WPC54G upgrade available

Has anyone done this upgrade yet for the card? Driver Version : 3.30.15.0

»ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/netw ··· v1.3.zip

»www.linksys.com/download ··· ?dlid=92

streetwolf
join:2002-02-22
Marlboro, NJ

streetwolf

Of course. For most of us any driver or firmware older then 2 days is considered ancient history let alone 4 months!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to tyspeed29

Premium Member

to tyspeed29
i think this is new, the date on the web page is wrong

it says that it comes with a wpa supplicant, i guess you dont have to buy additional software for non xp systems

streetwolf
join:2002-02-22
Marlboro, NJ

streetwolf to tyspeed29

to tyspeed29
Just downloaded it and it does appear to be a new release. Sorry for doubting you.

Now who's going to try it first?

tyspeed29
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Simi Valley, CA

tyspeed29

Premium Member

I just upgraded to, seems to be working ok, no problems.
tyspeed29

tyspeed29

Premium Member

Click for full size
One thing I noticed on the new driver, is they added bluetooth to the card!
savaget
join:2003-10-27
Canada

savaget

Anyone here want to speculate what "bluetooth collaboration" means with respect to this new wpc54g driver?
lilthrift
join:2002-03-17
Fayetteville, NC

lilthrift to tyspeed29

to tyspeed29
I have upgraded and all seems to be fine. I could not get my card to do WPA w/o this upgrade.
linksys asia
join:2003-07-17
Iraq

linksys asia to tyspeed29

to tyspeed29
actually Bluetooth is like a sister of this wireless technology for the fact that it uses the same frequency as the Bluetooth. But wait had you heard of the usbbt100? that is a wireless Bluetooth usb device that has just been released by Linksys/Cisco. That is a wireless usb adapter that can work as Bluetooth device at the same time. Isn't it wonderful?
SlimyPizza1
join:2002-12-28
Roswell, GA

SlimyPizza1 to tyspeed29

to tyspeed29
Has anybody had trouble installing this update (v1.3)? I can't seem to get it to work on my Windows-ME laptop. Any ideas on what I could be missing? I download, unzip, run setup (which uninstalls the current drivers), then run setup again to install the new drivers. However, there are errors noted on reboot and the card does not function properly. I have to revert back to v1.21. It would be nice to have the WPA supplicant but this v1.3 just won't run for me.

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk

Premium Member

said by SlimyPizza1:
Has anybody had trouble installing this update (v1.3)?
I installed the new firmware last night and so far, everything appears stable. I remembered in the original installation instructions re: XP installation not to install the utility. We just updated the driver and all seems fine. I often wonder why XP doesn't play well with the "Linksys Utility" as it actually looks pretty cool. I guess they believe "Wireless Zero" is good enough
SlimyPizza1
Roswell, GA

SlimyPizza1

I've got a ME laptop and I can't seem to install the latest WPC54G firmware. Has anyone accomplished the update on a ME machine??

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV

MyTechLife to tyspeed29

to tyspeed29
Could someone post a screenshot of the Notebook Adapter Properties Advanced tab of the previous driver so I can see what has changed? About the same time I upgraded the driver my connection now throttles down to as low as 1 Mbps with my laptop being only 5 feet away from my WRT54G AP. It even slows down my webpages loading, which at 1 Mbps should come up very quickly - so I think it's a packet loss issue. It's very sporadic. There's no other 2.4Ghz interference nearby that I could tell that would cause such a degradation in performance.

When I initially installed the updated driver, I had left the card inserted in the computer. Somehow the installer didn't detect that I have WindowsXP and installed the Win98/ME supplicant and extra adapters. It took a system restore to get that cleared out. So if you upgrade, make sure you uninstall and eject your card.
MikeBomb
join:2000-07-27
Brooklyn, NY

MikeBomb to SlimyPizza1

to SlimyPizza1
said by SlimyPizza1:
Has anybody had trouble installing this update (v1.3)? I can't seem to get it to work on my Windows-ME laptop.
I have a Win 98 (1st ed) laptop that I tried to install this on. At startup there are errors trying to run ODHOST.EXE, then I cannot even get WEP to work, much less WPA. I had to go back to the older version (1.21? from 06/24/03) before I could get my laptop to communicate with my WRTG54 again.

BA
MVM
join:2001-05-24
Vancouver, BC

BA to savaget

MVM

to savaget
said by savaget:
Anyone here want to speculate what "bluetooth collaboration" means with respect to this new wpc54g driver?

I'm guessing that it somehow helps with Wi-fi/Bluetooth coexistance. Maybe the driver looks to see if there are Bluetooth devices installed and tries to transmit when BT is idle. Since both technologies use the same frequency, there's potential for interference.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

MyTechLife to MikeBomb

to MikeBomb
I had problems with Odhost.exe when I first installed too. That's the Odyssey Host networking service which is the WPA supplicant. Try an uninstall/reinstall with your card removed.
gerald410
join:2001-11-14
Hempstead, NY

1 edit

gerald410

Hey ned i just updated wmp54g from international version 30.30.15 to official 30.30.15. Was hairy for a minute but got it up and running contains bluetooth tab also internation version didnt. ps i disabled bluetooth collaboration. If running xp no need for 3rd party supplicant for wpa:)
Slione
Premium Member
join:2002-12-14
Niles, MI

Slione to SlimyPizza1

Premium Member

to SlimyPizza1
SlimyPizza and MikeBomb:

I downloaded the driver a couple of night ago and there was this at the bottom of the page:

If you are having problems using this Adapter and you have a Texas Instrument CardBus Controller, please download this driver here.

Is it possible that you have this cardbus controller?
bluemanp
join:2003-12-26
Pittsburgh, PA

bluemanp to tyspeed29

to tyspeed29
I'm also trying to install on a WinME machine, and can't get the configuration app to show up in the systray, even though it's running. Any ideas/suggesitons? When I upgrade to the latest release, I also get the ODHost message, and still no systray app.

Thanks.

Daveo
@221.xx.81.dial.bluew

Daveo to MyTechLife

Anon

to MyTechLife
I have exactly the same problem as this,no other wireles devices in my universe... did you find a solution or should I try to find an older driver??
Daveo

Daveo

Anon

sorry that was a reply to wireless guru about the performance slowing down to less than 1mb
SlimyPizza1
Roswell, GA

SlimyPizza1 to bluemanp

to bluemanp
said by bluemanp:
I'm also trying to install on a WinME machine, and can't get the configuration app to show up in the systray, even though it's running. Any ideas/suggesitons? When I upgrade to the latest release, I also get the ODHost message, and still no systray app.

Thanks.

I don't believe this update is intended for anything other than XP. I wish that had been marked as such on the update notes.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

3 edits

MyTechLife to Daveo

to Daveo

WMP54G Advanced Properties
I'm still troubleshooting random disconnects and speed loss even though my notebook is about 5' from the Access Point (WRT54G). BTW, I'm using WindowsXP on all of my computers and using the Windows XP Wirelesss Zero Configuration Utility.

I upgraded the firmware on the WRT54G v1 (Wireless Router) to 1.42.3 - and tinkered with a few of the settings on the Wireless - Advanced Wireless Settings page with no effect.

I have a desktop computer downstairs which is using the WMP54G, which will get 1 disconnect per day - but it tells you that you are disconnected, and it is easily re-connected by pressing "Connect" in the View Wireless Networks dialog box. With the WPC54G on my notebook, it doesn't tell me I'm disconnected - and to fix it I have to either eject and re-insert the card, or disable then re-enable the Wireless Network Connection.

Interestingly, the WPC54G driver (which I recently upgraded via download from Linksys) and the WMP54G driver (which is the original driver that came on the CD with the product) are the same exact driver - bcmwl5.sys . The only difference in the 2 is that the .inf and .cat file for the WPC54G is lsbcmnds.*, but on the WMP54G they are bcmwl5.* .

There are also different Advanced Properties on both cards. I'm attaching a screen shot of the properties in their default state on the WMP54G. Interestingly, on the desktop computer with the WMP54G, changing the IBSS 54g(tm) Mode from "802.11b Only" to "54g Auto" caused temporary loss of connection on my notebook. I'll leave it at 54g Auto for a while to see how things play.

Daveo
@161.xx.213.dial.blue

Daveo

Anon

Hi Ned, think I've tried everything, even a few of the older drivers (that are even worse ie no connection at all) read something about compatibility issues with Texas instruments cardbus. I borrowed a friends laptop which is a later model (but still Texas Instruments) same problems and speeds exactly. Think I will turn my attention now to the desktop and see if there are any solutions there that present itself.

Is your laptop using a Texas Instruments Cardbus for your PCMCIA? Maybe we will have to wait for Linksys to finish there beta testing with that first(Pain in the but)

One curious thing is if I have both computers set to auto connection speeds I get about 110 kb/s through put- with the connection at 1mb, but with the PC set to connect at 54mb only, and the laptop in Auto, I get around 380 kb/s

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

MyTechLife

My Sony laptop is using a "Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller".

I had another random disconnect yesterday. Again, ejecting the card and reinserting it got it connected again.

I'm documenting everything I try, so hopefully I will be able to figure out what the ultimate fix will be.
bluemanp
join:2003-12-26
Pittsburgh, PA

bluemanp to Daveo

to Daveo
One thing that helped is the systray app from boingo, which apparently can be used as a substitute. I also got WinME to partially reconfigure itself, removing some of the problems (more or less like whacking the side of an unruly machine).

Brushfireb
@dsl.bltnin.ameritech

Brushfireb to tyspeed29

Anon

to tyspeed29
So has anyone gotten this working in WinME yet? I am having the problems that the others describe (config utility is running but not showing, errors upon reboot, etc).

I would like to get this running on the WinME laptop.

Thanks
Brian
kavakava
join:2004-01-12

kavakava

I just purchased the WRT54G router and 2 WPC54G wireless adapter cards for my Dell Inspirons 8100 and 4000. The 8100 with WinXp works like a charm, but the 4000 with WinMe is even worse than dog slow. It used to take a minute or so to boot, but after installation it takes approximately 45 minutes from boot to load everything and make the wireless connection. After that it does work and it works pretty well. Maybe you should give it some time to come up and see if it does work.

I'm looking for answers on how to resolve the slow boot process if anyone has them...

Brushfireb
@dhcp-156-56.indiana.

Brushfireb

Anon

Kavakava,

I will try this. Usually I am too impatient with PC to wait 45 minutes. Is this with the newest drivers with WPA supplicant included?

Perhaps I can get ahold of Linksys concerning the WinME issues.

Brian
kavakava
join:2004-01-12

kavakava

I believe it's the version dated 7/17/2003, I think that's the latest driver and that would include the WPA?

I called linksys last night, be prepared to wait 45 minutes for them to answer... The guy had no recommendations other than trying to remove startup items and upgrade my OS to Win2000 - which I don't have and don't intend to buy.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the WPC54G several times. Each time it was uninstalled, my boot up was within a minute and a half with everything I normaly load at start. I tried startup with nothing but the essential stuff and the wpc54g and it still took 45 minutes to get going. Something is not right with the utility. Each time it shows up as a running application, but nothing in the tray unless I walk away and let it magically do its thing. -- But it is pretty darn fast when it does get going.

Anyone have experience with upgrading WinMe to WinXP? Looks like that's the next thing for me to try.