Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

Any Avenel, NJ engineers here--getting desperate?!

Are there anyone here who works in the Avenel headend? If so, you folks really need to fix your Cadents. Pls help!

Before you folks changed us over to the Cadants (on UBRs):

After you moved us to the Cadants:

I have Pro, so I should be seeing 4mbit speeds like I was on the UBRs.
--
Dean For America

UPDATED: Watch Comcast Executives Get Grilled: »home.comcast.net/~mbernste/catv_ ··· ing.html

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
Bump

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
M-
After speaking with my inside contact yesterday, they could not find anything wrong in Montgomery County (PA) either, here on Lansdale 2.

A little disappointing since i'm paying for the extra speed, and now we lose it b/c we switched to a NEW, BETTER router.

So engineers, this is happening NOT just in NJ.

--
"The rules of applying cologne: Spray, Delay, and walk away!"

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by JeepMatt:

A little disappointing since i'm paying for the extra speed, and now we lose it b/c we switched to a NEW, BETTER router.

Frustrating isn't it? No one wants to take responsibility for this problem. Maybe I need to log a complaint with my cable commission...
--
Dean For America

UPDATED: Watch Comcast Executives Get Grilled: »home.comcast.net/~mbernste/catv_ ··· ing.html

Tom514
Premium
join:2002-01-15
Verona, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to mbernste
It is frustrating considering its probably one tiny setting that needs to be changed that would take 5 minutes to fix.

Although some might feel we are complaining about something minor, it basically wipes out the Pro advantage and has us running at silver-like speeds.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Well Tom,
Looks like me, you and M are stuck with this.

If the supervisor of Maintenance can't find anything wrong, I don't even know who to ask.

Good luck.
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by JeepMatt:
If the supervisor of Maintenance can't find anything wrong, I don't even know who to ask.

Quite frankly, I don't care what they say. There is something wrong and the evidence in the screen shots above prove it. I did receive confirmation that my modem is set to 43000000/384000, so I know it isn't the modem.
--
Dean For America

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to JeepMatt
Click for full size
Another test done at 12:57 PM on 12/17/03
I saw there was some (now completed) work done today in Avenel. I did the following:
1. Changed my cloned MAC address back to the original address, which gave me my original IP back.
2. Did a tracert to make sure the original issues did not come back.
3. Rebooted my modem (kept it cut from power for a good 15 seconds).
4. Downloaded the OOL 64MB file with NetPersec running. I waited until 40% downloaded and I took the screen shot above. While it looks like I still have traffic shaping, I still have the same 3.7 mbit speeds.
--
Dean For America

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:
M-
After speaking with my inside contact yesterday, they could not find anything wrong in Montgomery County (PA) either, here on Lansdale 2.

There are currently a few issues in PA unrelated to Cadent's etc which is why alot of areas aren't seeing their full download speeds and are actually scoring very low on speed tests.
--
Forum Posts:3504

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by Qumahlin:
There are currently a few issues in PA unrelated to Cadent's etc which is why alot of areas aren't seeing their full download speeds and are actually scoring very low on speed tests.

What about the issues here in NJ? Besides the speed decrease, my scores using Dr. Ping are downright horrid!
--
Dean For America

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Well M-
Thought maybe the fix to PA West overnight might help (not sure why i'd think that), but all is the same this morning.

I'm about out of options on my end - I have no clue as to where else to go - but i've never been so far under the cap in my area (getting 3600 instead of 4300) and it's frustrating - especially when the new 3000 areas are seeing 3300. I've also realized my area is not on the new core/ring routing yet while most of PA Metro has moved over (ya know, the pa.pa2.comcast.net - OR - nj.nj02.comcast.net) - who knows. It's the first time in years i've been frustrated.

Okay - no wise cracks anyone!!
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by JeepMatt:
I've also realized my area is not on the new core/ring routing yet while most of PA Metro has moved over (ya know, the pa.pa2.comcast.net - OR - nj.nj02.comcast.net
I've been on the new routing for weeks. The routing has nothing to do with it, the Cadants do. I was on the new ring/routing while still on the UBRs and I was seeing 4.3mbit down. Now I am lucky to see 3.5mbit and 256k up. Why is it that Comcast refuses to acknowledge that there is something inherently wrong with the Cadants? Could it be because they spent millions of dollars on these new CMTSes and don't want to admit that they bought a flawed product? Hmm...
--
Dean For America

Big_D
Premium
join:2003-06-02
Augusta, GA
said by mbernste:
Why is it that Comcast refuses to acknowledge that there is something inherently wrong with the Cadants? Could it be because they spent millions of dollars on these new CMTSes and don't want to admit that they bought a flawed product? Hmm...
I doubt there is anything wrong with the cadants...probably just operator error.
--
You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by Big_D:
I doubt there is anything wrong with the cadants...probably just operator error.

Then there's a whole heck of a lot of operators making errors then. Almost everywhere where the Cadants have been deployed, Pro users have seen their speeds chopped by almost ½ a megabit. If the Cadants are not at fault then it is those who are either training (Arris?) or those being trained (Comcast or Cats Design Inc.) who are at fault.
--
Dean For America

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Big_D
Click for full size
TJ 615 Signal Level--Woodbridge Township, NJ
Oh yeah, one other thing. I know it isn't my signal levels because they haven't fluctuated to any degree since we were moved off of the UBRs a week ago. Above is a screen shot of my signal levels as of 9:42 AM 12/18/03 where it is 33° outside.
--
Dean For America

Big_D
Premium
Augusta, GA
Well, just stating the obvious, it looks to me they simply keyed the old pro value into the CMTS for the Traffic Shaping threshold (The technical term escapes me at the moment).
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
I'm thinking the same thing, but it seems like they are doing this on a multi-state level.

Comcast Pro users across the United States of America beware! When you get the Cadants your speeds will drop.
--
Dean For America

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Big_D
BigD-
Thanks for that information - i've passed on that possibility to my internal contact.

Ironically, I didn't have TS BEFORE the switch the Cadent and now I do - so we might be stumbling onto something here.
--

Tom514
Premium
Verona, NJ
reply to mbernste
This is definitely a valid theory. When this first happened, I was unaware of the Cadent issue but felt that traffic shaping was set to a maximum speed of 3500. The downloads are very smooth and stable but appear capped at the CMTS.

I would venture to guess that if anyone was crazy enough to uncap their modem and were connected to Cadent routers, they would achieve the exact download speeds we are currently getting.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
reply to mbernste
Tom,
My contact replied to me and they are looking into this matter as we speak - hopefully we've found a culprit?!??!
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by JeepMatt:
Tom,
My contact replied to me and they are looking into this matter as we speak - hopefully we've found a culprit?!??!

If that is the case, then they are using the same configuration file for all the Cadants. This will either be good for everyone or no one. Hopefully if those in charge make the discovery, they will notify everyone else, but given the insular nature of Comcast, I'm not too hopeful.
--
Dean For America

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to mbernste
For anyone in Woodbridge, NJ or Dresher, PA, the good news is that:
1. Comcast admits to a problem
2. The problem has been identified
3. A fix to the problem should be coming within several days.
4. The problem does not seem to exist in Maryland.
--
Dean For America

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Great work M-

I've passed on this information to my Montgomery County (PA) contact as well - hopefully we'll have our speeds back soon!
--

Big_D
Premium
Augusta, GA
reply to mbernste
said by mbernste:
2. The problem has been identified

So I was right? Where do I send the bill for my consultation fees
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by Big_D:
So I was right? Where do I send the bill for my consultation fees

I've been saying all along that there is a problem. No one told me of yet what the problem actually is, just that they found one and are testing a fix.
--
Dean For America

Tom514
Premium
Verona, NJ
mbernste and JeepMatt,

Thanks for your persistence in going after Comcast to fix this problem. I hope we all see the results very soon.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
said by Tom514:
mbernste and JeepMatt,

Thanks for your persistence in going after Comcast to fix this problem. I hope we all see the results very soon.

As soon as I see or hear anything I'll post it.
--
Dean For America

anonymoususer

@209.234.x.x
Try it now.

Tom514
Premium
Verona, NJ
reply to mbernste
It's fixed in Verona!!! Hope you see the same thing in Woodbridge NJ and Dresher PA.

Thanks!!!

2003-12-19 13:30:13 EST: 4174 / 351
Your download speed : 4174957 bps, or 4174 kbps.
A 509.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 351308 bps, or 351 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Anonymous!
Wow - i'll have to check when I get home after 5!

Ugh- hopefully they did this to my neighborhood too!
--