jansm38
Vn800-B
Premium Member
join:2003-05-19
Blackwood, NJ

jansm38 to Splat8

Premium Member

to Splat8
Gotta agree with X-News. Supports multiple servers very well.
Bahnzo
join:2002-08-09
Loveland, CO

Bahnzo

Another vote for X-news also...easy to use and powerfull

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to abediz

Premium Member

to abediz
I used Free Agent for a number of years and then bought Agent because I could find nothing I liked better.

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

LoPhatPhuud to abediz

MVM

to abediz
X-News, especially for the multiple server ability.

aitech
Guru. Kneel
join:2000-12-19
Boston, MA

aitech to abediz

to abediz
Be advised - atleast in Boston - Comcast is actively throttling port 119 access, and is selectively blocking/slowing down access to *.giganews.com.

fyi

abediz
join:2002-01-10
Chicago, IL

abediz

How do you know this? or better yet, how can you prove this?
Nyteblade
join:2003-12-04
San Antonio, TX

Nyteblade to abediz

to abediz
I use Grabit. It's simple & does the job.

»www.shemes.com/
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to abediz

to abediz
right next to boston and they are even throttling the netnews.comcast.net here as well. i can't pulla post at more then 34 k a sec. I have to open 4 connections to the server to atleast get decent speed.

aitech
Guru. Kneel
Boston, MA

aitech to abediz

to abediz

Port 80 Giga Binary

Port 119 Giga Binary

Webdownload from Cnet port 80

I know/prove this by having graphic throughput graphs clearly showing a binary download over 5 minutes using giganews port 119 to a server, then showing the same binary download over 5 minutes using the same server, but with port 80 (because giga has this set up to circumvent port 119 blocking) going through at full bandwidth without a hickup all t he way through, and having 3 other people on other services (Verizon/RCN) do the same thing at the same times, and their port 80/119 graphs are always the same, while mine and other comcast subs are always clearly different. And then, a few weeks after that discovery - and my posting of it - now all graphs (port 119 and 80) to *.giganews from comcast only lines are the same.

Granted this is not an extremely scientific way of proving it, it is enough for me to realize what is going on, and has been repeated with similar results enough times to prove it AFAIC.

Example... today 12/04/03 approx 5pm -
The differences here are identical almost everytime run, the port 119 graph shows much more throttling/slower speeds during more "peak" times ?? also at 2-4am it never goes above 80 kb/sec.

Now, based on these graphs - you tell me what you think is going on?
aitech

aitech to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn
Wow - someone speaks! :-D Thanks for posting - I was getting scared that a black van was going to pull up outside.. No one else seemed to believe what I was saying. What's even more troubling, though, is that they moved the throttle/block from only port 119 giganews to *.giganews.com - when I first noticed they did that - I couldn't even log onto www.giganews.com from comcast - but everyone else could..

I've been ranting about this for weeks - I would think a major ISP blatantly port blocking/throttling services and specific IP addr would cause more of a concern???

dae1
join:2002-04-16
Chicago, IL

dae1 to abediz

to abediz
Xnews is great... but I've been using NewsBinPro lately. I like the fact that upgrades are lifetime and free after you register. Stopped using the hacked version and finally registered, and it has been worth my money since.

But Mozilla's mail client is fine enough to read threads in newsgroups.
The Way Out
join:2003-01-20

The Way Out to abediz

to abediz
Another vote for XNews. I have Supernews, Giganews, and Allegiance added to it, so everything is darn near 100% complete.

wheelzoff
join:2001-02-14
Irving, TX

wheelzoff to BosstonesOwn

to BosstonesOwn
I can get a constant 150K/sec on netnews.comcast.net on a single connection, so having a newsreader that allows multiple connections is a must.

TheHermit
Premium Member
join:2002-04-18
Chicopee, MA

TheHermit to abediz

Premium Member

to abediz
I use Xnews but never tried any other client. I might switch though because xnews is no longer updated.

wheelzoff
join:2001-02-14
Irving, TX

wheelzoff to abediz

to abediz
For binaries I like newsbin, and for text groups I use agent, although I don't use text groups much .

ConfusedSysAdmin to aitech

Anon

to aitech
hmmmm, this is interesting gentlemen

aitech
Guru. Kneel
Boston, MA

aitech

Oh, there's a lot more then that to show.. Are you not aware of this going on??

oliphant5
Got Identity?
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24
Corona, CA

oliphant5 to abediz

Premium Member

to abediz
I too vote Newsbin Pro eventhough it costs $$.

aitech
Guru. Kneel
Boston, MA

aitech to abediz

to abediz

Giganews Download Today
OMG This is getting rediculous!!! Can anyone else confirm this!?

Graph binary d/l giganews port 80 8pm tdy.

Assault
join:2001-12-14
Garland, TX

Assault to abediz

to abediz
Newsbin pro
danno86
join:2003-10-10
Jacksonville, FL

danno86 to abediz

to abediz
If you haven't tried it, go download NewsBin Pro...yes, it is hard to use at 1st but once you have it configured properly, agent and xnews don't even come close to being in the same league.

-danno

Voyager2K2
join:2001-10-04
Wayne, PA

Voyager2K2 to abediz

to abediz
Sorry, just trolled in here from the bandwidth cap discussion.

Anyway, I thought I would add my 2 cents to this thread.

If you frequent a really huge group like a.b.dvdr, Newsbin Pro really sucks up the resources.
I am told Xnews is good if you news server supports it.

Right now I prefer Grabit. It is resource friendly.
Still in Beta, a free program available @ »www.shemes.com/

BTW If you do frequent a.b.dvdr visit our forum.
»www.altbinariesdvdr.net/forum/

We tend to address the needs of the heavy Usenet downloader as well as discuss the current goings on in a.b.dvdr.
danno86
join:2003-10-10
Jacksonville, FL

danno86

said by Voyager2K2:

If you frequent a really huge group like a.b.dvdr, Newsbin Pro really sucks up the resources.
I am told Xnews is good if you news server supports it.

Resources in terms of CPU resources...or bandwidth resources? It definitely eats up all of my 3mbit download
huyvu
join:2001-03-25

huyvu to abediz

to abediz
Another vote for Grabit. Even though its beta, I haven't had any crashes or problems you expect with beta apps.
kammike
join:2001-11-30
Reisterstown, MD

kammike to abediz

to abediz
I agree with makaze...The best is the Forte Agent newsreader. I have the registered version but see no difference between it and the (free)"Free Agent" version.

As a Comcast customer, we got screwed when Comcast "upgraded" to a more "reliable" service after the Excite@home failure. My connection was reduced from a T-3 speed (off the Excite@home server) to the (barely) T-1 speed I'm now receiving (from the Comcast-owned servers).

Comcast also screwed us with the newsgroups.

At the same time, they offered unlimited downloads off their netnews server. That was later changed to a 1 Gig monthly download limit off the (new) giganews server.If you download alot of binaries from the newsgroups....1 Gig is nothing!

Thanks to Comcast I'm now spending an additional $70/year for the newsguy service (www.newsguy.com). In summary, if you subscribe to the giganews server and download binaries...go with the forte Free agent and join the newsguy service. Set your server to news.newsguy.com.

Question for the former ATT customers that are now with Comcast:

Firstly, my condolences....QUESTION: Is Comcast offering you (former ATT) customers unlimited downloads off the netnews servers???As stated, us original Comcast customers are restricted to 1 GIG per month.

I'm going to take a few Xanax in order to prepare myself for something that will probably piss me off.
seph29
join:2003-09-28
Los Angeles, CA

seph29 to abediz

to abediz
quote:
Resources in terms of CPU resources...or bandwidth resources? It definitely eats up all of my 3mbit download
I've also noticed that newsbin pro sucks up a lot of computer resources. Namely RAM. On some of the larger groups I visit NBPro had a tendency to use as much as 400 megabytes of RAM. This is absolutely ludricous and it hinders the download speed. I've also noticed that if you leave it open for a while on a group and go to refresh the headers it will stall for several minutes before it starts to download. No other program I've used does this. Needless to say I no longer use NBPro. I've been using a combination of Grabit and Agent. It depends on the purpose of the group.
quote:

My connection was reduced from a T-3 speed (off the Excite@home server) to the (barely) T-1 speed I'm now receiving (from the Comcast-owned servers).
You had a 45 mbit/s connection(full T-3 speed) w/@home? Somehow I find that unlikely... perhaps 4.5, but not 45.