asking for a quick overview, good luck! But there will come a time when everything just sort of looks done, works right, and all the tools are somewhere. Then we'll know. (I think.)

Hey, I have to try to keep up with the changes for the FAQs. You think that's easy?

Flagger
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Weimville

Flagger

Premium Member

Could you imagine the panic if the site just shut down while he implemented the changes?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

1 recommendation

grobinette to acehyde

MVM,

to acehyde
It's pretty interesting, like coming home late from a good party and finding out your better half rearranged the furniture for you. So far so good, I only banged my shin once.

nil

join:2000-11-27

2 recommendations

nil to acehyde

to acehyde
How about giving this a little try before posting complaints and asking for ways to turn off or change things?

I don't think there has *ever* been a change which did not draw 100s of complaints yet it always works out somehow..

Cop
Premium Member
join:2001-09-05
Auburn, AL

Cop to Flagger

Premium Member

to Flagger
said by Flagger:
Could you imagine the panic if the site just shut down while he implemented the changes?
I panic even if I get a "page cannot be displayed" every so often!

Shanto20
Don't Frown, Be Brown
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
New York, NY

Shanto20 to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
EDIT>>UNDO EVERYTHiNG

i agree the top bar was consistent and always there for me through tough times and the good times. He was like a silent friend who could always do what you wanted it to.

I feel like i've lost a friend.

TheOtherRay
Comfortably Numb
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Denver, CO
Netgear CM1000
Asus RT-AC88

TheOtherRay to KeysCapt

MVM,

to KeysCapt
said by KeysCapt:
But as far as asking for a quick overview, good luck!
Minor stuff, no, I don't think it's needed. A major facelift, where key things like site navigation change, I think it would help to address the complaints that nil See Profile is complaining about .
quote:
Hey, I have to try to keep up with the changes for the FAQs. You think that's easy?
How 'bout a new FAQ:
Q. Can I find out what new changes have been implemented on the site?
A. Eventually.

KeysCapt

Carson City, NV

4 recommendations

KeysCapt

Careful what you ask for.

»Site FAQ »How do I find out about changes to the site?

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

2 recommendations

skj to acehyde

Mod

to acehyde

Help!!!!

»/r0/do ··· ttle.jpg

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to nil

to nil

Re: Something new on the horizon?

said by nil:
I don't think there has *ever* been a change which did not draw 100s of complaints yet it always works out somehow..

post counts anyone?
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5 to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
Sorry but I think that removing the key navigational button, ie: the RED button at the top of the home page
with no advance notice was a somewhat ill conceived move
something along the lines of NYC closing the Geo. Washington bridge without any notice at all.

It literally took me 10 minutes to even find the RR forum again. Then, after finding the new location for the red button, it winds up doing taking me to a list of forums I haven't been to in quite awhile which I guess was an old favorite forums list.

I know, boo hoo..

But the point is when no one is familiar with what's going on and not doing the redesigning themselves..there's alot to look at to figure out what's going on here.
And, to throw that curve ball at everyone who visits here
for the sake of something so simple, yet so important,
can throw the whole site into disarray.

Lastly I would say that I think prior to this, many of the changes have been nice. The pics on the homepage with stories and many of the new features. But be careful with key navigational changes that people have used for years, such as the entrance door!

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to nil

MVM

to nil
I think it'd be great if it were customizable, that way people could choose if that little red envelope goes to all forums and whether or not they want news at the top.

Julio
NightLinks
Premium Member
join:2001-06-04
Bronx, NY

Julio to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
I like the new look! the new look is better

the old navigation bar was ugly

Sat_Man
Monotonous Isn't It
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Gray Court, SC

Sat_Man to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
Not too bad! Took me a couple of minutes to find everything, however I like it. I really like the "Your Posts" button. It saves a lot of clicks.

>Fred