Search similar:

uniqs

FOIP
@evrocom.net

FOIP

Anon

HELP with VOIP faxing?

Hello,

I would like to ask is it possible to send faxes via the VOIP networks like Vonage, VoiceGlo and Packet8 ??

My idea is the following for approx $50 per month all of them provide UNLIMITED calls to US. Can I use that to send faxes and that way have 20-30 lines running non stop and not paying 6 cents per fax bur only $50 per month per line??

Anybody doing this?

Thanks in advance?

Steve
SevenDegrees
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Miami Beach, FL

SevenDegrees

Premium Member

can only answer for Vonage. but yeah you can send/receive fax or voice calls within the parameters of whatever plan you choose with Vonage. But they, like other VoIP do have a glass ceiling (what that is not known), but if they determine your usage of a residential account is bizness they will either terminate or upgrade your acct and charge you accordingly. If you want "unlimited" without a ceiling with Vonage, they have a biz acct and one other one I think for direct marketing type. Otherwise if your usage of faxing is "normal" etc you should be fine. The only major limit of VoIP faxing is you are limited to 9600 baud. You have 30 fax lines??! Well you can certainly do VoIP, that would require 30 ATAs and a good hunk of bandwidth.

FOIP
@evrocom.net

FOIP

Anon

HI,

Thanks a lot for the response, I have no problem paying for the business account/s. Do you have any idea how much time it will take to send 1 page at 9600 baud? And also how much bandwith 1 page of fax will take?

Finding the answers to these questions will be great.

Steve
jgwilliams
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Chesterland, OH

jgwilliams

Premium Member

Faxing over VoIP is not reliable, you will find yourself resending a good percentage of your faxes. Additionally fax documents are sent by way of g711, so each line would take about 100k.

You need to look for a fax blast service if you have one fax going to many people, you can find an IP based one I am sure, and it should be pretty cheap.

Just do a search for VoIP Fax blast

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

On my vonage line, it normally takes 6 or 7 tries to get the fax through, if it goes at all, and that is just for a 2 page. But my AT&T beta line sends every time.
Automate
join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

Automate

said by Camelot One:
On my vonage line, it normally takes 6 or 7 tries to get the fax through, if it goes at all, and that is just for a 2 page. But my AT&T beta line sends every time.
Do you know what fax speed you can get on your AT&T line?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

No idea. Using a Brother stand alone fax machine.
SevenDegrees
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11
Miami Beach, FL

SevenDegrees to FOIP

Premium Member

to FOIP

Re: [XP] Remote Assist to Win98?

Well, I can tell you that we use Vonage, and we very very rarely have a fax failure with sending or receiving, maybe once a couple of months. In the beginning yes, but we didn't have our fax software set up correctly. We use Symantec WinFax Pro, not a standalone fax machine. Fax speeds are fax speeds no different than stand-alone machines - its the baud rate 9600 - which is what the vast majority of fax machines out there handle. The newer fax machines get up to 14.4 and some even do 33.... but that's about it. We not see any depreciable speed loss. We are connected via DSL. How well will your VOIP fax be? totally depends on your service, location and a of course the internet at the time you are sending/receiving.
jsb825
Premium Member
join:2003-10-08
Exeter, NH

jsb825

Premium Member

As per the TOS at vonage, you are not allowed to fax blast. You can use it for normal fax use, but not to broadcast any advertisement (spam like) materials.

That is even said for the additional fax line. You can only fax as normal, not broadcast fax.
joshj1
join:2001-10-30
Antelope, CA

joshj1 to FOIP

to FOIP

Re: HELP with VOIP faxing?

You could have 15 ATAs each with two lines on the telemarketing plan ($149/mo, I think). Problem is that you would need a considerable amount of upstream bandwidth (90 kbps x 30 lines = 2700 kbps) to use each simultaneously.

If you really want to do fax blasting I think commercial services would be a much better deal. Search google for fax broadcasting and you'll have plenty of choices.
kt62
join:2003-12-17
Houston, TX

kt62 to Camelot One

to Camelot One
I'd been having major issues with fax reliability on Vonage. It's taken 10 days to fix, but with input from tech support found a cheap easy solution, that seems to work. We put a DSL filter netween the Fax and the MTA box - presto works like a dream.

Sniggs
Iggy is my Hero
Premium Member
join:2002-09-27
Tonasket, WA

Sniggs to jgwilliams

Premium Member

to jgwilliams
said by jgwilliams:
Faxing over VoIP is not reliable, you will find yourself resending a good percentage of your faxes. Additionally fax documents are sent by way of g711, so each line would take about 100k...

This is not entirely true - we fax daily over VOIP on our Quintum H.323 network and have NEVER had to resend. If your statement is related to Faxing via Vonage, P8, Voicepulse (or anyone else I may have missed), please qualify your statement.
ieee1394
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Corte Madera, CA

ieee1394 to FOIP

Premium Member

to FOIP
If both fax machines support ECM, then you will likely see your success rate increase. I have only experienced problems sending faxes to a non-ECM machine. But then again, I'm not a huge faxer. This is on Vonage BTW.