Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NetBoot
I Don't Suffer From Insanity, I Enjoy It

join:2003-04-21
Hazleton, PA

ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series DSL Modems

Are all the 600 Series, routers or are some of them bridges?

- Prestige 645R-A1 ADSL Router over POTS
- Prestige 645M-A1 ADSL Modem over POTS
- Prestige 6245ME-A1 ADSL PPPoE Modem over POTS

I'm looking for the router type, but I'm confused because it looks like GUI are all the same. I want to avoid using any PPPoE Client software on the pc's and all these units don't require PPPoE software clients. So, in saying that, what the difference between ZyXEL version of Router and Modem "bridge?" if they have the same features as far as I can tell.

Just want to know if anyone has the modem version. I'm guess I would need to add another router for Port forwarding.

Thanks for any insight.

Still learning DSL technologies...
--
They're not bugs in the program, they're just undocumented features...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
How much of a router do you need? Routing functions in modems are, in general, rather limited.

BTW, the P645M-xx is basically a Modem bridge-only (not to be confused with P645-UHP models - UHP modems all run NAT I think). The "R" models are Routers.

Be careful as there's lots of ISP-customized versions out there.

Rizal7
Best Cheater Wins

join:2001-02-21
Norway
reply to NetBoot
Rule of thumb is modem = bridge and R versions are routers.
Some of the modems, to support PPPoE/PPPoA without installing any software on your PC, means that it basically does 1-1 NAT.

But as Bill mentioned, ZyXEL makes alot of custom versions for different ISP's.

Rizal
--
When you have everything,you have everything to lose.

NetBoot
I Don't Suffer From Insanity, I Enjoy It

join:2003-04-21
Hazleton, PA

2 edits
Well, my brother is on Epix and they sent him this crappy Efficient 5667 SecureRoute unit. Looking at the firmware it appears that it's not a custom firmware release. I can't tell yeah if the ISP downloads anything to it though. Plus, Epix piece of crap PPPoE software client breaks some Network appz. So, I want to ditch the PPPoE client software and at the same time get a half decent router for him. I just don't like these Efficient Modem/Router at all and neither does my brother.

What's the differenct between the 652 and the 652H?
--
They're not bugs in the program, they're just undocumented features...

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Any recent router should do the PPPoE for you. I used an RT314 (P314)with a 645M, and aside from its small NAT table I was very satisfied with it. You can also use RASPPPoE as your SW.