spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TechDJ
@optonline.net

TechDJ

Anon

My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro displays colored artifacts

I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128mb, Intel Pentium 2.4 with 1 gig of system memory. When I play my games such as Unreal Tournament 2003,Battlefield 1942 series,Counterstrike and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne Demo, i get these flickering boxes of colors that speratically show up on walls or ground. The colors that are displayed are red,pink,blue,green....etc. It's almost like "broken graphics". Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this problem.

deadmeat
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21
Sonoma, CA

deadmeat

Premium Member

Well if they are artifacts. The card could be overheating or you could have a defective card. Did you over clock it at all?

TechDJ
@optonline.net

TechDJ to TechDJ

Anon

to TechDJ
No overclocking was involved

MRK8
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
San Antonio, TX

MRK8 to TechDJ

Premium Member

to TechDJ
What version ATI drivers are you running? Have you tried installing a different version to test whether that helps?

Another thought - it also sounds like overheating artifacts.
What's the core and memory clock speed of your card? Even if it's running stock speeds, either the core or memory may still be overheating from either poor contact of the heat sink on the GPU core, or poor air circulation inside your case (leaving the case open while you run some games can help test that if the heat sink checks out ok.)

TechDJ
@optonline.net

TechDJ to TechDJ

Anon

to TechDJ
Catalyst 3.9 is the version of the driver but any version wouldn't have mattered because with each version i stiil had this problem.

MRK8
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

MRK8 to TechDJ

Premium Member

to TechDJ
I take it you've already checked that your voltages are holding up ok?

Stick a fan blowing onto the video card edge-on (so the air is flowing over both sides) and see if the problem persists.
If nothing you try to do helps the problem at all, it may unfortunately just be a flaky card begging for an RMA warranty replacement.

TechDJ
@optonline.net

TechDJ to TechDJ

Anon

to TechDJ
How do i check my voltages?

MRK8
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

MRK8 to TechDJ

Premium Member

to TechDJ
Depending on what model mb you have, a program that can log temps and voltages like MBM5 would work. If nothing else, measuring the +5v and +12v with a voltmeter at one of the power supply connectors while the system's running a game is another way. (the 3.3v is trickier to do manually - you have to use a thin probe or wire at the power supply connector plug)