MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma to KingOfPants

MVM

to KingOfPants

Re: Something new on the horizon?

said by KingOfPants:
If you have no forums set as your fav that link will bring you to the all forums page. If you have 1 or more forums set up as a fav it will bring you to the fav forums page.

I can live with all of these changes EXCEPT separate buttons for favorites and all forums; I like perusing most of the forums, but they are not all my favorites.

(And I'm okay with losing the top bar IF those icons on the left are on every page; the advantage of the top bar was that, unlike the various links on forum pages for All/Favs/etc., it was ALWAYS and CONSISTENTLY there...)

Optimized
MVM,
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

Optimized

MVM,

said by PetePuma:
said by KingOfPants:
If you have no forums set as your fav that link will bring you to the all forums page. If you have 1 or more forums set up as a fav it will bring you to the fav forums page.

I can live with all of these changes EXCEPT separate buttons for favorites and all forums; I like perusing most of the forums, but they are not all my favorites.

(And I'm okay with losing the top bar IF those icons on the left are on every page; the advantage of the top bar was that, unlike the various links on forum pages for All/Favs/etc., it was ALWAYS and CONSISTENTLY there...)
Clicking on "Forums" in the left navigation menu will bring you to the All Forums page.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

PetePuma

MVM

said by Optimized:
Clicking on "Forums" in the left navigation menu will bring you to the All Forums page.

Ahh, I see, said the blind man.

Still, this raises some interesting points:

- the forum pages used to not have the sidebar, but had the top bar. (granted, not consistent with other parts of the site)

- the side bar ostensibly takes up more real estate on the screen than the top bar, yet one of the reasons given for removing the top bar was "waste of space".

I just wish I knew what the *idea* was behind the changes. Adding new features or restricting things because of problems is one thing, changing a basic fundamental part of the navigation of the system (seemingly without warning) is another.

CNZ
Schnook's Kiwi
Premium Member
join:2001-07-07
Kakanui, NZ

CNZ

Premium Member

said by PetePuma:
said by Optimized:

Ahh, I see, said the blind man.

Still, this raises some interesting points:

- the forum pages used to not have the sidebar, but had the top bar. (granted, not consistent with other parts of the site)

- the side bar ostensibly takes up more real estate on the screen than the top bar, yet one of the reasons given for removing the top bar was "waste of space".

I just wish I knew what the *idea* was behind the changes. Adding new features or restricting things because of problems is one thing, changing a basic fundamental part of the navigation of the system (seemingly without warning) is another.
Exactly. The side bar is not needed on every page and it just takes up screen space in my opinion. There is an option to turn it ON from the posting editor, but no option to turn it OFF from elsewhere. Fix that little bug and I can probably live with the rest