Ursher
The Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
S.M.D.

Ursher

Premium Member

[Help] AIM Crashes on Startup

Hello. I am using AOL Instant Messenger with DeadAIM 4.1 on Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2. Recently, due to a hard drive upgrade, I re-installed Windows. However, the re-installation of AIM seems to be failing on me, for signing on the first time would work. However, restarting AIM will render it useless, for it will freeze on the loading of my buddylist. It matters not whether DeadAIM is installed or not, for I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.

One thing to note is that aim.exe takes all 100% of my CPU resources during this freeze. The freeze seems to have an infinite time span, for I have left it overnight from 11PM to 5AM and it has yet to disappear.

I don't know whether this is a software problem or a hardware problem, for the hard drive is a few days old. Since I have not done much with this installation of Windows yet, I will be willing to format the partition if it will solve my problem.

If you have any idea to contribute to this thread that may help my troubleshooting, please reply. If you know of any Windows-native AIM client (No GAIM please ) that I can use in the mean time, that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

jwhorfin
Premium Member
join:2000-10-22
Here

2 edits

jwhorfin

Premium Member

I started using Miranda a while back and now most everyone i know is using it. It ia a very small program, NO BANNERS or POPUPS
It will also put everyone you know on all platforms together at once...AIM,MSN,ICQ,JABBER,IRC, all in the same little window.I can't recommend this program enough:)
»www.miranda-im.org/

BTW...the most important thing to remember when setting up and using Miranda is to make sure you EXIT and RESTART Miranda when making changes to your options or they won't take effect!

Ursher
The Man
Premium Member
S.M.D.

Ursher

Premium Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it.

However, I am still in look for a fix to the original AIM client. I prefer that more due to personal preferences. If anyone has a fix, or anything that may contribute to the possible solution, please do not hesitate to reply!

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe

MVM

Are you saying it works correctly the first time you try to connect? I had a similar problem, where it turned out that I had a hosts file entry that was blocking one of the required AOL addresses, but in my case, the buddy list would never come up even the first time AIM was started. If it comes up the first time, that doesn't seem like a likely cause.

Ursher
The Man
Premium Member
S.M.D.

Ursher

Premium Member

Yes, it did come up the first time.
However, any attempts afterwards will simply result in a freeze of the AIM client, as well as any windows associated to it.

The buddylist does load, but freezes after it does. I am unable to select anything from the buddylist, or am I able to click on any menus on the buddylist window.

Could this be a hardware problem? I have a Hitachi Deskstar IC35L180AVV207-1 (180GB). I did do a quick format during installation, thus leaving small traces of previous data. Since I have not done much with this installation yet, I will go ahead and see if it would help if I installed with a full format instead of a quick format.

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5 to Ursher

Premium Member

to Ursher
Delete AIM completely and reinstall it. Then reinstall any 3rd party apps you run with it that you might have. Something is obviously corrupted in your current installation. Your buddy list is kept on the AOL servers so you will not lose it when you reinstall and login as your screename.

Rather than waste your time looking for something you might not EVER track down, it will be far easier to just reinstall from scratch....

Just my .02¢ worth of advice

Ursher
The Man
Premium Member
S.M.D.

Ursher

Premium Member

I figured that it was my installation of Windows, so I decided to format and install again. Instead of having another Quick format (which takes ten seconds), I decided to have a full format that took an hour. The wait was worth it, however, because AIM is working fine afterwards.

Thanks for all the help guys.