Yes you would select DHCP.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX

Flippant to MyTechLife

to MyTechLife
Ned,

Perhaps it would be better to post your specific problems to a new thread, this one is more on the general abilities of the modem not specific problems.

Thanks.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
join:2001-01-17
Reno, NV

1 edit

MyTechLife

Never mind, I found my answer in this post »Re: [Modem] Speedstream 5100b in this thread »[Modem] Speedstream 5100b

Also found more info here »help.sbcglobal.net/artic ··· tem=3411

I think my problem was that I had an open browser window that was trying to hold onto the 192.168.0.1 IP, and wouldn't let the public IP (68.xxx.xxx.xxx) be set on the LAN. Guess we'll still have to use 3rd party firewall software for pre-XP computers.

I'll post some more configuration screenshots when I have access to a 5100B again.
The Chef
join:2003-12-09

The Chef to MyTechLife

to MyTechLife
said by MyTechLife:
Checking winipcfg again, the LAN adapter was back at a 68.xxx.xxx.xxx address with the gateway as one IP address off the LAN adapter address.

I thought that this new modem would act like a firewall, hiding the LAN adapter address from the internet. I confirmed that the setting was "PPP is on the modem". Why couldn't I connect to the internet when the modem was issuing 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address to the LAN adapter? How did it end up issuing a 68.xxx.xxx.xxx address to the modem?

The new modem is not a firewall. Unless configured otherwise, once a connection is established to the Internet the public IP address is passed to the LAN adapter.

Until that occurs, or when you are not connected, a private IP address is passed to the LAN adapter.

If you want to always pass a private IP address to the LAN adapter, modify the modem via the GUI at 192.168.0.1 to issues a private IP address (and not a public IP address).
said by MyTechLife:
I was also expecting to find a "b" in the model number on the bottom of the modem ?
The 5100b was the name for the new modem during development and not the actual model number. For whatever reason it stuck and alot of people are using the b designation.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

MyTechLife

said by The Chef:
...If you want to always pass a private IP address to the LAN adapter, modify the modem via the GUI at 192.168.0.1 to issues a private IP address (and not a public IP address)...
At what page in the GUI would I do this? (I do not currently have access to the modem to find this in the GUI myself.)

Would this effectively change the modem to a NAT "firewall"?

jm8
join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

jm8

Advanced>Connection Configuration, you will see it at the bottom of the page.
The Chef
join:2003-12-09

The Chef to MyTechLife

to MyTechLife
said by MyTechLife:
Would this effectively change the modem to a NAT "firewall"?
Not really. All traffic from the DSL connection is directed to the one PC in both cases.

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

1 edit

MyTechLife

OK, before I bought my router I had purchased the Webshare firmware upgrade for my Westell Wirespeed modem that unbridged the modem and made my computer's IP address invisible to the internet. I guess the 5100B is configured differently.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

I'm still trying to understand what your Wirespeed (and it's firmware being upgraded or not) has to do with this thread???

MyTechLife
Tech Guru
Reno, NV

MyTechLife

I'm trying to understand the capabilities of the new modem (or non-capabilities compared to previous SBC modems). Thanks to those who've helped. I'll be playing with the new modem again tomorrow, so I won't have to hi-jack the thread any longer.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by MyTechLife:
I'm trying to understand the capabilities of the new modem
All that really required was reading this thread and following the links in this thread, not posting about problems you had and then asking for specific help in this thread.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to Doctor Olds

MVM

to Doctor Olds
The 5100b doesn't seem to support snmp (at least when in bridged mode):

nmap -vvv -S 192.168.0.2 -e eth0:1 -P0 -sU -p 161-162 192.168.0.1

Starting nmap 3.50 ( »www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-02-25 22:39 PST
Host 192.168.0.1 appears to be up ... good.
Initiating UDP Scan against 192.168.0.1 at 22:39
The UDP Scan took 1 second to scan 2 ports.
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.1:
PORT STATE SERVICE
161/udp closed snmp
162/udp closed snmptrap

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.578 seconds

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

That's from the WAN side, right? (that should not normally respond for security reasons). Have you tried from the LAN side?

It also been mentioned that XML is used instead.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

No, this is from the LAN side (hence -S 192.168.0.2 which is what eth0:1 is assigned

Well, for now I'm able to get away with some perl scripting using Net::HTTP to get the statistics.htm page and parse out the attenuation and SNR which is working ok so far. It'd be nice to use SNMP directly, though
we9850
join:2004-03-23
Adkins, TX

we9850

what does the attn dl rate 192 mean????