spc
uniqs

OSIAS
@4.42.x.x

OSIAS to paulsoth

Anon

to paulsoth

Re: 831 Bootstrap help

okay well hey i bought the rotuer used was working fine till me budy logged into it through the serial hyperterminal and typed somethign like

confreg 0x3578

since then its been hosed doesnt load the bootstrap at all breaks dont work and all that is displayed on the screen is garble even if i turn it off and on.. garble like so

JJJJJ(((#@#$&&&&&&&&&HHHHHHHHHH

thats pretty much what it does diffrent symbols each time though and yes already reseated all chips on the board..

if neccesary i can provide a screenshot and i am connected through the serial that i am positive of something has hosed the bootstrap and all i need to know is how to recover it.. and im not talking th eIOS image i am talking about the bootstrap..
mlasarko
join:2003-08-27
Rosedale, MD

mlasarko

It's possible you modified the characteristics of the console port... This link may help you to reverse-enginner the deed:

»www.cisco.com/public/scc ··· bitmeans

Have you tried to get into the router from one of the other interfaces (E0 or E1)? Do you think the router is getting that far along??

Post what you can and we'll try and help
~M

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Welcome to BBR and the Cisco Forum mlasarko See Profile and congratulations on your first post as a member. Thanks for joining us, we're glad to have you here!

Also, if you'll login here your posts will stop showing "First Post!" under your login name.

Covenant
MVM
join:2003-07-01
England

Covenant to OSIAS

MVM

to OSIAS
If you are directly consoled into the router, could you go ahead and open a new hyperterminal session with these settings:

Bits per second: 1200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow control: None

Once this is open, powercycle the router and press the spacebar for like 10 seconds (press and release) if you are able to see the rommon prompt, change the register back to normal by typing:

rommon>confreg 0x2102
rommon>reset

if you are not able to see anything on the screen, close the window and open a new one with these settings:

Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow control: None

And you should now see the rommon> prompt change the register from there. And router should be back in normal mode.

osias
@4.42.x.x

osias

Anon

kewl i will try this
osias

1 edit

osias to Covenant

Anon

to Covenant
okay fellas i would jsut like to give the gold metal to covenant hes is the man that gave the correct awsner to the problems and has fixed my router issue its up and runing..

covenant thanks man your are the guro for cisco..