spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MikegotOOL
join:2001-01-21
East Setauket, NY

MikegotOOL

Amd 754 or 939?

Is AMD keeping the 754 pin setup? Ive heard that they are going to ditch it and go 939 w/ registered DDR?

BA
MVM
join:2001-05-24
Vancouver, BC

BA

MVM

They're supporting both platforms although they intend to migrate the Athlon 64 to 939. There should be at least a 754 pin 3700+. The roadmaps show that Athlon XP will eventually adopt Socket 754.

Unlike 940 or 754 (single-channel), 939 processors will be a "true" dual-channel design. It also lifts the 940 limitation of 2 unbuffered modules. It should have a separate address bus for each channel and therefore will probably be able to drive 6 DDR333 or 4 DDR400 modules without buffering instead of the current 3 modules for 754.
abuelsamid
join:2002-01-02
Ypsilanti, MI

abuelsamid to MikegotOOL

to MikegotOOL
said by MikegotOOL:
Is AMD keeping the 754 pin setup? Ive heard that they are going to ditch it and go 939 w/ registered DDR?

They will be keeping the socket 754 at least through this year and likely longer. There will also be a new socket 939. The single channel Athlon64 will be available in both 754 and 939 pin versions for at least this year. Eventually there is also expected to be a new 32bit Athlon xp based on the hammer core that will also use socket 754.

As for 939, it is being created specifically to eliminate the need for registered ram, and to allow for less expensive boards for the dual channel FX parts. Currently, the 940 pin sockets require a 6 layer circuit board. The 939 will only require a 4 layer board like all other mainstream processors. With the arrival of socket 939 FX chips will not longer need registered ram. Socket 940 will also be maintained mainly for the opteron.

Maranello
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA

Maranello to MikegotOOL

MVM

to MikegotOOL
They have changed their road map so many times its ridiculous. So this weeks road map shows the A64, 512 and 1m cache along with the FX all using the 939 pin... altho they are still planning on making 940 pin FX chips with the registered memory removed.

For the 754 pin the 3700+ (2.4GHz) will be the last 64bit CPU before the 754 is switched to the duron low end sector. They will have 256 cache and 512 cache 32bit 754 pin CPU's supported on that platform... some with 64 bit instructions some without.

But this all could change tomorrow and most likely will since Intel is really taking a huge chunk out of the previously listed Prescott prices.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to MikegotOOL

Premium Member

to MikegotOOL
AMD will be keeping the 754 chips at least for another year, and from there, they might move to have their s754 to be the "value" section.

s939 will be the "performance" market most likely - dual channel w/o requiring registered DDR.

Personally I'm waiting for the latter for obvious reasons.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to MikegotOOL

MVM

to MikegotOOL
Many of us are waiting for socket 939.

I am but I still don’t much care for the current crop of Athlon64 platforms and I suspect that s939 will be slow to remedy this. Tweaking and OCing on Athlon64 is rather disappointing IMO with the exception of the Athlon64 FX which is and like will remain out of reach of many enthusiasts.

If the new platform isn’t hobbled by shifty dividers and/or a full range of working multipliers finally become attainable on the Athlon64,…. I’ll be a happy camper,….

I have a morbid curiosity as to what the AthlonXP on s754 would be like though.

Red Alert9
More Than Meets The Eye
join:2002-06-13
Winona, MN

Red Alert9 to MikegotOOL

to MikegotOOL
Am I the only one that's being completely turned off by all the socket changes coming up by AMD? I'd love to switch from Intel when I upgrade sometime later this year from my P4 2.53 because the new AMD processors are looking great, but how am I supposed to be confident in the future upgradability of an AMD mobo when there's 48 different types coming?

Usually this stuff doesn't confuse me, but if someone wouldn't mind laying it out clean and simple, I'd love it. I've tried reading articles, and they didn't help.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

C0deZer0

Premium Member

s754 = Current socket for Athlon64. Rather "gimped," compared to others, so it will eventually phase into the value market. No DCDDR, but chips here can have either 1M or 512K L2 cache.

s940 = Socket for the current Athlon FX & Opteron. DCDDR, but requires registered memory to run. All future Opterons will continue using this socket, though.

s939 = upcoming socket architecture for future Athlon FX (and performance market). True DCDDR, but no registered memory requirement. With this, processors should also be using .09 manufacturing process, which (combined with how wide the core is under the heatspreader) should mean for a cooler-running Athlon64/FX, and much more scalability (mhz-wise).