uniqs

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Sarah to fatness

to fatness

Re: Larger Avatars

The size difference is about one line of normal sized text. I don't see where great sacrifices need to be made, or huge revisions in the way the forums will look.

I'm not sure that jumping to the conclusion that all of the new customizations need to be thrown away to fit that in is really warranted. That would never have even occurred to me.

Perhaps instead of squeezing everyone down to 40x40, we could keep roughly the same area as we had and still make it square by going to 45x45. Or perhaps 50x50 can be allowed, and a new customization option added to squeeze them to 40x40 if the user prefers to see them small.

It seems obvious to me that a lot of users are unhappy with the new avatar size... I have received a lot of negative feedback about it via IM and people are posting a lot in the forums (not to mention all the new avatars). Just trying to work in the system to bring about change...

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

said by Sarah:
It seems obvious to me that a lot of users are unhappy with the new avatar size...
A lot of people were unhappy previous to that with different information being unavailable/too small in the "box" to the left of the message area. Perhaps you missed all those threads since they did not involve avatars.
said by examples of Feature Requests over last several months:
I don't want to see Posting tags.
I like Posting tags.
I want to see Joined Dates.
I don't want to see Joined Dates.
How do I know what level people are on?
Why can't this text be smaller?
Why can't this text be larger?Why can't this text move here?
So my question remains: if avatars are made 50 pixels wide, which of those now-user-customizable views will be lost? Or will it cut into the message area? The images above show views that would be affected by increased avatar width.

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

said by fatness:
So my question remains: if avatars are made 50 pixels wide, which of those now-user-customizable views will be lost?

Just some of my observations.

Since the "stars" were done away with that added space, so would losing the "%c Clubs, %L Level and %p Posts" be such a big loss?

•Since the posts aren't real time updated and they were removed once before I wouldn't mind if they were gone.

•The "Level" seems totally useless to me, unless someone is in this just for posting for "Level".

•As for the "Clubs" icon, we'll the stars are gone but they were left to keep the club icon. They do enjoy the benifit of the "Join Club" in the left menu.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to fatness

to fatness
said by fatness:
So my question remains: if avatars are made 50 pixels wide, which of those now-user-customizable views will be lost? Or will it cut into the message area? The images above show views that would be affected by increased avatar width.
Ditto what The skrote said. A line or two will wrap if the user has their settings a certain way. I really don't see how a huge impact will be made.

I am going to bow out and let the users explain things from here on out. I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a problem here that I don't understand.