uniqs

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Templar

Premium Member

to Templar

Re: Very happy with Asterisk and iConnectHere (ICH)

said by Templar:
said by joako:
With regards to connecting Asterisk to the PSTN, you can use a $10 winmodem (what an X100P card really is) but I have had many problems with echo, I am told this might be due to cheap DSL filters.

Kindly expand on your comment. How is a X100P like a "winmodem" - whatever that is?

»www.digium.com/index.php ··· rd_x100p

They change the PCI vendor ID via a resistor, simply modify one byte of the source code and it will detect it as the X100P
Templar
Premium Member
join:2003-12-11
San Jose, CA

Templar

Premium Member

said by joako:
They change the PCI vendor ID via a resistor, simply modify one byte of the source code and it will detect it as the X100P

and later:
said by joako:
This is required because the PCI vendor ID is different in the Digium card. But the cards are otherwise identical.

Looking at your modified source code, the change from 0x8085 to 0x8086 appears to be the one byte you referred to earlier. The resistor change was apparently used to produce the revised "pseudo-vendor" code in the much more expensive Digium card. This was an obvious move to make sure the cheaper card would not be recognized and, therefore, unusable. Hardly a way for a company to gain support and customer loyalty.

underattack
Join Dshield.Org
join:2003-06-23

underattack

Re: Very happy with Asterisk and iConnectHere (ICH

Hardly a way for a company to gain support and customer loyalty.

I disagree. The cards sold by Digium are sold with a given level in support. You buy more then just a board and some electronics soldered to it. A change in the PCI ID is appropriate to later identify Digium cards if there should be a support issue. Otherwise, you buy 1 Digium card, and 10 'no names'. As a no name card fails, you just send it back to Digium.
Templar
Premium Member
join:2003-12-11
San Jose, CA

Templar

Premium Member

Your thoughts are interesting, but unconvincing. The main issue here is: are the facts correct as they have been presented, i.e., Digium is selling a very inexpensive card with a questionable modification which only gives added value to the modifier (Digium) and not the end user.

The financial support of Digium to continue to develop * is, in my mine, another matter altogether. Many software companies today started as "shareware" producers. Remember them - they "gave away" programs and we paid them what we felt the program was worth if, and only if, we wanted to.

I said earlier in this thread that:
quote:

However, if I were to buy an Wildcard X100 for the price Digium is asking and then later learn that I was actually shipped a cheap PCI modem of which I already have several, I would be totally turned off. If this is the case, I would strongly suggest that someone send me a private email thru this forum (possibly from Digium) and clarify this matter or risk losing someone who may well become a strong supporter downstream.
My feelings have not changed since then. If you wish to win me over demonstrate that what has been alleged is not true. Otherwise, save the "drum beating" for another time.
Templar

Templar to underattack

Premium Member

to underattack
said by underattack:
A change in the PCI ID is appropriate to later identify Digium cards if there should be a support issue.
My experience is that companies want the serial number, and in many cases, proof of purchase in the case of "a support issue", rather, than making modifications to the equipment.

Also, many companies are charging separately for support rather that "hiding" it in excessive cost markups which you seem to be implying is most of the value of the Digium card.