Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

Opera

Here's what Opera is saying:

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1

Re: Opera

Same thing here, in opera it reads the true address of "http://www.symantec.com@i.dslr.net/symantec/www.symantec.com/index.html"

And also gives the warning..
--
Best game ever > »www.desertcombat.com
SanJoseNerd
Premium
join:2002-07-24
San Jose, CA
That looks like the right way to handle it.

Even if the MSIE address bar gets corrected, the problem isn't really fixed. Many legitimate ecommerce sites show long strings of letters and symbols following the URL. So even if the @i.dslr.net... were displayed, many users would ignore it.

MSIE needs to issue a specific warning, like that Opera dialog box.
Reese1972

join:2003-03-08
Hazel Park, MI

I think the internet is getting too dangerous to use anymore. I certianly will not use IE anymore.

FLECOM
Bay Networks Freak
Premium
join:2003-03-03
Miami, FL

1 edit
actually yes and no, opera is confused, it thinks your trying to pass a user name and password to a site...

like if i put »ftp://user:password@ftp.omfg.com/ in opera it will give me the same warning

even if you click yes go to it it still shows up like it should in the address bar, not cloaked

another thing i like is that if you do type in for example

»ftp://user:password@ftp.omfg.com/ in opera it masks the password...

kinda nice... ie just leaves it there... not that browsers are the best ftp clients but meh :\

--
BellSouth sucks

LordMalak

join:2003-07-02
Brazil
said by SanJoseNerd:

Yeah, Europeans seem to have a whole lot more common sense than Yanks these days...
--
SBC DSL Tech Support.

mod bait
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Rochester, NY

said by LordMalak:
said by SanJoseNerd:
Yeah, Europeans seem to have a whole lot more common sense than Yanks these days...

And what--you feel free to say that because you're a "Yank"? That was a pretty lame comment.

I think the problem is that Microsoft (A) doesn't care about security (duh), and (B) they have to cater to millions of nitwits around the world; people who can't handle even a simple dialog like the one shown above for Opera. If you disagree, you haven't seen the depths of stupidity among the populace that I have...