Search similar:

uniqs
BabeBrown
join:2003-07-02
Fenton, MI

BabeBrown

SMC7004ABR - Port Forwarding for BitTorrent

Hello!
I am trying to use Burst! or any other BitTorrent type client to download a large file of a version of Linux. The downloads are quite slow and I read that was a result of being behind my SMC7004ABR router firewall and that I would need to change its settings so that it would allow the port range the BitTorrent uses for file transfer.
I have been fiddling around in the SMC setup, but I am unsure of exactly where I should enter the changes.
Can anybody help me with good details of how this is done?
Thank you and regards, Babe
sr1515
join:2003-11-12
Montreal, QC

sr1515

Use Virtual Server to forward TCP ports 6881 to 6889. That's what I did previously on my 7004ABR and also on my current 7008ABR and BitTorrent works fine.

You might also have better performance with Shadow's BitTorrent client (»home.elp.rr.com/tur/). That's the one I use and I regularly hit 3 mbps download speeds with it.

HTH

abediz
join:2002-01-10
Chicago, IL

abediz to BabeBrown

to BabeBrown
I do not have port forwarding setup but my torrents with Shareaza works fine. Would setting it up speed thing up?

I hate that virtual server does not forward ranges, so I would have to make 9 entries.
sr1515
Montreal, QC

1 edit

sr1515

said by abediz:
I do not have port forwarding setup but my torrents with Shareaza works fine. Would setting it up speed thing up?
It did speed things up dramatically in my case. However I don't use Shareaza so I can't tell about this.
said by abediz:
I hate that virtual server does not forward ranges, so I would have to make 9 entries.

I know. It's unfortunate but it's the only solution with this unit unless SMC comes up with a newer firmware that could handle it. I was really relieved to find out that the newer 7008ABR 750.9814 supports port ranges.
BabeBrown
join:2003-07-02
Fenton, MI

BabeBrown

Hi Again!
Thanks so much for the speedy response. I will try that tomorrow. I had already set the port ranges somewhere in the router's setup, but as I was totally unable to connect to any trackers to download the files I needed, I gave up and connected directly through my cable modem. This is rather inconvenient however, so I will do as you advised and let you know how it worked. I am thinking seriously about buying a new router that will have port forwarding, but I also need the printer sharing that the SMC7004ABR provides. Any suggestions or recommendations for what brand and model of router. I don't want a wireless router.
Thanks again! Babe
sr1515
Montreal, QC

1 edit

sr1515

The old generation 7004ABR does have port forwarding through the Virtual Server option. Its only shortcoming is that it doesn't allow port ranges to be specified. Hence, you have to use up one entry for each port you want to forward. With only 20 entries, this can become an annoying limitation. That being said, the Virtual Server option works very well on the 7004ABR.

The new generation 7008ABR (model 750.9814) supports port ranges in the Virtual Server option. I would hope that the new generation 7004ABR (model 750.9818) is enabled in the same way but I don't know.
The Lord2
join:2003-12-16

The Lord2 to BabeBrown

to BabeBrown
Hello, I've also the smc 7004ABR V.2 and I made the following settings in the setup: virtual server: LAN IP: the one of my PC, Protocol Type: TCP&UDP, LAN Port: 6881-6999, Public Port:6881-6999 and Enable is checked. Is this the right entry for bittorrent? Because I use the experimental version of bittorrent and the status LED is still yellow (should be green). What else do I've to enter in the setup? Other reasons? Thx for help.

inmuck
Idiot In The East
Premium Member
join:2003-01-29
Raleigh, NC

inmuck

Premium Member

The setting seems to be good for the new version of BitTorrent (Refer »btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html). If your are using SMC7004ABR V.2 then ensure that it is running the latest V1.01 firmare, as the shipping version of firmware had some problem with Virtual Server. You can download the latest firmare from SMC Website, the link is given below
»www.smc.com/drivers_down ··· v101.zip

abediz
Chicago, IL

abediz

what is the difference between special application and virtual server?

inmuck
Idiot In The East
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

inmuck

Premium Member

Virtual Server user to redirect Ports. This would be useful when you are Web Servers, FTP Server where you need to redirect Port (80, 21) to the respective Server computers behind the Router.
However Special Application is used when you need to open multiple port associated with an application (Online Games, etc). These application may have a primary outbound port. This information is put in the Trigger Port information, When this port is triggered by an application, then the associated public port is open hence allowing the application behind the Router.

abediz
Chicago, IL

abediz

so, based on that, shouldn't the bittorrent client use Special App rather than Virtual server?

if so, what is the trigger for Bittorrent?

inmuck
Idiot In The East
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

inmuck

Premium Member

Yes, If you are using BitTorrent 3.2 onwards, then the Trigger Port is 6969 (TCP) and the Public Ports are 6881-6999 (TCP)

Weebsurfer
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Weebsurfer

Anon

Just passing through and wanted to say that you guys are my heros. I did the special app thing, but what really seems to help is setting port 6969 in virtual server.

Thanks y'all.

inmuck
Idiot In The East
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

inmuck

Premium Member

Thanks for that update, but I wonder why It did not take the special Application as advertised on the Bittorrent Web page.

AtcHam
@51-201-24.mc.videotr

AtcHam to BabeBrown

Anon

to BabeBrown

Re: SMC7004ABR - Port Forwarding

Oh hello guys! I'm actually a student in computer science, but since I've been studying that for not even 6 months, my knowledge about that isn't complete at all (far from it..)
Oh well, the problem isn't there.. I have a friend using a SMC7004ABR Router, who's asked me to help him. I told him everything I could find... First I told him to download Port Magic, some program that was supposed to do the job, but it couldn't even be installed, asking for Administrative Name and Password he says he doesn't have... also I told him about Virtual Server, but he says he can't find where to find that Virtual Server thing. I personnally don't have the router so I can't really check by myself (which is mainly why I wanted to ask you guys here... since it seems you know all about this ^^) .. If you could just explain more precisely (in fact, EXACTLY) what to do, I think it would help him a lot, because he doesn't know anything about computers.
If you could do that for me, (and well for my friend too), I'd be infinitly thankful.

Peace,

AtcHam

andy123
@riv-mres.charterpipe

andy123 to BabeBrown

Anon

to BabeBrown

Re: SMC7004ABR - Port Forwarding for BitTorrent

hi im tryin to forward the ports
but it ask me for trigger start port and trigger end port
whats that
any help?
72245156 (banned)
TSWB.org
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

72245156 (banned)

Well, if all you need it 6969 as the trigger port, then that's your start port and end port.
FUSE1985
join:2004-01-09
Belgium

FUSE1985

Smc Barricade

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi all, it's great to have so many people online that know what they are doing concerning Networks. I have a SMC Barricade Router and am trying for a while to make bittorrent work with this router.
The problem isn't the program, it's just the download rate, normally with bittorrent and my capable DSL connection; I can have DL rates up to 400Kb/sec, and now I get to a max of 20kb/sec. You understand my prob now
I am also sure that I can get very high download rates with this prog because a friend of mine uses exactly the same prog but hasn't a router(so no restrictions like I have with the NAT firewall)
Here's what I figured out for now:
-Virtual Server : I opened up the ports 6881-6999 . These ports are required for the program. I also put in my local IP.
-Special AP : trigger>6969(needed for bittorrent)
incoming ports>6881-6999
>>>I enable all these options and save. But still I can't get the DL-rates I should have. Please help me out somebody who knows the solution, and perhaps also has a SMC router like I have.
Thanks for the help.
you can also email me on the following adress : himpe_steven@hotmail.com

NOTE: I use azureus(bittorrent java app). This is the same as bittorrent just a little more easier to use.
cccrimson
join:2003-12-24

cccrimson

Wondering if anyone found a solution to your problem, FUSE1985 cause I have the same problem

FishPants
The Art Of Pants
Premium Member
join:2001-11-19
Canada Eh?

FishPants to abediz

Premium Member

to abediz

Re: SMC7004ABR - Port Forwarding for BitTorrent

said by abediz:

And that is the single reason why when my ABR dies (or I get mad at it long enough) I will never buy SMC again. I can't believe they don't let you forward ranges AND limit you to 20 ports max.

anon y
@net4all.net

anon y to BabeBrown

Anon

to BabeBrown
have you tried downloading a new firmware?
i've got R1.96h2 on my smc7004br and it works with ranges under virtual server

FishPants
The Art Of Pants
Premium Member
join:2001-11-19
Canada Eh?

FishPants

Premium Member

said by anon y:
have you tried downloading a new firmware?
i've got R1.96h2 on my smc7004br and it works with ranges under virtual server

I have the latest firmware for my ABR (Hasn't been updated in well over a year); while their tech support promised this would be a future feature, they never provided it except for in the trigger port area which doesn't do much. Stupid design IMO... Wasn't the ABR the predecessor to the BR as well? You'd think that would carry over.

Joe DN
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Joe DN to BabeBrown

Anon

to BabeBrown
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to see if anybody knows what ports I would have to open with the xp home built in firewall to speed up bittorrent(using shareaza) and kazaa lite downloads. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks!
profvonnostr
join:2004-03-03
Florham Park, NJ

profvonnostr to inmuck

to inmuck
I set up the special app as indicated here onmy smc7004awbr (firmware v1.42.x) and I still am not getting any connectinos established by any peers. Is there something else that I need to do? I can't take it any more . . . . .
Thanks
Eron4225
join:2004-04-05
Scarborough, ON

Eron4225 to anon y

to anon y
Where di you find the 1.96h firmware, I call SMC Tech support and they say there is no more support for the 7004BR, I can only find 1.93s on their website and got a 1.94a somewhere from the internet.
gatsby4
join:2004-04-06

gatsby4 to BabeBrown

to BabeBrown
I've got an SMC Barricade 7004ABR. I don't know off-hand which version it is, but it's pissing me off.

I know how to create VPNs, etc, etc. I've worked mostly with Cisco equipment, but I'm trying to enable Windows XP Remote Desktop through this piece of junk.

I have changed the listening port on my PC to port 80 to allow remote desktop through my work firewall. I am port forward (through both virtual server and special applications) port 80 to port 80 on the PC. This works about once a month, and only for a short period of time. I don't know why.

Lastly, none of the firware upates work and it gets NTP time errors all the time.

Help!
mikeyceeuk
join:2004-05-05
England

1 edit

mikeyceeuk to 72245156

to 72245156
so how can i find out the trigger ports to open a games like say halo?
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to gatsby4

Premium Member

to gatsby4
said by gatsby4:
I have changed the listening port on my PC to port 80 to allow remote desktop through my work firewall. I am port forward (through both virtual server and special applications) port 80 to port 80 on the PC. This works about once a month, and only for a short period of time. I don't know why.
I don't know if I would blame the 7004ABR so quickly.

Many ISPs block port 80 and have been doing so for some time. Optimum Online is one of those, but using alternate ports usually works fine.

Also, RDP may very well use additional ports that need to be forwarded.

Are you using an http proxy at work to get through the firewall or does it pass http directly? I've seen proxies that break VNC, RDP, Terminal Services, and the like with no hope for success.
quote:
Lastly, none of the firware upates work and it gets NTP time errors all the time.
When you say none of the firmware updates work, exactly what doesn't work? Flashing? Running? What fails? What messages?

As for NTP - It works just fine for me and has for several years. What errors do you get?

darkzm
@bellsouth.net

darkzm to BabeBrown

Anon

to BabeBrown
I just got a question I forwarded two ports on my router, do i really need to forward all of them or is one enough?
thanx in advance
bahhumbug
join:2004-04-15

bahhumbug

You only need to forward as many ports as the number of simultaneous transfers you ever plan to have. So if you are only ever going to do 3 transfers simultaneously, you only need 3 ports forwarded.