All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jerome8283
join:2004-01-01

jerome8283

[Optimum Voice] Hello Hello Hello

Ok, I know I posted this problem before but now that I’ve had OV for 2 months or so it's becoming annoying. Often I get a beeping noise. It only happens to callers. For instance, if I call my wife from work, I hear a beep as if its call waiting and someone is calling but it's not. She will hear silence while I get the beep. Also, while talking on the phone from home at times a get a lot of dead spots where and cannot hear the person on the other end. I have an AT&T cordless 2375 2.4Ghz DSS. Anyone else experience this?

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

ironwalker

MVM

All fine on this end.

I always had dead spots with my cordless....but this is the best cordless i have owned considering my past failures on a decent purchase.Its liveable here,cant say if yours is or not.
jerome8283

jerome8283

Interesting.. »[Vonage] beeping tones from women?

Can somone from Optimim Voice speak to this?
jerome8283

jerome8283

»www.vonage-forum.com/fto ··· c-0.html

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

1 edit

ironwalker to jerome8283

MVM

to jerome8283
Never have i heard beeping.

do you have the newest firmware for your voice modem?

drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

said by ironwalker:
do you have the newest firmware for your voice modem?

jerome8283 See Profile, might want to post your MAC Address in the Firmware Request thread here -- »Request Firmware Upgrades Here Only
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA
·Armstrong

comp to jerome8283

Premium Member

to jerome8283
It might be your phone. If he is getting dead spots and the beeping sound it could just be his phone. I know when i call my friends house(he does not have OV and i am using my cell phone) his phone beeps every 15 sec. he is just to lazy to exchange it. I would like into a new phone

Engineer88
join:2000-12-01
Smithtown, NY

Engineer88 to jerome8283

to jerome8283
Most likely explaination is in the thread posted by jerome8283 See Profile. DTMF ('Touch-Tone') signals are handled 'out of band' by the modem. When it detects a touch-tone coming from your phone, a signal is sent to the Call Manager (softswitch) requesting an out of band signalling message. This request is relayed to the trunking gateway, where it interprets the request to play a tone down the line. Only the person on the non-OV end of the call hears it.

This is the most reliable way to handle tone signalling over VOIP, because any impairments in the transmission path will not affect the quality of the tones.

Unfortunately, if the modem mis-interprets someone's voice as a touch-tone, this will happen. This can happen on any out of band signalling based system that tries to detect tones from a conventional telephone.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

It also happens with some regular Voicemail services, too...
On rare occasions, I have been cut off while leaving a voicemail message, as if I hit the keypad (end and save message).
I guess I just happened to hit 2400Hz spot-on when talking. (maybe I should join a Choir).

-Tursiops_G.
jerome8283

1 edit

jerome8283 to comp

to comp
If the touch-tone in this case differs from a normal touch-tone, can you guys send nothing instead of the tone which is confusing and causes questions to the OV customer? Also, this happens when the caller is silent. Yesterday it happen to my wife while she was on the line with me.

This response is to Engineer88.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to jerome8283

to jerome8283
Can you try a different phone?

I have this problem (see the Vonage thread) with Vonage - but only with a specific cordless (Olympia 24xx). With the corded phone it never happens... I suspect that the A/D conversion/compression that some digital cordless phones use 'dirties' the voice and aids in the misinterpretation...
jerome8283

jerome8283

That's interesting. I will try a different phone to see what happens.