spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

markp1

@213.121.x.x

http://192.168.254.254 failure on Speedstream 5200

I bought a Speedstream 5200 modem. I am having a problem with it though and was hoping someone could help me out. I have loaded the drivers for it, I can ping the modem but I cannot get into the »192.168.254.254 that is provided to insert your username and password. I called Efficient and explained the problem to them and they told me that the modem is bad. I ask for a firmware update, assuming that it would correct the problem and I was informed that there is not 1 available. Is there a work around for this problem? I have reset the modem and it will still not allow me to proceed to »192.168.254.254. Any help would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Are you connected to it via USB or Ethernet? Use Ethernet only.

Did you buy truly a Modem or the Router version?

The Modem version doesn't have a DHCP server so if you set your PC NIC to "Obtain IP Address Automatically" it will not get any info from the 5200 Modem since it's not a Router. You would end up with an 169.x.x.x IP address which means Windows cannot find a DHCP server or you would get a DHCP server not found error from Windows (depends on the version of Windows).

If it is the Router version then it will give your PC a Private IP 192.168.1.1 so that you can connect to and through it. You would need to either reboot after changing to DHCP mode to get an IP or use the command "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" minus the quotes.

It sounds like you bought a Bridge/Modem version and not a Router/Modem. You can search the Internet and this Forum for hints on locating various Firmwares that you would of course "assume all risk" if you were to try *any* of them.

»SS 5200 workarounds, fixes, and summary links.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

markp1

@213.189.x.x
I am not a computer wizard but I will try a firmware. The underside of it says it is a modem/usb/ethernet router. What you are saying if I find a firmware it will load everything on to it and should work then? I know there is a risk but I am willing to do it.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Before you destroy a possibly working Router (or overwrite newer firmware with older firmware), you should consult someone locally that knows how to manually give your PC an IP of 192.168.1.2 to verify that this unit is working or not. Depending on where this unit was purchased and what ISP specific Firmware is loaded, it may not have an IP of 192.168.254.254 and should also be looked at having an IP of 10.0.0.1

Regards,

Doctor Olds