What day is it?
Premium Member
join:2000-07-11
Lebanon, OR

mikehd

Premium Member

Two ideas:

1 - you don't have ping enabled in the router

2 - your ISP disabled ping for its IP address ranges to cut the crap from the worm outbreaks these past few months (my ISP did this).

stan6199
Premium Member
join:2002-08-29
Houston, TX

stan6199

Premium Member

said by mikehd:
Two ideas:

1 - you don't have ping enabled in the router

2 - your ISP disabled ping for its IP address ranges to cut the crap from the worm outbreaks these past few months (my ISP did this).

My router is ping enabled, but I can ping my local host(127.0.0.1).
What is this? What does local host mean? I can't ping my WAN because of my local host?
mikehd
What day is it?
Premium Member
join:2000-07-11
Lebanon, OR

mikehd

Premium Member

localhost is your loopback IP on your machine. Everyone has 127.0.0.1. If you can't ping localhost your NIC is either installed wrong or defective. localhost is not interfering with WAN ping.

localhost is on the LAN side of the router. Your WAN IP is assigned by your ISP. They may have disabled ping for their IP address ranges.

Mem
join:2002-01-03
Nashville, TN
·Google Fiber
·AT&T FTTP

Mem to stan6199

to stan6199
Try using an external source like »www.network-tools.com/ to ping and trace your WAN IP. It may be that your router doesn't enable loopback so you can not reach your WAN IP from the LAN side. Same problem some have when setting up a web server - they can not use the domain name to access the web page unless some other changes are made.