join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

3 edits
reply to justin

Re: Posting How To - Examples

basic post formatting

When you are tired of just typing text, you can try some basic typesetting features. Careful use of bold, or underline, can make your post more readable. Execessive use can make your post less readable.

I am going to use code blocks here (more on these later) to explain some basic post highlighting. The code block will introduce you to a feature, then show you what you type, and the next line under the code block, will show how it looks.

To put part of your post in bold, use the <b> attribute,
and end it, </b> at the end.

Here is a line with <b>two words</b> in bold

here is a line with two words in bold.

To put part of your post in italic, use the <i> attribute, 
and end it </i> at the end of the italic section.

Here is a line with <i>two words</i> in italics.

here is a line with two words in italics.

To the right of the post window is a short list of hints for these magic attribute tags. By the way, when you use these, you are actually using some of the most basic HTML tags!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

2 edits

Quoting
Another useful tag you should try out is to quote blocks, perhaps from an article, or something else.

The best way to do this is to use quote blocks. Quote blocks are are done this way:

Anywhere within a post, you can highlight some text as
a quote, in the official "this is quoted text" message
board style. You do it this way:
[quote=someone said]The text of the quote..
it can be as long as you like. When you are done..
[/quote]

Looks like this:
said by someone said :
The text of the quote..
it can be as long as you like. When you are done..

The 'quote block' is a quick and easy way to make some copy/pasted text stand out from the rest of your post.

Using the same syntax but with [bquote=]..[/bquote] tag looks like this:
said by someone said :

The text of the quote..
It can be as long as you like. When you are done..

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

Quoting other users

If you REPLY to a user, then the AUTO QUOTE button will automatically fill in a quote block for you, at the start of your post. You can even press it after you have finished typing, the added text is inserted for you.

It is polite to TRIM the quoted block, if necessary, so the quoted text is as short as possible.

You can of course just make your own quote blocks, with copy and paste, even if you are replying to another user. This may be useful if you wish to quote several parts of the post, and reply to each part immediately. In that case, you need many quote blocks. Make sure for every quote block start, you have a quote block finish! otherwise, you may end up with nested quotes.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

1 edit

1 recommendation

Making a list.

• Item 1
• item 2
• item 3

And so on...

This was done by typing:

Making a list.
<li> Item 1
<li> item 2
<li> item 3
And so on...

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

4 edits

Including links

If you copy and paste a recognizeable link (URL) into a post, it will be automatically converted to a real link. If the link is very long, then it will be truncated, but the actual link will remain untouched.

»www.cnn.com
»www.linkedin.com
»ftp://ftp.wustl.edu

The above links were recognized after I typed

http://www.cnn.com
https://www.linkedin.com
ftp://ftp.wustl.edu

Any links that refer to dslreports.com or broadbandreports.com are treated specially, and the domain name is stripped off. Additionally, if the link is a common one, a full name is substituted!

»/aboutdsl
»DSL FAQ
»Re: Posting How To - Examples
»Security

But they will still work as per normal. In addition, if the link is a FAQ entry or another topic on the forums, the TITLE of the FAQ entry or forum topic is automatically included for you.

If a link does not convert properly, or you wish to supply your own title, you can use plain html

<A HREF="http://www.cnn.com">CNN news site</A>

CNN news site
As above.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

downloadNOTEPAD.zip 34,765 bytes
Notepad.exe
(NOTEPAD.EXE)
Attaching Files

You can include with your post an attached file. The file is displayed along with the post and is available for download if a viewer so chooses.

Normally, files are ZIPPED, before they are available for download. Unless the file is an image, or already a ZIP file. This saves on bandwidth, and also ensures that users viewing posts do not accidently click on an attachment that is an executable of some kind and have it run before they notice what is happening.

I've attached a file to this post. It is the notepad EXE from windows. I've also given it a caption.
This is a sub-selection from Posting How To - Examples