BOOM

Hypn0tyze

Lexmark

Click for full size
Click for full size
EASTMAN KODAK DX4530 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
16mm 1/45th F3.8

I bought a Lexmark X6150 recently (huge like a beast), here it is:

Anyway, the all-in-one is GREAT with tons of useful features. Print quality is excellent, and the flatbed scanner is a treat....well maybe not.

When scanning black-and-white text, its a charm. Photos on the other hand are a different case, along with any other colored things.

Exhibit A:

the attached picture is the result of a scan, just done. Note that the colors are not rich at ALL, and the picture appears to have a yellowish tone. Picture 2 is a picture taken from my digital camera of the actual picture to give you an idea of the original.

MY question: Is there anything I can do scan-software or hardware wise to correct the lack of richness of colors when I scan? If not, what post processing would you recommend I do in photoshop to get these to look like their originals?

Thanks!

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

1 recommendation

Rygel

Premium Member

The Lexmark X73 was my first and last Lexmark.

I'll never buy a Lexmark product again.

Anything that could go wrong did.

Hypn0tyze
Adam
join:2001-05-13
BOOM

1 edit

Hypn0tyze

It's a bit illogical to take a possible faulty unit, or crappy model by a company and use it to suggest their overall quality. I am actually surprised at the great drivers and ease of use with the unit, scanning is the only problem I am having, and it's not even hooking the thing up! Back on topic now

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel

Premium Member

Well, mine and my mother's performed the exact same way. Poorly.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Hypn0tyze

Premium Member

to Hypn0tyze
let me say this first hand... Lexmark is CRAP!!

I work at Best Buy and we have Laser printers in each department.. They just can't take the load we put on them..

We have to print plano's and other stuff on it and not too long ago their is a Rubber peice in it that grabs the paper, Well guess what happen to that... The Rubber peice Cracked and split so it would jam under the Rubber wheel so we had to call ibm replace ment which them fixed it about a week later.

The Printer is the T023 or something with the T first.

Hypn0tyze
Adam
BOOM

Hypn0tyze

anyone gonna actually help me out? if not with the scanner itself, then tips on post processing.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Hypn0tyze

Premium Member

to Hypn0tyze
How many inks does it use?

Hypn0tyze
Adam
BOOM

Hypn0tyze

two

how can i restore the richness of the original pictures after i scan them?

HRM
God Bless America
MVM
join:2002-02-03
Darien, CT

HRM to Hypn0tyze

MVM

to Hypn0tyze
I don't have any experience with your printer/scanner, but there may be color adjustments that can be appied in the software somehow. See if any color management profiles are available or by default. If so change them as see if that helps.
HRM

HRM to Hypn0tyze

MVM

to Hypn0tyze
after scanning, photoshop or another program (like gimp, which is free) can do most anything, but not just with the push of a button...you would need to play around with it.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Hypn0tyze

Numquam oblitus

to Hypn0tyze
Check your scanner settings... it looks like the contrast, for one thing, is set way too high...

Hypn0tyze
Adam
BOOM

Hypn0tyze

All I can really set on the scanner is the DPI, and the brightness and sharpness in the software.

SandShark5
Long may you run
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX

1 edit

SandShark5

Premium Member

I went to Lexmark's site and went through the user's manual. There really wasn't much there that I could see that allows you to do anything to manipulate the image either prior to scanning (preview mode) or afterwards. From what you just posted, that appears to be the case.

As HRM See Profile has suggested, your best bet is going to be using something like PhotoShop, Gimp, Paintshop Pro, Lexmark's software, or some other program to fix things afterwards.

There are many useful tips and tricks in this forum that others have posted with regards to enhancing images using these types of programs.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to Hypn0tyze

Numquam oblitus

to Hypn0tyze
It seems there's a way to access additional settings, including original type:
said by manual:
For scanning:
1 From your desktop, double-click the LexmarkX6100 Series All-In-One Center icon. The All-In-One Main Page appears.

2 Click See More Scan Settings.

3 From the What is being scanned? menu, select Magazine/ Newspaper.

4 Click Scan Now.
If you can choose one type of original, you can probably choose others.

Hypn0tyze
Adam
BOOM

Hypn0tyze

said by tmpchaos:
It seems there's a way to access additional settings, including original type:
said by manual:
For scanning:
1 From your desktop, double-click the LexmarkX6100 Series All-In-One Center icon. The All-In-One Main Page appears.

2 Click See More Scan Settings.

3 From the What is being scanned? menu, select Magazine/ Newspaper.

4 Click Scan Now.
If you can choose one type of original, you can probably choose others.

That is to select photo, text, magazine, etc, and I always choose photo anyway if that is what you mean.

rog2
Premium Member
join:2002-07-03
BC

rog2

Premium Member

said by Hypn0tyze:

That is to select photo, text, magazine, etc, and I always choose photo anyway if that is what you mean.

If you can't get what you want out of those settings then you have no other choice but to use an image editor, What came with the camera or the Lexmark?

Hypn0tyze
Adam
BOOM

Hypn0tyze

said by Hypn0tyze:
If not, what post processing would you recommend I do in photoshop to get these to look like their originals?

Thanks!

I have adobe photoshop and then their stupid editor, but I use photoshop all the time.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

In that case, try scanning darker, so that you don't lose highlight detail, then run it through PS to adjust the image.