spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Halycon

@tnt1.columbus.oh.da.

[TWC] Need Help With Out Going Mail Server

I am looking for some help configuring McAfee Spamkiller and Outlook Express on my personal laptop. I take the laptop to work with me and use the laptop to check personal e-mail during the day. I have two e-mail accounts that I read. The first is a Hotmail account that 95% of all my e-mail is sent to. The second account is the account given to me when I signed up for RoadRunner in Columbus Ohio.

To properly configure Spamkiller with Hotmail you are supposed to change the server type to POP3 and specify LOCALHOST as the POP3 server. For outgoing mail it said to specify your ISP SMTP server.

I went through, configured everything and tried to send a test message from my Hotmail account. I got a bounce back informing me that RoadRunner does not permit mail relay. I contacted Time Warner and was told that as long as I am attached to the RoadRunner network I should be able to send mail.

The problem is I spend a good 8 hours a day (when I do most of my e-mailing) not attached to the RoadRunner network. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to find a SMTP server? Are there free SMTP services? I would be willing to pay for the service provided it is not a huge monthly sum.

Worst case I will just go back to enabling the junk filters to the highest level in Hotmail and sift through the junk box every morning.

Thanks in Advance

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:5

said by Halycon:
The problem is I spend a good 8 hours a day (when I do most of my e-mailing) not attached to the RoadRunner network. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can do to find a SMTP server? Are there free SMTP services? I would be willing to pay for the service provided it is not a huge monthly sum.

Not sure what to really say, this is for RoadRunner Issues basically, maybe this would be good for the »Software Forum?
--
Optimized By Optimum Online Cable @ 8021/909 & Verizon Online DSL @ 1524/136

Halycon

@rr.com

I was thinking maybe someone else had run into the same problems as I had. I thought I wasn't the only person who couldn't send and receive mail unless I was directly attached to the RoadRunner network.

Mic
Premium
join:2003-01-27
Minneapolis, MN

I'm not attached to the RoadRunner network and I can still send and receive email.

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
Brooklyn, NY

said by Mic:
I'm not attached to the RoadRunner network and I can still send and receive email.

Exactly, my father doesn't use his RR E-Mail so I access it from my computer here on the Optimum Online Network.
--

panth1
The Coyote

join:2000-12-11
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Halycon

Have you tried setting up outlook express to authenticate the smtp server with your RR username and password? Maybe that doesn't work either if they are checking ips.

Only other thing I can think of is using your work's smtp server or your work's isp's smpt server. I'm guessing that's not an option?

I'm sure you could find some free/paid pop email service on the web using a search engine.
--
ISPs: Road Runner/Powerlink Status: Road Runner

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
Brooklyn, NY

I always use Outlook Express for my e-mail, it's more flexible for my needs, BTW here's a Google Search on 'E-Mail Services' -- »www.google.com/search?sourceid=n···+Service

--

GarryB

@rr.com
reply to Halycon

SMTP servers

You're encountering "port 25 blocking." Many providers block mail relayed thru their smtp servers unless you're on their network; others don't. (The most common rationale for blocking is to reduce spam.) I assume you're connecting thru your office isp. One possible solution would be to use RR dialup. Alternatively, Google the phrase "free smtp servers." There are lots of options.

LrdVader
Premium
join:2003-12-18
San Diego, CA
reply to Halycon

Re: [TWC] Need Help With Out Going Mail Server

said by Halycon:

Most paid email services (and a few free ones, usually ones that allow POP access) will allow SMTP access. Since none of their users are directly connected to their network, they necessarily have to set up SMTP AUTH so users not on their network can use their server.

A great resource is »www.emailaddresses.com
In particular, check out the Free POP3 email and Free IMAP email sections. Some of those providers allow SMTP access. They also have listings for paid providers, if you're so inclined.

Good luck!

LrdVader
Premium
join:2003-12-18
San Diego, CA
reply to GarryB

Re: SMTP servers

said by GarryB:
You're encountering "port 25 blocking."

Port 25 blocking generally refers to an ISP blocking outbound connections to *outside* SMTP servers, to prevent the sending of spam through open relays or direct-to-MX spam. This is simply a mail server refusing to relay. Not quite the same thing (although both have the goal of reducing spam).

hotlynx2

join:2001-01-25
Beaumont, TX
reply to Halycon

Re: [TWC] Need Help With Out Going Mail Server

Just a note, RR blocks incoming mail from hotmail here in Beaumont Texas. It thinks they are a bunch of spammers

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
Brooklyn, NY

said by hotlynx2:
Just a note, RR blocks incoming mail from hotmail here in Beaumont Texas. It thinks they are a bunch of spammers

Hotmail is too much spam, try signing up for a Hotmail Account...Get about 100 Spam messages a day.
--