All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
System

Anon

internet freezes momentarily while surfing

hope someone can help with this:

i have ADSL, 1.5mbs- just recently, while surfing, my internet connection freezes...then, continues on. everything will be ok for a bit, then, it will either slow down to a crawl, or freeze again...then, 30seconds later it will continue on. i have 2 computers networked together, and both will freeze at the exact same time.

------------------

Anon

I have the same thing happening, I believe I read somewhere in this forum to un-bind TCP/IP from so,ething to stop this, but I don't know what or where I read it. I am searching for it now and will post the link if I find it

willardk

join:1999-12-02
Jackson Heights, NY

willardk to Anon

to Anon
Yes, this has to do with "obtain address automatically" and/or "use dhcp" being set on the ethernet card when using a PPPoE connection. If either or both are configured as above your ethernet card will try to obtain an ip from a DHCP server that does not exist. This is a "misdocumentation" in the BA green install booklet if you are using BA. Two solutions exist for PPPoE users...

One is to set a static ip of 192.168.xxx.xxx where xxx is between 0 and 254 and a netmask of 255.255.255.0 for the ethernet card connected/associated with your DSL connection.

The other solution is the remove TCP/IP properties (hit the delete key) for the ethernet card connected/associated with you DSL.

Will
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Thanks Will!
You just saved me some time

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
It worked!! (not that I ever doubted you)
I have had no internet freezes since I followed this advice
Thanks again

Jay

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
will-

thanks. i'm a TCP/IP dummy, so let me get this straight:

after navigating to the internet properites section of my control panel, i then select the device line "TCP/IP xxxxx" (the xxx being the name fo the ethernet card that BA installed into my computer)-

you also suggest setting a static IP address...i can pick any number between 0 and 254? this seems too easy...
am i missing anything? this'll do it?
as soon as i'm off work, i'm giving it a try- thanks

------------------

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
I didn't assign an IP adress, I think you can do one or the other...
All I did was went into my network properties, removed the TCP/IP setting that is linked to my ethernet card that my DSL comes into, and then restarted when it asked.
I haven't had a freeze up since...

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
have just deleted the TCP/IP setting associated with my DSL ethernet card-
we'll see what happens

------------------

jagg7777
@127.0.0.x

jagg7777 to Anon

Anon

to Anon
I have experienced the same problem. My ISP has given my a static IP address which has been set correctly. Before reading these posts I had already done the deletions mentioned. I'm still experiencing the freezes. My ISP and phone company are out of suggestions.
jagg7777

jagg7777 to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Excuse the double reply above...another freeze was taking place.

I'll go ahead and give all the info on my problem now:

My phone company is GTE and ISP is CRCWNET (local company). My DSL modem is an external Fujitsu model and ethernet card is a 3com 3c509b (combo) 10 ISA. I only have 1 computer connected and it's running Win 98 (not too sure 1st or 2nd release). As I said in the first message, I have a static IP address also. I'm close enough to the central office to have 1.5mbps service, but I am signed up for the 768kbps package.

What will happen is I'll be doing a transfer (file upload/download, emailing, web browsing) and all internet activity will stop. All my applications will work, but it's like someone cut the cord and no traffic is going through my computer. Then in a minute or two it will come back. It seems to be completely random when it happens and affects all connections I have open at the same time.

I have tried updating my 3com drivers, reinstalling win98, defragmenting my hard drive (my ISP's suggestion), increasing my receive window size. The latter improved my throughput, but didn't help the problem.

My ISP said it's my nic and should get a netgear...same people who said defragmenting was going to help, too. My phone company has run all sorts of tests and when the problem happens the tech said he saw only a few frames go by, but didn't see what could be the cause. He also monitored the ISP and saw that their load wasn't very high so ruled out the possibility of too much traffic.

willardk

Jackson Heights, NY

willardk to Anon

to Anon
Do you have any duplicatie TCP/IP properties for the card? remove them. The suggestion removing and then adding a another might be a valid one....the TCP/IP suggestion I made above was made for PPPoE users. You're not using PPPoE to get that "static" address are you?

Will

jagg7777
@127.0.0.x

jagg7777 to Anon

Anon

to Anon
I have:
tcp/ip -> My NIC
tcp/ip -> AOL Adapter

I've tried deleting them all and one by one replacing them. There was no change.
I'm pretty sure I'm not using PPPoE...I've never heard of it until checking out this site. So I haven't seen anything that mentions PPPoE anywhere when messing my settings and such. I was assigned the static IP address from my ISP.

willardk

Jackson Heights, NY

willardk to Anon

to Anon
to Jagg:

Then it might be worth it to pull and the nic and replace it. It can't hurt to try.

Will
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
i've deleted the TCP/IP setting associated with my DSL ethernet card- still getting freezes

any other ideas?

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
Ok, as I stated, removing the TCP/IP from my second NIC (the one tied to the modem) worked for me.
But now (due to porting issues with a game I play) I have been forced to re-configure some things and I am now running my modem into my hub via the uplink. both computers also run into the hub. Everything works well, including the game, but I get the freezes again
I can't remove TCP/IP from my LAN NIC's can I? Will I still be able to play across my LAN if I do remove tcp/ip from all of the nic's?
Thanks
Jay

to Anon

Anon

to Anon
I tried a bunch of stuff and nothing seems to stop the freezes now... any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Jaybmagic (edited 15 April 2000).]

slick9
join:2000-06-13
Ridgewood, NJ

slick9 to Anon

to Anon
The may be the best collection of information EVER!

I've been doing the BellAtlantic deal since at least Feb... FTP, MS Exchange, yahoo messenger, dialpad.com, and even Ascheron's call all gave me NO problems. But my browsing was a different story: I'd get 5-10 good clicks and then all of a sudden I'd freeze. I'd have 3-4 browsers open to different sites.. I'd have IE and Netscape, all would freeze at the same time. 30 seconds to a minute would pass and then BANG! all browsers would return a result. Then the same thing would happen 5 clicks later.

BellAtlantic wanted me to "empty my cache" and this always worked when I was on the phone with them. I could never duplicate the freezing with them on the phone. It was depressing knowing that you could rip a file down in no time FTP, read and send a zillion emails, but take forever just to surf 5 clicks!!!

I specified a dummy IP address as described above, restarted and am the happiest man EVER.

Way to go DLSreports.com!!

[This message has been edited by slick9 (edited 14 June 2000).]

saber11
Check Six
Premium Member
join:2000-06-09
Clayton, OH

saber11 to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Just wondering if any of you who have had the "Freezing" problem has run a sniffer on your TCP/IP

You can get a good free sniffer from network associates (you got DSL so the download should be swift)

Take a look at your IP packets. What I think is that your workstation my be causing a broadcast storm, if it's happening durring browsing chances are your DNS lookups aren't going through.

Look for alot of broadcasts on the line.

Also your DNS requests could be timing out. if this is the case your system will wait for the timeout on the primary DNS server, and go to the secendary. It could be that the primary DNS is being inundated with lookups and can't handle the load. Or there could be alot of collisions. A sniffer will show you this.

Just a suggestion

topper
@141.150.33.x

topper to Anon

Anon

to Anon
thanks Will your solutions worked for me and couldnt be easier finelly enjoying my dsl

RickM.Net
join:2000-09-01
Louisville, KY

RickM.Net to Anon

to Anon
Jag7777,

I was wondering why you have the AOL Adapter entry in your bindings. Seems to me this should ONLY be in there when you're using AOL as your ISP (NOT a good idea!). Have you tried removing it?

------------------
RickM.Net

[This message has been edited by rickmitc (edited 11 September 2000).]

baidie
join:2000-08-26
t6j4s8canada

baidie to jagg7777

to jagg7777
This probably sounds stupid but I use agent newsreader and my downloads were really fast, 2 to 4 mins. for 20MB's.I use win 98se .I decided to check out windows update and like a stupid idiot I downloaded media player 7.I use cakewalk pro audio and low and behold all my wave files were now media player 7 files oops.Ok back to the freezing problem, I also updated Internet explorer 5 to 5.5 or something like that. Guess what? Now my wan and lan lights on my cisco 675e will blink indicating download in progress then stop. I wait,then like it's toying with me it will blink a little more.Now that 20MB file will take 10mins.I tried a whole bunch of trouble shooting and finally went back to the original Internet explorer 5.Everything is Ok now.Other than a few network settings I had to reset after reinstall I.E. Your guess is as good as mine Why.PS May the isp guys are just trying to randomly piss off us speed freaks.

Greywolf

join:2000-05-17
The Forest

Greywolf to Anon

to Anon
IE 5.5 has known problems on some machines.... Suggest you go back to 5.1...

As for Media Player.... Use msconfig to disable it on boot and see if that solves your stall/freeze problem...

~Greywolf

--
"Heres to pure theory - may it never be useful to anyone"

bcool
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25

bcool to saber11

Premium Member

to saber11
Thanks Saber11...
I've been snooping around in those dang packets with NetXray
trying to figure out why my IP packets are (allegedly) leaving my router onto the Internet with the DF bit cleared.
It's confusing on Windows 98 because I clearly have left PMTU-D at default (ON). Yet DSLR's Tweak Applet insists that I have it OFF. We guess that this is happening because the applet is receiving my packets with no DF flag. I imagine the applet assumes that PMTUDiscovery is OFF. Haven't confirmed yet what's going on with the router and PPPOE connection.

--
"in flante delicto"

Ludd
join:2000-06-27
Berkeley, CA

Ludd to Greywolf

to Greywolf
Greywolf - you're much too tactful with that word "some"...

greendaymh
@bellatlantic.net

greendaymh to Greywolf

Anon

to Greywolf
will removing the tcpip protocal for your ethernet card effect a lan?

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

If you're running win98se and IE 5.5 you need this fix to stop the freezing that is taking place... http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q243/1/99.ASP

download and install

greendaymh
@bellatlantic.net

greendaymh to Anon

Anon

to Anon
i tried giving each nic card connected to hub its own static ip and ever since i havnt got a freeze

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX

Flippant

Then you are most likely fixed. The freezes tend to be cause by the NIC looking for a new dynamic IP. Can you still network between your machines. If so you are done.

--
Just call me Flippant.

greendaymh
@bellatlantic.net

greendaymh

Anon

yup, everythings great, thanks a lot everyone

bronxbomber8
join:2000-07-25
Eustis, FL

bronxbomber8 to baidie

to baidie
you have to uninstall the windows media player 7 and then if you want to add it again don't i mean don't install the adaptec plug-in it will freeze up your computer and sometimes you have to go to safe mode to uninstall it like i had to do cause it was conflicting with my other software.