join:2002-01-26
::1

Andy8 to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde

Re: Something new on the horizon?

quote:
All » FFs » Posts » » Broadbandreports.com » New feature requests
Does the "ALL" that I see at the top of every the form take people to a different place that I think it does?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to acehyde

to acehyde
Here's another

Flagger
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Weimville

Flagger to Andy8

Premium Member

to Andy8
NO it doesn't. But send an IM and there is no ALL option.

Wiz
Premium Member
join:2002-01-31
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Wiz to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
This SUCKS!!!!!! Why the hell would I want to see news at the top when its all over the place.....and definitely, get the ALL FORUMS BUTTON BACK....I'M LOST WITHOUT IT...Hell, I had to type in /forums/all to get to the frigging page.....GET RID OF THIS CRAP!

fire100_old
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Michigan

fire100_old to PetePuma

Premium Member

to PetePuma
said by PetePuma:
said by justin:
well how about the 'fav forums' defaults to 'all forums' if you dont use fav forums.
I use both, liberally.

Me too, I use both extensively, I start out my my Fav forums, then after looking at them, I usually click on all forums to look at things like the Security forum, etc.

Flagger
Premium Member
Weimville

1 recommendation

Flagger to Wiz

Premium Member

to Wiz
said by Wiz:
This SUCKS!!!!!! Why the hell would I want to see news at the top when its all over the place.....and definitely, get the ALL FORUMS BUTTON BACK....I'M LOST WITHOUT IT...Hell, I had to type in /forums/all to get to the frigging page.....GET RID OF THIS CRAP!
We secretly replaced all of the decaf with JOLT cola.

acehyde
Tired.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14

acehyde

Premium Member

Anybody noticed the changes to the front page (might have already been there, but I so rarely take a look at it that I may have missed it when it changed).

nirvansk815
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
united state

nirvansk815 to Flagger

Premium Member

to Flagger
Ok I think someone fixed the post button on top...NOW IT WORKS. Thank YOU!!!!!!!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

Thinkdiff to acehyde

MVM,

to acehyde
Here is a post of mine of my opinion of the new top bars:
»What's going on????

The New design sucks, imo. I frequently use the buttons taken off the top bar more than the ones that stayed. This should be a user controlled part of the site, we should not have that part of the layout chosen for us. Also, the news is already on the side, why add more junk to the top of the page? I personally could care less about the "news" on this site, so I happily ignore the left column, however, it's kinda hard to ignore the news at the top. It has annoyed me ever since the first time I saw it. Please, either go back to the old style, or at least allow the user to control some aspects of it.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma to nirvansk815

MVM

to nirvansk815
I may have to suggest a feature to allow us to vote down posts strictly to vote down the changes to the top toolbar; it has totally ruined my experience in navigating this site.

FROSTY
MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL

2 recommendations

FROSTY to Wiz

MVM

to Wiz
Ok, who let the kiddies take control of DSLR/BBR and muck up the upper toolbar?

I agree with Wiz, I want the ALL FORUMS button back in the upper toolbar. If I want DSLR/BBR news, I'll goto the homepage.

Or at least provide users with the ability to customize the upper DSLR/BBR toolbar to our own liking.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to justin

Premium Member

to justin
"well how about the 'fav forums' defaults to 'all forums' if you dont use fav forums." justin See Profile

Can't you just use the images in there? I used both the favorite forums, and the all forums links. If you have done anything you have removed useful quick links. Take out our names on the bar, just put back all the links please. I agree with Frosty, and if you going to do this, please let us customize it since you basically stripped it clean of many useful quick links.

Also the news at the top just seems very annoying.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to acehyde

MVM

to acehyde
I won't say that anything sucks, as I think that that is an insult to Justin who has over all done a terrific job trying to please all. I will say that I really don't like the "ETC" button, although it is usable. It merely adds to what needs to be done now. I too used those buttons that were all up there before and are now only found via "ETC". Do I like it/ No. I don't like it at all and would rather see the "Posts" removed and the bar restored to the way it was. But, do I think it sucks? hardly. I just dislike it intensely as it is.

To reduce the clutter up top if that was the problem or intent, I would sooner see the news items removed. Actually, in trying to click on "posts" or the lovely "etc." it's all too easy to hit the news instead. That space should be left empty, IMHO.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
All of a sudden once I look at a forum I have to reload the site or press the back button to get out of the forum. All the links for favorite forums, all forums, posts, and everything else is gone. I can't see any of the things other people are seeing?

What happened?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to fire100_old

Mod

to fire100_old
said by fire100_old:
said by PetePuma:
said by justin:
well how about the 'fav forums' defaults to 'all forums' if you dont use fav forums.
I use both, liberally.

Me too, I use both extensively, I start out my my Fav forums, then after looking at them, I usually click on all forums to look at things like the Security forum, etc.

If you are on a fav forum, or a topic, or whatever, there is an ALL link staring at you (two in fact, one at the top one at the bottom), always has been. In addition, the "Forums" link in the navigation bar on the left, will also go to forums/all (or will shortly).

So the ONLY times you'd miss the red envelope (which requires a scroll up anyway) is when you're on a page with no navigation and no All link.

The top bar may even go away completely, if I straighten out navigation to instant messages and forums and posts properly. I think its a waste of space.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

said by justin:

The top bar may even go away completely, if I straighten out navigation to instant messages and forums and posts properly. I think its a waste of space.
NOOOO!!! the top bar, at least, is CONSISTENT. It's ALWAYS there, every page. No matter where I am on the site, whether I'm posting, reading news, whatever, it's always a SINGLE CLICK to get to the most important stuff on the site.

It is far from a waste of space-- it is one of the strongest points of usability on the site.

nirvansk815
Premium Member
join:2001-06-18
united state

1 recommendation

nirvansk815 to PetePuma

Premium Member

to PetePuma
said by:PetePuma See Profileto vote down the changes to the top toolbar;
Vote down? The link didn't work and I couldn't find my previous posts. I don't understand what your talking about.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

3 recommendations

justin to acehyde

Mod

to acehyde
Wow look at all the little angry andrews.. its been a while since I stuck a stick in the nest and twisted it about.

Just for the 5% who are in such a state about such trivial things, I'm leaving things exactly as they are for a while, and going back to more important work. There are more than enough normal answers/info in this thread, to not fly off the handle in a new post.

Then when this loud minority is bored with complaining about the way their wrist movements have had to change, I might revisit navigation. Or not. Depends how pissy the posts are by then
[text was edited by author 2003-09-04 16:42:22]

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to justin

MVM

to justin
said by justin:
that one, i agree with! you have to scroll back up to get to it, so what would be wrong with just having a link on the top and bottom to those features, or better yet on the side?

edit:

OOPS! looks like folks complained too much. this out to teach them.
quote:
Just for the 5% who are in such a state about such trivial things, I'm leaving things exactly as they are for a while, and going back to more important work. There are more than enough normal answers/info in this thread, to not fly off the handle in a new post.

acehyde
Tired.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14

acehyde

Premium Member

I like the changes (personally) - makes it a bit easier to navigate through the site (and if I want to view all forums, it is usually only a click away in any given page) - and as for the news at the top of the page, I like it there now I don't have to go looking for it in a forum thread or the frontpage.

Good Job, thanks for the additions!

OLDb34tBoX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-07

OLDb34tBoX to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
I don't understand the purpose of the "etc.." and why the "My.." subtitle was added. That's an extra click! :(

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

2 recommendations

MacGyver to acehyde

to acehyde
For those of you upset at the new top navigation bar, please see this post for my method of making your own instead: » ··· ;6914713

Flagger
Premium Member
Weimville

Flagger to justin

Premium Member

to justin
It might be nice to have the all forums view match the forums view or at least put the link to marked posts in the forums view.

And BTW, shouldn't that line be Welcome to the BROADBANDReports Forums?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to justin

Premium Member

to justin
"The top bar may even go away completely, if I straighten out navigation to instant messages and forums and posts properly. I think its a waste of space." justin See Profile

You will find that many people like this shortcut bar, its small, and did hold many useful links before the recent update. With all the features of this site it is needed unless you have the left section open all the time, on every single page.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to acehyde

Premium Member

to acehyde
Click for full size
Here is a shot of my screen - where is the stuff everyone else is seeing?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Flagger

Premium Member

to Flagger
said by Flagger:
And BTW, shouldn't that line be Welcome to the BROADBANDReports Forums?
@#$% no, we oldskool!

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to acehyde

MVM

to acehyde
I still wish the bookmarks appeared on the bar -- but I know this is something no one else considers worthwhile!

Optimized
MVM,
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

Optimized to stev32k

MVM,

to stev32k
Click into a thread ...

fire100_old
Premium Member
join:2002-08-09
Michigan

1 recommendation

fire100_old to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:
Wow look at all the little angry andrews.. its been a while since I stuck a stick in the nest and twisted it about.

Then when this loud minority is bored with complaining about the way their wrist movements have had to change, I might revisit navigation. Or not.
I wouldn't say everyone is angry andrews, but people get used to navigating a certain way, until you pointed it out, I never even really new the blue links were there that said ALL, FAV, etc, I look for the content and helping out other members, when you get used to one way to navigate, it is like riding a bike you know

FROSTY
MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL

FROSTY to justin

MVM

to justin
said by justin:
Justin,
I know you work hard to keep this site up and running. Yet, I have to disagree and express my concern. I use the All Forums, IM, Preferences, and Buddies buttons from the toolbar constantly. I mean, we have to scroll up to the top anyway to see the blinking IM icon and to check IMs. Plus, I really don't like having the fresh news links up there too. I'd prefer to be able to disable that, and continue to click the big 'Broadband Reports' logo in the upper right corner to get to the homepage and see the news.