spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ASNKgenius
join:2003-12-31
Los Angeles, CA

ASNKgenius

switching from SBC Yahoo DSL to SE help

If im switching from SBC Yahoo DSL (im near the end of my 1 year contract) to Speakeasy DSL (recently registered), do I need to inform SBC Yahoo DSL about the isp change. I called yesterday and told them to terminate my dsl account at the end of the 1 yr term, but I forgot to mention about the ISP switch.
OllieN
join:2000-09-03
Gilbert, AZ

OllieN

Speakeasy can't begin the switching process until your current DSL provider is gone. In other words, they can't begin to provision your lines without dumping your current ISP FIRST. As far as letting SBC know what you are up to, I don't think it matters. All they'll do is refer you to the SBC Account Retention person. These are the people who will badger you about why you are going with some other provider. They usually ask you questions like...What can we do to make you stay with us, etc. I hope this made sense.

Ollie
ASNKgenius
join:2003-12-31
Los Angeles, CA

ASNKgenius

thanks because thats the reason I dont want to tell SBC i'm switching. I dont want to have them badgering me up. I dont want to wait all the time for them to get me a service rep. a friend of mines recommended speakeasy so i figure i give it a try. t

borborpa
Slipping Slowly Into Oblivion
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20
New Cumberland, PA

borborpa to OllieN

Premium Member

to OllieN
said by OllieN:
Speakeasy can't begin the switching process until your current DSL provider is gone. In other words, they can't begin to provision your lines without dumping your current ISP FIRST.
That is not entirely correct. SE can do ISP switches with some companies. Call them on the phone and see if they can with SBC in your area. It will make the install process a lot smoother if they do the switch versus cancelling and installing it new.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

I would think Speakeasy has their own DSLAM's to connect their customers to. In this case, an ISP switch won't work. It's not like SE is just reselling SBC equipment and lines. They are actually selling their own equipment.

For ASNKgenius, you can expect this process to take around 10 days. Even when you cancel, you will have a 72 hour wait for SBC to put your physical lines back into their inventory. Once there, SE can "lease" that pair from SBC and connect it to their DSLAM and offer you their DSL service.

Hope that helps!

borborpa
Premium Member
New Cumberland, PA

borborpa

Premium Member

SE does not own their own DSLAM's. They resell Covad DSLAM's (and others in some areas).

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Ah, ok...well the point is valid. The process is still the same since Covad doesn't use SBC DSLAM's.

borborpa
Premium Member
New Cumberland, PA

borborpa

Premium Member

But as I said, SE is beginning to utilize SBC in some areas as well, which is why they should call SE and check first, so as to make the process 100x easier.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
The Lou

1 edit

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Ah, I see what you are saying. Good call. I would think that an ISP switch would only mean just that, just switching the ISP.

I didn't think SBC sold the DSLAM profiles that SE offered.

borborpa
Premium Member
New Cumberland, PA

borborpa

Premium Member

Yeah, it's newer...may still be being tested. I know they are also gaining access to SBC RT's in some test areas, so we can only hope for that. It would be a nice boost to the customer base for SE!