This is a sub-selection from First!
NoFatChicks
No, I'M The Exon And You're The Intron
join:2002-06-15
Blountsville, AL

NoFatChicks to Talis

to Talis

Re: First!

Adding complex schemes like this does nothing to get at the root of the problem. This is like putting locks on your door, but then not having laws or a police force (or not much of one) to stop the criminals outside. Guess what happens in a situation like I just described? That’s right, the criminals find a way to force themselves in.

The root of advertising spam, for the most part, is the desire to make money and thus the ONLY thing that will stop it is to make it INCREASE the risk and DECREASE the benefit of the activity. The purveyors MUST be pursued and prosecuted, the government MUST provide a framework for reporting spammers, the companies that use unsolicited emails MUST be fined, the ISP’s MUST go after those sending spam, and foreign countries (i.e. South Korea, China, ect…) MUST go after spammers in their regions.

Do you see my point? Until the root of the problem is seriously addressed (and not just some ‘show cases’ like in Virginia recently), then what is the point of adding extra locks?
jconnell
join:2002-06-04
Newark, DE

jconnell

Never going happen. So the problem needs to be approached a different way. What will work? No one knows. But you will never get foreign goverments to police their ISPs (which is where most spam comes from) in anything close to that fashion.
rjparker9
Premium Member
join:2003-08-04
Lutz, FL

rjparker9 to NoFatChicks

Premium Member

to NoFatChicks
Fat chicks has a point. Some other good points also exist in this forum. And yes, as 1 user put this is the most informative news group to date ( you are not missing anything, why do you think its so hard to get people to post.. no one ever posts anything interesting.. so many BBs die). Anyway, one other person pointed out, doing things the old fashioned way, does prevent spammers. For one thing, you have to pay bulk mail rates (.15 cents or something) but it ads up. Spammers can make money because its free to send an email. A million or just 1, doesn't cost them a dime. So putting locks on the doors isn't merely a protection, but neighbor hood watch goes a long way As long as EVERYONE participates. That's the key. big businesses have to push this through, smaller companies do indeed have a say with open source.. but that's a community of people all trying to achieve the same goal. How hard would it be to bring Linux users to use a unix version of Outlook... Yeah, that would go over like a fart in church. So we all use email, but trying to get all the isps to agree on a central email..hahaha.. I can't stop laughing. 2 things need to happend to stop spammers, make it unprofitable.. not by boycotting their products (there are too many stupid people out there.. even people that know.. not to open certain links still do it.. because something looks "tempting". That's how spammers are continually successful.). Make them pay for email.. like long distance service.. you go over a certain number you pay per minute or per email in this case. And 2, many people won't understand this, but yes, we need to blockade ISP's worldwide that don't do something about spammers. ISP are afraid of telling their people to cease and desist.. or else, that's instant closure of accounts, but if the ISP's unify, with the backing of the people like this forum that are tired of spam, the extra 10 bucks or whatever a month to get a license to return our email back to normalcy, I am for it. i would be willing to give my ISP an extra 20 bucks a month myself.. for premium mail.. guranteed no spam.. not filtered, only unsolicited email. if people send a link in a page.. they would have to get prior approval from that user.. to send from that point forward. If the mail is returned to unsubscribe, the ISP is made aware of the cancellation, and if another email comes back, that Spammers is fined, or they are banned from sending emails.. to any other ISP supported email service for a week or a day. If I send an email at work, and its innappropriate, i get called into the office by my boss, and he spanks my pee pee. The next time we have this conversation, it will be on the way out the door for good. That's a controlled environment. Spammers need to be treated the same way. Sternly and swiftly. But we can only do it, if we get the help of the ISp's and people to stop encouraging these people. i like the advertisements to some degree.. but only when its not in my face. I am sure we all surf pages.. Those "popup" bulletin boards.. are annoying, but they are the sponsors for that page.. so i don't mind them.. until they start coming to my inbox at 50-100 a day.. now you are pissing me off. I didn't ask for it.. and i appreciate it if you would just stop. Snail mail is federal controlled.. its mail fraud to send things to someone they said to stop. Or you go to prison. Email.. should have some similar circumstance, but fine the spammer, and spread the proceeds among those affected.. spam would be zero in a week, if they had their money in an escrow account like pay pal.. and pay pay could freeze their assets upon a grievance, and divy up the profits among those people they violated. Anyway, all of you have some really great ideas, but I just believe this won't go anywhere, until ISP and People get together.. to stop this madness. I cringe to open my email.. at one point it was fun to open email.. jokes, cartoons, now.. I avoid it for weeks sometimes, because i am so sick of filtering over and over and over and over.. I want my fun back, and I know you do too.
oh my gosh...reporters as bad »
This is a sub-selection from First!