Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

1 recommendation

TechyDad

Premium Member

Microsoft's Advice

said by From BetaNews.com:
In the meantime, before a fix is released and while industry pundits argue over proper disclosure, Microsoft advises its customers to follow its "Protect Your PC" guidance program by enabling a firewall, installing all available product updates and employing anti-virus software.
What type of advice is this? Granted, it's good to do all of those things, but that won't stop this particular bug. If a faked out site gets you to submit your personal information then none of those protective measures will stop the data from falling into a hacker's hands. If the faked out site gets you to download and run a program (by exploiting the trust and reputation of the site it's pretending to be), your firewall might alert you, but you would be just as likely to let it through. (After all, it came from a site you know and trust... or so you were tricked into thinking.)

The best advice is don't click on links in unrequested communications.

(Ok, that and perhaps don't use IE, but that's not an option for me. As a web developer, I have to use whichever browser my audience is using, and this means IE for me.)

LordMalak
join:2003-07-02
Brazil

1 recommendation

LordMalak

said by TechyDad:

The best advice is don't click on links in unrequested communications.

No, the best advice would be "Use another browser."
sir_voltron
join:2001-08-28
Santa Rosa, CA

sir_voltron

No, I would have to say--educate yourself and DON'T click on it