spc
uniqs

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

1 recommendation

Jmartz0 to nothing00

to nothing00

Re: 167.206.5.85/32 [*.srv.hcvlny.cv.net] BLACKLISTED.

It's not irresponsible on the part of them. It's irresponsible on the part of Cablevision that they can't control the problem, or don't want to control the problem. All they have to do is start enforcing the TOS for people who have mail servers on the network. Start disconnecting peoples services without warning.

If they did a hard crack down on these people, I bet you would see results. Although it would alienate those customers... is that really new to Cablevision?

I'm not someone who cried "TOS Violation" at every second of the day. However, a small web server that isn't slowing people down isn't an issue. A mail server that is responsible for sending out thousands of messages and then getting put onto black lists could effect more than just the people "on the same node" and Cablevision needs to get tough on them. These people are worse then running a web server if you ask me. The people who run the email services can affect the entire OOL subscriber base.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 edit

AVD

Premium Member

said by Jmartz0:
These people are worse then running a web server if you ask me.

Refresh my memory, what's so bad about running a web server in the first place?

edit: I'm confused, is the OOL MTA blacklisted, or is the streetspirit's ip blacklisted, and if so did the mail bounce because his setup sent the mail direct, or is the filter so sophisticated that it figured out his IP was sending through OOL's mail transfer agent

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek

OOL is blacklisted it self.
Why is runing a webserver so bad.
Well your on a shared network with 500 other people on your node.
If one of you host a webserver and lets say you put up a Picture of Britney Spears Kissing Beyonce. And tons of people flood into see it. Then not only will Tons of other people have trouble accessing your site. But the other 499 people on your node will have trouble getting online.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

1 edit

Jmartz0 to AVD

to AVD
said by AVD:
Refresh my memory, what's so bad about running a web server in the first place?
See, "technically" it's against the TOS. However, a web server is only going to affect people on a node, which at max would be 500 people, but usually a lot less.

An open email server that has been compromised, can potentially cause problems for over a million users.

So there really isn't a way to compare the two when you look at what each one can do to the network. But if you were to try and compare the two; running a web server is the least of OOL's problems at the moment. At least I think so.

And I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about the two. But I was just trying to figure out what OOL is thinking by trying to compare the two and figure out why they prefer to protect 500 people (much less than that in most areas) and not the million or so that rely on email...
Kip patterson
Premium Member
join:2000-10-23
Columbus, OH

Kip patterson to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
The OOL mail server is blacklisted because spam was sent through it. It is not an open relay, so someone on the OOL net was spamming and it was reported to SORBS. The destination system used SORBS as the basis for rejecting the email.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0

Re: 167.206.5.85/32 [*.srv.hcvlny.cv.net] BLACKLIS

said by Jmartz0:
It's not irresponsible on the part of them. It's irresponsible on the part of Cablevision that they can't control the problem, or don't want to control the problem. All they have to do is start enforcing the TOS for people who have mail servers on the network. Start disconnecting peoples services without warning.
I agree with you entirely that Cablevision bears some burden. I even said as much. However, I definitely disagree on the point regarding usage of a blacklist in a business critical function such as recruiting. That is irresponsible on the part of the company.

I also agree with how you suggest to deal with the issue. The reason they go after "bandwidth hogs" and TOS "violators" is that it's easy for them. Correcting the spam problem seems to be entirely out of their grasp.

I have no idea why Cablevision allows an unsubscribed modem free and unrestricted access to their network for nearly two weeks.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

2 edits

StreetSpirit to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:
said by Jmartz0:
These people are worse then running a web server if you ask me.

edit: I'm confused, is the OOL MTA blacklisted, or is the streetspirit's ip blacklisted, and if so did the mail bounce because his setup sent the mail direct, or is the filter so sophisticated that it figured out his IP was sending through OOL's mail transfer agent

The OOL MTA is blacklisted. My IP has nothing to do with it.

SORBS Hostname Span
Blacklist Extends to the following hostname(s).
Automated removal is not possible.

167.206.005.085 DNS mta10.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

[EDIT: This machine has a shell login, acts as a DNS server, has a webserver that throws a 403, and is an MTA. Perhaps that machine is exploited - Good point Rainier.]

SixSpeed
join:2001-12-24
USA

SixSpeed to Kip patterson

to Kip patterson

Re: 167.206.5.85/32 [*.srv.hcvlny.cv.net] BLACKLISTED.

said by Kip patterson:
The OOL mail server is blacklisted because spam was sent through it. It is not an open relay, so someone on the OOL net was spamming and it was reported to SORBS. The destination system used SORBS as the basis for rejecting the email.

In order for a IP range to get blocked its more than one person sending spam. OOL's mail appliances on the net and outside their DMZ are most likely being owned and used a relays without them even knowing. Zombied mail servers or even peoples virus-ed PC's can generate thousands of mails a day to anywhere in the world. Lots of ISP's are blocking OOL addys these days, there was even a news article on it. Its a case of having a weak mail system.