uniqs

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

Is .Mac worth the price?

Would the money be better spent on other software?

eMurphy007
Premium Member
join:2003-04-29
Roseville, MI

eMurphy007

Premium Member

I think its based on personal preference. As of yet I have decided against it. I may be inclined pay the $99 for the first year to set up the account, but I think it should be a little cheaper for renewals. (just my opinion)

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to corster

Premium Member

to corster
.Mac is worth the less than 10 bucks a month if you want a reliable web host, email service with web client, remote data storage, ability to easily xfer Web bookmarks, public calendar publishing, and virus protection.

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
Honesdale, PA
ARRIS eXtreme SB6120

Kickroot

Premium Member

said by The Dv8or:
public calendar publishing, and virus protection.

About this calendar publishing. If I publish my iCal calendar on .mac, who can read it? Is it in HTML format, or does anybody in my family who wants to read it need a mac as well?

I would really like to be able to publish my schedule online for the whole world to be able to read in a web browser. At the very least it would keep me from having to spell out my schedule multiple times to everybody.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to corster

to corster
It depends on if the services .Mac provides are of good value to you. Personally I think it's a better deal if you have more than one Mac to keep up with. Using iSync to keep my contacts, calendar entries, and bookmarks concurrent on both the iBook and the tower is a really handy feature, and probably the only reason I would get .Mac. If you don't need this ability and if you already have email, webspace, webDAV access, you may not find .Mac as useful.

But if you're on the fence, why not sign up for the trial and see how that goes?

Eric
Animals Rule This Land
MVM
join:2000-09-29
I see trees.

Eric to corster

MVM

to corster
Yes, iCal can be read by anyone with a browser. Click on the iCal link at the top of the page to see one in action.

I'm in my second year with .Mac. I like the email and the webspace the most. iDisk is very useful too for hosting images and other pieces of software you want to share with your friends.

The free software that .Mac throws at its members is great too. The most useful piece of software they have given to me so far is iBlog. It is a great alternative to the traditional websites that .Mac can set up for you. And is even better for those like me who are not too inclined to learn everything about web page design.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9 to corster

Premium Member

to corster
For me, the value in .mac really comes out when you have more than one computer. iSync and iDisk make all the difference (but you wouldn't need them if you had nothing to sync with). Their IMAP email service is not bad either, if you don't have an alternative.

ray1083
join:2000-08-09
West Haven, CT
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
Asus RT-AC86

ray1083

said by Mauricio9:
For me, the value in .mac really comes out when you have more than one computer. iSync and iDisk make all the difference (but you wouldn't need them if you had nothing to sync with). Their IMAP email service is not bad either, if you don't have an alternative.

Its also great when you buy a new machine and you sell your old one. When my new PB arrives an iSync will put me right back where I was.

If .mac was just e-mail and web space it would not be worth it, but when you add in all the "freebies" its not too bad.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to rjackson

Premium Member

to rjackson
said by rjackson:
why not sign up for the trial and see how that goes?

They have a trial?

Eric
Animals Rule This Land
MVM
join:2000-09-29
I see trees.

Eric

MVM

said by corster:
said by rjackson:

They have a trial?

And it's free.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

said by Eric:
said by corster:
said by rjackson:

They have a trial?

And it's free.

Although somewhat crippled. Backup will only work with iDisk, not local drives. And your webspace / mail space is restricted.

leXicon5
Pelosi, SHUT YOUR Fing Pie Hole
Premium Member
join:2000-12-27
Saint Louis, MO

leXicon5

Premium Member

said by Mauricio9:
Although somewhat crippled. Backup will only work with iDisk, not local drives.
Mmmmm....not entirely true.
A FireWire disk is local...right? Wherever it is plugged in....would be local.....I guess.....
CD-RW and DVD-RW could also be local...

Mauricio9
Premium Member
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9

Premium Member

I don't know if this is new with Backup 2. With Backup 1.5 and 2 beta, while I was on the free trial, I couldn't back up to local drives, just iDisk. And I never got that "Thank you for joining .mac" while I was on the trial either, just the sales pitch. Which makes sense; the trial is meant to demonstrate the capabilities, not to let you use them at 100%.

Are you sure you are on a computer with a free trial?

leXicon5
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

leXicon5

Premium Member

I'm a paid member.....
If your post was explaining free trial restrictions...then I guess that is true. I've never not had a membership. I got in on the ground floor when it wss free....(bastiges....)
From the post, it could also look like it is always restricted....

As for discounts on renewals....there are. $20 off of $20 or more in purchases at the Apple Store on-line. Thats how I got my iTrip for $19 and some change.

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
Honesdale, PA

Kickroot to corster

Premium Member

to corster
I'm about to sign up for .mac. Anyone wanna give me a referral name? =)

leXicon5
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

leXicon5

Premium Member

lexicon5 at mac dot com
Do you need a name too?

Bryon
This space for rent
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Speedway, IN

Bryon to eMurphy007

Premium Member

to eMurphy007
said by eMurphy007:
...I may be inclined pay the $99 for the first year to set up the account, but I think it should be a little cheaper for renewals...
It was discounted for renewal. I got a $20 coupon from the Apple Store.

regards,
bReal