spc
Search similar:

uniqs

OSIAS
@comcast.net

OSIAS

Anon

831 Bootstrap help

okay im not going to lie here. i am new to cisco routers. i am a tech and understand networking quite well just never got my hands on a cisco router before..

heres my problem.. my bootstrap isnt loading up..
the lights all come on and it posts.. but nothing loads at all.

before i could telnet in through the console cable and if you turned it off off and on the router bootstrap loads and you see it load configuration etc.. and then have the ability to log in....now it doesnt ... and nothing loads.. IE its not working at all and the cisco fast step software cant detect the router. through ethernet or serial.

i have
cisco 831
cisco fast step software
12.3 image
tftp server running

but i cant log into the router to do the reimage diasaster recovery..

does this make sense sorry if it doesnt i could be off my wanker.. so if i cant log in to reimage the bad boy how do i get the bootsrap back?

newbie in dire need of a good instruction manual .. please put out of his misery. lol

and i have been searching on this for a while now.. cisco etc and been asking other buddies i have that dealt with cisco before.. and thats kinda how it got like this..

when he was logged in the last time he like got back to begining log in area and type "confreg ox8072"
the end letters and #'s bit is off but it was somethign like that.. since then its been toast..

thanks in advance for maybe a direction to a good tutorial or page on this.
OSIAS

OSIAS

Anon

Does no one have any advice here?

am i just totally screwed?
caktusrn
join:2004-01-10
Palmyra, PA

caktusrn

config register should be 0x2102
bit # hexadecimal value meaning
00to03 0x0000to0x000f boot field
04 0x0010 undefined
05 0x0020 undefined
06 0x0040 system to ingore NVRAM
07 0x0080 OEM bit enabled
08 0x0100 break disabled
09 0x0200 undefined
10 0x0400 ip broadcast
11to12 0x0800to0x1800 console line speed
13 0x2000 boot default ROM
14 0x4000 IP broadcasts do not have network
15 0x8000 enable diagnostic messages and gnore NVRAM contents

hmmmmmm
@in-addr.btopenworld.

hmmmmmm to OSIAS

Anon

to OSIAS
Try:

Ctrl + Break together once it has been powered on and cross your fingers! You might have to continue pressing them until you get a prompt.

Type:

>Confreg 0x2102

at the prompt.

Then type "reset" and again cross your fingers.

osias
@comcast.net

osias

Anon

already treid these things guys .. the bootsrap doesnt load no one to break-it so i cant login into any modes. i need some way to actually completly flash the router.. back to defualt bootstrap.. or somethign...

im really screwed and i know this but can someone please shed some insight as to some options maybe please..
paulsoth
Premium Member
join:2003-04-07
Rogers, MN

paulsoth to OSIAS

Premium Member

to OSIAS
To assist us in helping you, please post what the router is displaying while booting.

Also, verify that the flash and dram memory on the router is secure (depending if there was additional memory added to router).
Was this router working fine and all of a sudden die or did you attempt to upgrade the IOS?

If your router is relatively new, then you can get Cisco to replace it at no charge. Just call them with your serial number and depending on when it was purchased, they will help you out. If they say the warranty has already expired, just mention that you had bought a whole bunch of these recently and were brand new units. They usually will send a refurbished unit out to you.

OSIAS
@4.42.x.x

OSIAS

Anon

okay well hey i bought the rotuer used was working fine till me budy logged into it through the serial hyperterminal and typed somethign like

confreg 0x3578

since then its been hosed doesnt load the bootstrap at all breaks dont work and all that is displayed on the screen is garble even if i turn it off and on.. garble like so

JJJJJ(((#@#$&&&&&&&&&HHHHHHHHHH

thats pretty much what it does diffrent symbols each time though and yes already reseated all chips on the board..

if neccesary i can provide a screenshot and i am connected through the serial that i am positive of something has hosed the bootstrap and all i need to know is how to recover it.. and im not talking th eIOS image i am talking about the bootstrap..
mlasarko
join:2003-08-27
Rosedale, MD

mlasarko

It's possible you modified the characteristics of the console port... This link may help you to reverse-enginner the deed:

»www.cisco.com/public/scc ··· bitmeans

Have you tried to get into the router from one of the other interfaces (E0 or E1)? Do you think the router is getting that far along??

Post what you can and we'll try and help
~M

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Welcome to BBR and the Cisco Forum mlasarko See Profile and congratulations on your first post as a member. Thanks for joining us, we're glad to have you here!

Also, if you'll login here your posts will stop showing "First Post!" under your login name.

Kraphty
Lost In Translation
Premium Member
join:2002-10-14
Campbellsville, KY

Kraphty to OSIAS

Premium Member

to OSIAS
Just performed this operation last night on a 1700. First you need to get the settings on your serial port straightened out but if you are carefull you might be able to do it blind. To use TFTP to put an IOS bin back on the router you need to use the following steps at an "rommon x>" prompt.

IP_ADDRESS=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
IP_SUBNET_MASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
TFTP_SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
TFTP_FILE=name of file to get off TFTP.

The above sets the parameters for the tftpdnld command. So at the "rommon x>" prompt you now need to issue a tftpdnld command the default switch is -r which will rewrite the whole flash, this process took about 15 minutes last night to transfer then erase and then program the flash. After that issue the reset command and you router should start up with the bootstrap and begin uncompressing the bin. Good luck I hope you get the serial port straightened out it will be alot easier to see what you are doing.
Kraphty

Kraphty

Premium Member

Ok I am going to spell this out for you plain and clear so you can understand.

If your router boots at all, even if it is showing gibberish because you are too inept at using hardware to figure out serial port settings, without a valid IOS in flash it WILL ALWAYS enter ROMMON that stands for ROM MONitor mode. Your router ROM has limited IOS functionality.

SO IF YOU Can READ then go re-read my post again to realize that I SAID if all else fails TRY to follow those steps BLIND.

But then again I am done trying to help the helpless.

Covenant
MVM
join:2003-07-01
England

Covenant to OSIAS

MVM

to OSIAS
If you are directly consoled into the router, could you go ahead and open a new hyperterminal session with these settings:

Bits per second: 1200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow control: None

Once this is open, powercycle the router and press the spacebar for like 10 seconds (press and release) if you are able to see the rommon prompt, change the register back to normal by typing:

rommon>confreg 0x2102
rommon>reset

if you are not able to see anything on the screen, close the window and open a new one with these settings:

Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow control: None

And you should now see the rommon> prompt change the register from there. And router should be back in normal mode.

osias
@4.42.x.x

osias

Anon

kewl i will try this
osias

1 edit

osias to Covenant

Anon

to Covenant
okay fellas i would jsut like to give the gold metal to covenant hes is the man that gave the correct awsner to the problems and has fixed my router issue its up and runing..

covenant thanks man your are the guro for cisco..

OSIAS
@4.42.x.x

1 edit

OSIAS to OSIAS

Anon

to OSIAS

really now guy i had to repeat myself 3 times for many and convenant swooped in and solved it in one shot..

so i will say it again convenant is a smart man read my problem new what he was doing and responded all the others thought they new what they were doing and when they didnt they blamed me for their ignorance..

thank god i need to know nothing more from this board... i have all the documentation and intelegence i will ever need now for cisco routers..

Rokky
@4.42.x.x

Rokky

Anon

Agree totally...covenant is the man!!!! The others might actually wanna read the post before they give there great ideas...

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

1 edit

nozero to OSIAS

MVM,

to OSIAS
Please review the site posting rules and terms of use it may help you avoid many of the potential posting pitfalls and their consequences.

If you have issues with site moderation, please take it up only with

fatness

You ruin any chance for a hearing by seeking explanations any other way.

Covenant
MVM
England

Covenant to OSIAS

MVM

to OSIAS
Thanks for the compliment OSIAS but I am far from being a Cisco guru. Anyways, I understand that the helpers in this thread might not have given you a solution that you are happy with but they are only trying to help. They do not know what troubleshooting steps you have implemented so they are basically advising you blind, hoping that the next post from you would provide the key to the puzzle.

I do understand your frustration when you have an issue and its not getting the response you desire but that is no reason to blow your cool.

It would be a shame for you to leave this forum just because you got off on the wrong foot with some other people but we are a nice bunch here and do not bite unless provoked.

Just think about registering please. Glad your issue got sorted.
wdewey
join:2004-01-14
Salem, OR

wdewey

For tips on how to provoke Covenant see:

»A Special Thanks! *Everybody Please Read*

Bill

Covenant
MVM
England

Covenant