All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dogfather_1
join:2002-05-07

dogfather_1

Primus = disconnect

Anyone else getting disconnect off primus's high speed service? why is this happening like every few minutes, especially if i'm not at my computer?

EveryName
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
Montreal

EveryName

Premium Member

Have you always experianced this, or is this something new? Is your modem losing sync, or are you just getting disconnected from PPPoE?
dogfather_1

dogfather_1

this is something new, happening for the last few days! and my modem is in sync, so its the PPPoE.

EveryName
Premium Member
Montreal

EveryName to dogfather_1

Premium Member

to dogfather_1
Ok, in that case I can't help you, since I'm not with Primus. Have you tried calling their support and asking about it?
dogfather_1

dogfather_1

they made me install drtcp and said it should fix it...but thats not the case.

EveryName
Premium Member
Montreal

EveryName to dogfather_1

Premium Member

to dogfather_1
Right... well, it sounds typical of them. I'd just wait and see what happens. Rofl, that's funny... DrTCP.
piotrick
join:2003-01-27
Scarborough, ON

piotrick to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
I noticed a disconnection today at around 6ish. It appears that Primus has moved my connection to a different gateway (from dsl11.tor.primus.ca to dsl6.tor.primus.ca). It could just be them moving people around to different gateways, trying to find a balance.
Me Balls
join:2002-07-12
North York

Me Balls to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
This is what I've been telling you guys since last month.. Primus' been dropping me like crazy for weeks.. You are very lucky to have just experienced it this week.. thought I was the only one suffering :P

It's really time to switch guys.. I'm still waiting for them to disconnect me!
franch
join:1999-11-03
Canada

franch to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
It's been disconnecting for me too. It seems to start after 6:30pm. I'm still looking for another replacement. If they get things fixed by the end of the month, I'll probably end up staying since it appears that you can own your own modem now.
piotrick
join:2003-01-27
Scarborough, ON

piotrick to Me Balls

to Me Balls
I guess I am lucky then My connection is really reliable with Primus. I'm also waiting to get disconnected. November 7th is the magic date! I hope my nutnbut.net experience will be just as good!
Me Balls
join:2002-07-12
North York

Me Balls to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
hehe.. my magic date is November 15. I'm so excited I'm wetting my pants!

LegiT
@nutnbut.net

LegiT to piotrick

Anon

to piotrick
nutnbut.net is good. I use it. 2.6 megs average...

Disgruntled
@tor.primus.ca

Disgruntled to dogfather_1

Anon

to dogfather_1
Primus used to be good. I've been with them over a year but now am switching back to Bell.

Bell had reliable service. Primus lately is intermittent for a month at least - constant disconnects, fluctuating speed...only at peak use times. I can't deal with it anymore and will never go back.

Customer care promised me 1/2 off on my next bill (two or three weeks ago) however when I called today to cancel my service they had no record of it and of course I forget to write down the customer care reps name/call time/etc. Typical ...

Bottomline - STAY AWAY FROM PRIMUS! What good is your own modem when the service doesn't work.

clean
@216.254.x.x

clean

Anon

Good to see there hasn't been any recent issues. According to a tech at primus, Nexxia's network was having problems, and I can believe it. All my friends were complaining about sympatico at the same time that Primus was having issues. I guess people need to get it in their heads that -- it doesn't matter what DSL service provider you go to, weather it be AOL, Primus, or Golden, they all have one commonality. They ALL go through the Bell Nexxia network.

At least Primus doesn't get hacked!!!

7 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.107.253) 1.837 ms 1.692 ms 1.605 ms
8 64.230.242.201 (64.230.242.201) 1.951 ms 1.978 ms 1.843 ms
9 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.97.2) 1.859 ms 2.144 ms 1.881 ms
10 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.98.246) 2.006 ms 1.974 ms 1.889 ms
11 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.104.30) 2.008 ms 2.138 ms 1.922 ms

IllusionX
@aei.ca

IllusionX to dogfather_1

Anon

to dogfather_1
Well, primus WILL disconnect you if you have a substain (however you spell that word) download rates of 180kb/s... thought, it's not my account... i don't think it has anything to do with my modem or dsl line, cuz it's ok with aei..
romeus
join:2003-12-06
Saint-Laurent, QC

romeus to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
I have problem keeping a constant connection. It's with Primus DSL high speed and the BB0040 modem. I've tried playing around with MTU and RWIN settings with no results. I've tried tweaking BT clients a bit as well, also nothing there. It happens with BT and with any application that uses up a lot of bandwidth for an extended period of time. I just simply loose my connection. Usually the sync is fine after and I can reconnect right away. Sometimes, sync is lost as well. Has anybody found a solution to this? It's really annoying, and I'm starting to consider a switch to Videtron Extreme HS.
NorthernMage4
join:2002-11-09
Mill Bay, BC

NorthernMage4 to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
Romeus, Do you have a router in there as well? Is it just Bit Torrent being disconnected or is every thing shutting down? I was wondering if you had any other page up or MSN Messenger - if it maintained connection. If your modem /router doesn't loose sync them it might be a problem on the distant end, they might be having connection issues. Try leaving something else open to the web and see if it is just BT or all connectivity...

Happyrat6
Google Is Your Best Friend
Premium Member
join:2002-07-01
Disneyland

Happyrat6 to romeus

Premium Member

to romeus
Romeus >>> If you have a 3 Mbit connection with primus you should know there is a firmware issue with the BB0040 that causes disconnects with 3 Mbit connections. Or possibly if you have a 1.7 Mbit connection, someone may have upgraded the firmware in your modem which may cause problems with the 1.7 connection. My advice is to visit »www.gvc.ca and contact tech support about this. They will point you in the right direction for installing the proper firmware on your modem.

kevmetric
Competition, Open And Free Markets
join:2002-01-15

kevmetric to clean

to clean
Actually, that's a bunch of horsesh*t ...pardon
my French.

I had Level II techs from Primus calling my house,
telling me the same things a couple of times,
and Level I's pretending that it was my Cat-5 cables
or my computer drivers, when a simple login using
HSE from my house (vs. a Primus username) got
me sustained 1 Mbit/sec versus the Primus 56 kbps
speeds, fluctuating to 150 kbps at best, during that
period of time. And that was an ADSL connection.

The bottom line is that Level I's and II's are
frequently big liars at Primus ...I've never had
people either play dumb, were dumb or lied to me
that shamelessly anywhere. All it took was a HSE username
and login, to prove their horsesh*t.

You wrote:

"According to a tech at primus, Nexxia's network was having
problems, and I can believe it. All my friends were
complaining about sympatico at the same time that Primus
was having issues"
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
not having any problems here. No disconnects, no speed fluctuations. Here's my latest speed test.»/speed ··· 70817085
This by the way is consistent with previous tests. It seems to me though, in looking at other threads, there are quite a few ISP's that are having various problems. NBN and Golden seem to be the latest. I have had fewer problems with them than I had with Sympatico.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to clean

Premium Member

to clean
said by clean:
Good to see there hasn't been any recent issues. According to a tech at primus, Nexxia's network was having problems, and I can believe it. All my friends were complaining about sympatico at the same time that Primus was having issues. I guess people need to get it in their heads that -- it doesn't matter what DSL service provider you go to, weather it be AOL, Primus, or Golden, they all have one commonality. They ALL go through the Bell Nexxia network.
they all use the bell canada local loop, but many of them do not use the bell canada (formerly nexxia) network...many ISP's have peering agreements with other companies, and some even have their own co-locations in a CO and have their own network to run on...do a little more research on the subject so you don't look so silly posting such inaccurate information.
quote:
At least Primus doesn't get hacked!!!

7 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.107.253) 1.837 ms 1.692 ms 1.605 ms
8 64.230.242.201 (64.230.242.201) 1.951 ms 1.978 ms 1.843 ms
9 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.97.2) 1.859 ms 2.144 ms 1.881 ms
10 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.98.246) 2.006 ms 1.974 ms 1.889 ms
11 bells-network-has-lots-of-security-holes-to-exploit.bell-nexxia. (206.108.104.30) 2.008 ms 2.138 ms 1.922 ms

bell wasn't hacked either...this thread has already been discussed in another board...if you notice, the DNS name is "bell-nexxia", whereas bell uses "bellnexxia" (no hyphen)...the person who did this already came clean.

again, do a little more research. read about it here:
»sympatico.globeandmail.c ··· chnology
»Is anyone getting a weird result from traceroute's

adsf
@tor.primus.ca

adsf to dogfather_1

Anon

to dogfather_1
I had Primus for just over a month now. The modem that was provided to me was a Gnet BB0040. For the first few weeks I was getting constant disconnects and had to turn the modem on/off to get it to reconnect. I bought a new modem Dlink 300G in anticipation of waiving off the modem rental fee and for the last 2 days I did not have to reset my modem to get reconnected.

IllusionX
@tor.primus.ca

IllusionX

Anon

Well, i'm using ex sympatico's Alcatel Speed touch home. i am getting disconnects when anything uses 180kb/s of download bw.
NorthernMage4
join:2002-11-09
Mill Bay, BC

NorthernMage4 to dogfather_1

to dogfather_1
Like ADSF I have also bought a DSL-300G DLink Modem and have been having very good results with it. My speed has gone up and I am not getting any disconnects that I know of. The only problem I have now is getting DLink to acknowledge that they should support the modem in Canada! There still is no information on their Web Site although this modem has been used by Telus, Primus and I think Sympatico.

CDA
@unknown, 131.137.245

CDA to dogfather_1

Anon

to dogfather_1

Primus Issues

I have had very few problems with disconnects, the only issue I have is the occasional slow down but that may be a network problem not totally centered on Primus. I have bought my own modem as well and the customer service people even offered to send a postage paid envelope. I have done all my "talking" by email which sure saves on the phone bills and ensures they know what I am talking about. Over all I am happy, used to have the BB0040 Modem but not sure on the version or firmware.