McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2

Speedstream 5100b hardware configuration

Before the Speedstream 5100b's start shipping, I would like to know:
1) I understand they have PPPoE support built-in, but what else?
2) Do they have router functions?
3) If it's a simple bridge with the PPPoE functions, how do we hook them up to an existing router? How is the router configured on the WAN side? I currently have a router doing my PPPoE stuff, what changes will I need to make?

(If this seems rambly, it's because I had a hard time phrasing my questions. )

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV
kudos:7

4) Do they have usable line statistics capabilities?

CCCMTech
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-17
Baxter, KY
reply to McSummation

1. Ping utilities, nice gui, diagnostic, etc.

2. Yes. (not supported)

3. Bridge them. PPPoE. You will have to bridge your 5100b to use the router. (that or setup the 5100b to use nat and set your router up dhcp without nat)

I hope that answers your questions.

(there are other ways of doing these things, but these are probably the simplest)
--
Thank you for choosing SBC Internet Services. My name is Rick. How may I help you today?

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Mcallen, TX

I know d_l won't believe this but as far as I know:

5. ADSL2+ upgradeable

»www.efficient.com/press/200306021.html
--
Observation, hypothesis, prediction, experimentation, conclusion... The scientific method.

The Chef

join:2003-12-09
reply to McSummation

quote:

2) Do they have router functions?
3) If it's a simple bridge with the PPPoE functions, how do we hook them up to an existing router? How is the router configured on the WAN side? I currently have a router doing my PPPoE stuff, what changes will I need to make?
4) Do they have usable line statistics capabilities?
(If this seems rambly, it's because I had a hard time

2. The device supports one and only 1 PC. It does routing only to the extent required to deliver traffic to and from that PC. No multiple PC support is included in the modem.

3. The mechanism to use with a simple router will vary based on the router. The simplest way is to configure the modem as a bridged device and let your router do the PPPoE. However this makes it hard to get back to the GUI (well not that hard, just press the reset button to get shipped defaults as there are not many parms lost by doing this).

Alternately you can have the modem still act as a DHCP server but not establish a PPPoE connection. It then issues an IP address to the router. The router still does PPPoE. This allows you to get back to the GUI by removing the router and reconnecting directly to the modem. Some routers may not like getting a private IP address or the one provided by the modem (at least not without reconfiguring the router)

Alternately you can leave it the way it is with the modem doing the PPPoE login and not the router but let the router still do NAT. The router may not like the private (or public) IP address provided by the modem (at least not without reconfiguring the router). The router may also have a problem if you use it with an auto-configuration tool as this tool might mis-autoconfigure based on the IP address type (public or private) of the modem (based on the network connection) at the time the router is auto-configured.

4. I think they are usable. Your mileage will vary. A Technician Readout page is provided which dumps out most of what the modem knows. This is in addition to some statistics on other pages. The TR page was designed for technicians and support folks so don't expect it to be pretty or for assistance on this feature as it is not a supported user feature. Knowing that users are often the best tools for identifying problems, it wasn't hidden.

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV

1 edit

Thank you for that info. I might have been too terse in my question. By stats, I meant at a minimum: line capacity, line noise, attenuation, and signal power readings for both up and down. Error counts would be nice to have too. Are the stats accessible when the modem is bridged (that would make them usable/accessible when a router was connected) or only when it is default mode? Thanks.

Edit: When and where will someone be able to buy a definite 5100b (not a 5100 from old inventory)?

jm8

join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

from sbc support article.

The estimated cutover date is January 23, 2004, but may occur a few days before or after January 23. Once the cutover occurs, all new or upgrading SBC Internet Members who order SBC Yahoo! DSL and want an Ethernet DSL modem will receive the EN 5100B.

As a note: New part number (060-E142-A01 versus 060-E141-A01 on the 5100A)

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX

OK, by having the part number it gives us a way of determining which one it is.

jm8

join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

also if you didnt kno already the 5100b has 5 lights, the older one has 4 lights

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium
Mcallen, TX

What's the fifth light for?

d_l
Barsoom
Premium,MVM
Reno, NV
reply to jm8

Thanks for those part numbers. Ummm... The only problem is that the SBC eStore lists the 5100? as Item #12A-5100-501.

The Chef

1 edit
reply to starstuff

said by starstuff:
What's the fifth light for?

It indicates when the PPPoE session is up. So if you see the DSL light and no Internet then it probably represents one of the following: the session timed out due to a lack of LAN traffic, something interrupted the connection to the ISP or your userid/password information is wrong.

I think in the first two cases it turns off and in the last case it turns read.

The Chef

reply to d_l

said by d_l:
Are the stats accessible when the modem is bridged (that would make them usable/accessible when a router was connected) or only when it is default mode? Thanks.

In general the stats are not accessible when the modem is bridged since the router would normally be taking all the traffic from the LAN side and sending it to the WAN over its own PPPoE session. Therefore any request to the modem would be intercepted by the router.

One of the values in keeping the router in a mode where it does not connect but still runs DHCP is that if you want to see the stats you could temporarily unplug your router and then plug in a PC to the modem, use the web interface to look and configure and then put your router back in.

You would not be able to see the real time information on the connection (e.g., connection speed) but would be able to see the collected stats.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to McSummation

Another question.

What will the Web/HTTP Management page IP be set at?

»10.0.0.1 or »192.168.254.254 or another IP?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

The Chef

1 edit

Modem is at 192.168.0.1.

Printed on a yellow label on the bottom in case you are inclined to forget.

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium
Mcallen, TX

1 edit
reply to The Chef

I have my modem monitoring this parameters in bridge mode. But you'll need to do a tricky/unusual setup.

The modem will retain the IP address once bridged ( from your post at 192.168.0.1 )

You need a computer with two NIC interfaces. Setup one interface to the modem net. ie. modem is at 192.168.0.1 the NIC in the computer could be 192.168.0.5 and set a route.

The 2nd interface will be set to any address in the router net. Just make sure the two nets don't conflict with each other.

I forgot...

You also need a hub or switch between the modem and the router. Connect the NIC with the modem net to this hub/switch.

This way you can access the GUI or the SNMP ( if the B model supports it )
--
Observation, hypothesis, prediction, experimentation, conclusion... The scientific method.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit
reply to The Chef

Click for full size
SBC 5100 Bridge
Ah, a non-standard IP address. The Router version of the 5100, 5200, etc. use a factory IP of »192.168.254.254 and the SBC supplied 5100 Bridge uses »10.0.0.1.

Is the Interface going to be SBC Branded like the 5100 Bridge (image attached above)?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

The Chef

reply to starstuff

said by starstuff:

This way you can access the GUI or the SNMP ( if the B model supports it )

I do not think the unit supports SNMP.

starstuff
Fly By Wire
Premium
Mcallen, TX

said by The Chef:

Too bad... version A does.
--

The Chef

reply to d_l

said by d_l:
By stats, I meant at a minimum: line capacity, line noise, attenuation, and signal power readings for both up and down. Error counts would be nice to have too.

It appears to have the following (and more that I do not recognize):

Synchronization speed Upstream and downstream
Modulation (ANSI or G.DMT)
Data Path (Fast or Interleaved)
SN Margin (dB) Downstream
Line Attenuation (dB) Downstream
Loss of Signal Downstream
Loss of Frame Downsteam, Upstream
CRC Errors Downstream, Upstream
ATM In & Out Cells, PDUs, Frames, Octets, Errors, Unicast Packets, Non Unicast Packets, Discard Packets
Receive SNR ps
ADSL DMT Bin Bits

Alot of the information doesn't have a value but is filled with a dash because the information is not available (based on the connection conditions, not implemented, etc...).

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to The Chef

said by The Chef:

All Efficient products (Modem, Modem/Routers, etc.) support SNMP that I've seen.

I do not know about their Speedstream standalone brand though (the Routers that do not have integral ADSL Modems at »www.speedstream.com/ )

Regards,

Doctor Olds

The Chef

reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:
Is the Interface going to be SBC Branded like the 5100 Bridge (image attached above)?

The interface is SBC branded and is different from the standard 5x00 series style of interface.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by The Chef:
The interface is SBC branded and is different from the standard 5x00 series style of interface.

How about posting a few screen captures?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
Fort Worth, TX
reply to McSummation

Please explain "Bridge mode with IP Address pass Issuance".

The Chef

said by McSummation:
Please explain "Bridge mode with IP Address pass Issuance".

What was originally written as "Bridge mode with IP Address pass Issuance.' by Maxo in the FAQs is I think what I described above:

The modem still can act as a DHCP server but not establish a PPPoE connection. It then issues an IP address to the LAN device (e.g., a router). The router does PPPoE. This allows you to get back to the GUI by removing the router and reconnecting directly to the modem.

I don't remember but I think the options are labeled something like Bridged Mode, PPPoE is on the Modem and PPPoE is on the PC with the last being what is described here.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to McSummation

As mentioned I have written up some FAQs for the modem:
»SBC DSL FAQ »How do I setup the 5100b to connect to the internet?
»SBC DSL FAQ »What are the lights and what do they mean?
»SBC DSL FAQ »How can I put the 5100b in bridge mode?
These should answer a number of your questions. I'm not really sure what the difference is between Bridge and Bridge with IP Pass Issuance. Hopefully someone else will clear this up. Even with the modem is bridge mode I don't see any reason why the GUI shouldn't still be accessible. I have the Zyxel 645M with Sprint and when it is bridged everything is still accessible (including line stats) except the connect and disconnect button.
As had been stated if you want to hook up a router your best bet is to just go ahead and bridge the modem. One issue that might come up is that (from what I've told) this modem Linksys routers both have an IP of 192.168.0.1 which will probably cause some problems.
Once thing of important note is if you need help connecting SBC will only provide tech support with the modem in PPPoE on board mode. This includes if you have bridged and are using XP/OSX PPPoE or Enternet 300. If you have problems connecting first unbridge the modem and try that way before calling in.
--
Girls don't really like me That's why I hate myself Maybe it's cause of the way I look Or maybe it's something else »maxolasersquad.com

tall_trees

join:2004-02-07
Chicago, IL
reply to McSummation

hey guys! just want to know what other issues do you get from using the 5100b... so far there are some glitches but hey, which one doesnt...:p

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

1 recommendation

reply to Doctor Olds

Click for full size
SS 5100b connection info page
Click for full size
SS 5100b PPP location page
per your request Doc!

Regards,

Randy

MyTechLife
Tech Guru

join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

Click for full size
If you select PPP is on the modem, besides changing the gateway/router's IP address, you would also want select DHCP instead of PPPoE on the WAN/Internet connection as well, right?

MyTechLife
Tech Guru

join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Maxo

I had an issue with the new modem today. Using Windows98 with no router in the equation, I decided to do a firewall test at www.grc.com. The test failed with all ports closed, except for port 139 being open. The IP address was a public one in the 68.xxx.xxx.xxx range. After that I inadvertently hit the power switch on the modem and the DSL or Internet light wouldn't go steady green (the 2nd light from the right). It would flash green for a while then go dark. A few times I had a solid red on that light. While this was happening I checked winipcfg, and it showed the LAN adapter IP address as 192.168.0.64, with the gateway as 192.168.0.1

After rebooting the computer and modem a few times I clicked the SBC connection troubleshooter in the system tray, and finally the light on the modem went solid green again, and I was able to connect to the internet. Checking winipcfg again, the LAN adapter was back at a 68.xxx.xxx.xxx address with the gateway as one IP address off the LAN adapter address.

I thought that this new modem would act like a firewall, hiding the LAN adapter address from the internet. I confirmed that the setting was "PPP is on the modem". Why couldn't I connect to the internet when the modem was issuing 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address to the LAN adapter? How did it end up issuing a 68.xxx.xxx.xxx address to the modem? I was also expecting to find a "b" in the model number on the bottom of the modem ??