spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TD Gunz

join:2003-05-24
Thailand

YIKES - OPEN PORT 80 probed in Yahoo chat!!

HI- My name is Todd...
Can anyone help me at all with this? I was in a Yahoo chat room, and someone did a probe on open ports on my pc. He then posted in the room that I had an open port 80.
I'm a little worried to say the least. I am running XP-Pro, have MSN's DSL1000 modem via the phone line. I have Symantec anti_virus, but to my knowledge the only fire walls are the one in the DSL modem, and I think XP-Pro has one as well. I have no idea how to set them or how to see if they're on or not, being a pc "re-todd"...
Oh, I also use a program called YTunnel when I'm in Yahoo, it's got anti-booting, anti-bot's, and a few other things as well.
Any info would be appreciated as that scared the hell outta me when he posted that info in the chat room I was in.
thanx in advance for any help you may provide....

scottk88

@156.63.x.x
ok dude...ALL COMPUTERS THAT HAVE AN INTERNET BROWSER OPEN HAVE THE OPEN PORT OF 80! my guess is that person didnt even scan your computer...he just took a wild guess...if you read the posts above...you would get that

ok dude...ALL COMPUTERS THAT HAVE AN INTERNET BROWSER OPEN HAVE THE OPEN PORT OF 80! my guess is that person didnt even scan your computer...he just took a wild guess...if you read the posts above...you would get that
Wrong. You couldn't BE more wrong. To put it in simplified terms, a browser grabs the next available outgoing port (could be anything) to use to connect to an open port 80 on the other end. The client's port 80 has nothing to do with it.

To the guy that this idiot was condescending to: Best advice I can give you is to go to »www.zonelabs.com and download the free version of ZoneAlarm. You are running a web server. Most likely it's IIS 5.1, which is built into WinXP Pro. You either need to deactivate that web server (which I won't attempt to explain, since I have no idea what your depth of knowledge on the subject is), or enable a firewall. WinXP's firewall will also work for your purposes. You will find info on that in WinXP's help.

Good luck!

diablofire

@qwest.net
you are probably using Quest's broadband package am i not right??????

derrekb

@levtwn01.pa.comcast.
reply to TD Gunz
Port 80 Information

World Wide Web HTTP

HTTP is used to serve and request WWW pages. The Source computer has scanned your computer for a Web Server. Personal Web Servers, while common, are not always secure. Some Personal Web Servers can be used to gain access to files on your computer. Many Trojan/Worm attacks spread via this port (such as the infamous Code Red). The firewall is protecting you from this threat. However, if you are running a web server or are publishing web camera photos to the web and that application is not working you will need to open this port.

This is from »www.hackerwatch.org

ZeroKul

@nas2.indianapolis1.i
Dude its not big that u have port 80 open...If ure running a firewall it will SEcure it and u have notin' to worry about;)