Search similar:

uniqs

Velinestra
join:2000-11-22
Morganville, NJ

Velinestra

closing tcp21?

How does one close tcp21?

I have Windows ME and a Zyxel Prestige 642ME bridge at home. I'm using ADSL.

corey389
join:2001-06-17
Warwick, RI

corey389

if you have a ftp server port 21 will be open dont worry about it to much becase its in use by the server nothing else can use that port as a sever

Velinestra
Morganville, NJ

Velinestra

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that I'm not running any servers at home. I also found out that my ISP is deliberately keeping tcp21, tcp80, and tcp23 open. So, there's nothing I can do about it.

sew1cc
@wideopenwest.com

sew1cc

Anon

Sure you can and should. Any open port provides a hacker with the knowledge that your computer exists. And they can focus more attention to hacking in to it.

You should try a personal firewall software program. There are several you can get from free to $$.

I have used ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, and BlackIce. They all work just depends on your style and needs.

goto »download.com for freeware and trial software

Velinestra
Morganville, NJ

Velinestra

I've been using the free version of ZoneAlarm (4.5.530), and I can still see the ports are open.
milkgod
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Hollywood, FL

milkgod

Premium Member

Me too, but not to worry. Open up Zone Alarm Control Center go to the Program Control Tab. Verify that ALL programs in the Internet zone listed are set to "Ask" or to "Block". A well-configured firewall is a lifesaver.

This must be somewhat new, 'cuz earlier this month something tried to perp me thru FTP, and with the settings I described, I got a Zone Alarm popup that indicated that there was an attempt to call out over ftp. I declined the invitation. BTW, I found the file left by the perp C:\system\dos\temp\tmp\1.txt. It was an ftp script dated 12/2/03 replete with the ip address for the server used by the dum**ss who tried this. He also tried a CONNECT to my apache web server two minutes earlier.

The only way I know of how I got this was thru an ill-behaved applet / malware while surfing.

Hope this helps.