Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

viper453

join:2003-03-30
Cincinnati, OH
reply to yock

Re: Zoomtown Upgrade!

»www.cinergy.com/News/default_cor···s_id=420 they will be offering multible tiers. they say there going to offer 3/3 for the price of cincinnati bell and roadrunner about.

thecrock138

join:2004-02-07
Williamsburg, OH
reply to DeathK

This is my first post here but, has anyone noticed a lot of packet loss and high pings since they got the upgrade. I was upgraded last tuesday and since then I havent really been able to play any online games without major lag.

viper453

Cincinnati, OH

said by thecrock138:
This is my first post here but, has anyone noticed a lot of packet loss and high pings since they got the upgrade. I was upgraded last tuesday and since then I havent really been able to play any online games without major lag.

have u tried the speed test? maybe they have u trained really slow.

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH

Test 1 2388/787 kbps
Test 2 2375/785 kbps
Test 3 2336/773 kbps

These are from last week, all from diffrent test sites on here.
My line quality tests usually fail with 97-99% packet loss.

I'm currently at work so this is the best I can do.

viper453

Cincinnati, OH

yeah i have alot of trouble with the line test too: (

nahog99

join:2004-02-29
Cincinnati, OH
reply to dralston

Hey i was just wondering is there anyone from the Wyoming area that has had the upgrade? I still havent seen a difference and theres only a week to go before they said all the accounts will be upgraded

dralston

join:2004-03-01
Cincinnati, OH

Although I have heard nothing and none of my queries have been answered it appears I am upgraded. Seem to be getting about 2.3 Mbps on the Zoomtown download and less on other tests but significantly more than in the past. They may just have done mine to get me to quit asking.

customer

@fuse.net
reply to viper453

do u know when they will get the cinergy internet in crosby and harrison

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH
reply to DeathK

I called cinergy and they said they didnt know when it would be in my area. So if anyone gets it let us know how it is. Right now I'm happy with my zoomtown upgrade, except for the line quality tests.

viper453

Cincinnati, OH
reply to schmattie

said by schmattie:
said by RumpShaka:
Where did you find that they will upgrade the upload to 1.5 next year?

A bird said so...I have a friend that works @ bell.

you know if they plan on bring hyperspeed back next yr with speed around 4-6mbit/1.5?

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to DeathK

Got off the phone with tech support again (called twice). This time I was able to get somewhat useful answers. The first guy mentioned that a problem with the higher speed could be arising since I don't have filters on each individual phone. What I have set up is one filter on the incoming phone line. The line is then split up into all the lines for around the house. Hasn't caused any problems with the 768 connection speed. The guy credited five filters to the account and I can pick them at the nearest Cincinnati Bell store (about a mile away).

However, I don't think that could be the issue. I disconnected all but one phone in the house and hooked up a filter to the one phone. I called tech support again and explained all of this and to get the guy to try the higher speed again. He tried, but it still didn't want to train at the highest speed. I was watching my Cisco Commander on my puter here while he was doing it and I saw a few different number combinations: 952 up (again)/400 something down, 1028 down/600 something up, etc. He said if it's not the phones here cuasing the issue then it may just be my distance from the CO is too far (which I highly doubt since I live right next to a large business district). He's sending the problem to the repair guys to have them run a line test. If they run into an actual problem they'll call, but if they don't I can call back in the evening to get the results, ie. if I'm too far from the CO.

This is getting tiring. I just want mah speed Anyone else using the Commander software.. what's your line quality under Link say? Mine's 28db.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

Just got a call back from them and they're going to send a guy out here on Monday to look at it. I think he said the line test ran into a problem somewhere, but I'm not sure. He also said there could be a problem anywhere between the CO to straight into my house. Hopefully I don't have to work Monday otherwise I'll have to reschedule the visit.

viper453

Cincinnati, OH

got my upgrade 2.6/830 : )

viper453

Cincinnati, OH

line quality is 41 db now, and it was 45 db befor i got upgraded.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

2 edits

Ok, after all the drama now (long story) I'm getting a little under 1.3Mbps download. I'm not very pleased. When the line technician came out he narrowed the problem down to being outside of the house. He tinkered with the little junction box on the side of my house and was on his cell with guys on the other side provisioning the line. On the card he left he noted that at the box he was getting a 2Mbps signal. That's not too bad, but still pretty shy from 3Mbps. I find it hard to believe I live far away enough from my CO that it's shaving off 1Mbps. I live a block or two away from Kenwood, a place which is likely littered with fiber trunks. Either I actually do live pretty far from my CO or there's some shady wiring somewhere on the route.

Anywho, lastnight I was running into some router issues with the 675. It was training up but not pulling an IP. It was actually training at 1600/816 lastnight (won't do me any good if it's not pulling an IP though). Called tech support this morning and they narrowed it down to possibly being a messed up router. I was able to exchange it today for a "new" router. It's actually a refurbished 675. I don't know why they still hand those things out... the damn router is End-of-Life. Even the guy at the Cincinnati Bell store hinted at the possibility that the 675's aren't cut for the job. He gave me one though

Flash forward to getting it home. I was now only getting around 800Kbps down from the test servers. Called tech support again with the issue and the guy tinkered with some stuff on his end. He had to get a senior technician to mess with the Cisco router on their end that my Cisco talks to. After that I was then getting the 1.3Mbps or so speed. The guy's final comment was "Looks like you're pulling a pretty good speed now..." Hello? I'm not even getting the old 1.5Mbps Hyperspeed. This is quite disheartening Lastnight when it was training up at 1600 instead of 2000 it was a little disappointing. Don't know how I was losing 400Kbps from the box outside to the router inside. My wiring is just fine. This leads me to believe the router just plain sucks.

I think I've seen the absolute least improvement in speed of all the people who posted here with their upgraded connections. I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

Now that I've had some time to cool down a bit and look at the DSL FAQ's here I'm going to do some tests of my own tomorrow to try and isolate the problem. These include:

1. Hooking the router directly to the phone box on the outside of the house to bypass all home wiring and see what it connects at.
2. Having just the router on the main phone line inside of the house (I've got a small phoneline splitter box.. one connection going directly to the router and the other going through a wall-mount filter then to the phoneline connections of the house).
3. Unhooking different phones throughout the house to see if any single one is causing an issue.
4. Possibly some other line tests I can think of.
5. Updating the router to the latest CBOS.

viper453

Cincinnati, OH

i think u r too far from the co, might want to switch to rr. my friend on rr gets a hair bit better download than i do, he gets 2.8mbits i get 2.6 mbits download.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

I'm not worried about the distance from the CO as much as I'm worried about the router not training up at 2Mbps like it should. There's obviously a problem when the line technician gets a 2Mbps signal on the box outside but the router inside doesn't train at that speed and only gets around 1.3Mbps. That's why I'm going to try a few things today to isolate the problem.

[edit]

Just got done trying the router hooked directly into the box outside. »download.fuse.net said 2000kbps in the status bar at the bottom of the browser (likely what it's trained at), but the speed netted around 1.3Mbps again. I just now hooked it back up inside of the house but isolated from the house wiring. Speed test said 2000kbps again but the result was 1.3Mbps. I think this narrows it down to a router issue. Looks like it's time for a CBOS upgrade

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

According to the CO check here my CO is Rossmoyne. MapQuest driving distance is 2.45 miles which is 12,936 feet. Technical limit for 2Mbps ADSL is 16,000 feet. It's inevitable the actual distance from my CO is more than 2.45 miles because of the likelyhood of "wire tangles" (ie. not straight line to CO, not optimal street route followed, excess wiring in areas).

The line technicians need to be slapped. They ignore packet loss and errors when they use their little testing device. When the guy reported a 2Mbps signal that didn't take into account errors and PL. My router can only reliably train at 1600/816 and actual transfer speeds are, in perspective, quite a bit lower.. at least the download. Looks like I have to live with around 1.3Mbps transfer speeds. 150k-160k/sec downloads are still better than 60-70k/sec downloads.

schmattie

join:2003-07-20
Florence, KY

A few questions for you DeathK.

When you say you are plugging the 675 into the box are you talking about the demarkation box?

What processor/ram/os are you using?

What programs are running when you run a line test?
(Simple 3 finger salute will due.)

*******Suggestions******
Get rid of that clunky ass Cisco675 and get a Lucent Cellpipe 22A-GX. The model # is important as well.

Answer the above questions and I will see if I can come up with another solution.

BTW: training @ 2000 should warrant 1700 down

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH

I have the cisco 675 and tech support claims I'm training at the full 3mbps,is there a way I can check this myself, because if that is the case (3mbps) I should be getting more than 2300 on speedtests and downloads, correct?

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH
reply to schmattie

schmattie, yes, I was referring to the demarc. Computer specs have nothing to do with my speed (computer is plenty fast and properly configured...).

The 675 doesn't train up at 2000. It trains up at 1600/816 and therefore my actual download speed is 1.3Mbps. The line technician got the 2Mbps signal right at the demarc with his tester thingy, but a seemingly knowledgeable technician through tech support told me the line guy ignored packet loss and errors (he said he actually asked the guy about that when they were at his house).

It's highly likely that the constraints are line quality and distance from my CO. The Cisco's incoming line quality is 28db (people who are getting over 2Mbps speeds have line qualities of 40+db). If the Cisco really is clunky ass then the Lucent you suggest might pull through a little more speed, but I doubt it.

There's something that I've noticed with one of CBT's speed tests though, ie. »download.fuse.net .... When I run it the first time it'll read "kbps=1xxx" in the url bar where the x's are the rest of the speed.. it fluctuates (kind of slowish tonight though), but is generally between 1200-1400. When I run the test again (hit enter on the highlighted url to reload the site) it'll say "kbps=2000" up there. For example:

(keep mouse over to see full url at bottom)

»status.zoomtown.com/speedtest/me···bps=2000

When it's done:

»status.zoomtown.com/speedtest/re···corded=1

Bit odd if you ask me

legoman549

join:2004-04-12
Hamilton, OH

Hello,

I got my upgrade last week. My Upload maxs out at 1.6M at BEST and upload is a steady 768. I have called zoomtown and they did the noraml, "check phone filters" ect ect. He said my 675 was training up at a good speed. I said WHAT? He told me they were in the process of moving to a new CO. When this was done it should increase the speed. It could consist of switching the twisted pairs. The guy accross the street, his is runing at 2.5 solid. He had some other phone problems a few weeks ago and I suspect they switched pairs to the new CO. They also said if I hook up the extra speed stream modem I had it would not train up. This is because it was not on the new system. I think I will put some preasure on them to switch me over to the new, and put a new modem in. I looked for the cisco utilties and could not find them. Can someone please post a link? What is the status of other zoomtown subscribers. I live in Indian Springs 45011 zip

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH

My speeds are 2.3-2.5 steady, i live in the williamsburg area 45176......what cisco utilities are you looking for? Also I tried to use my commander software but I dont know the password. The thing is I never set one, so is there a default/generic password or is there another way I can see what my modems training at and other odd end stuff....

legoman549

join:2004-04-12
Hamilton, OH

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for the Cisco Commandar utilites, or how to access the cisco 675 settings. I want to see what it is "training up" at. Your right I forgot about the password. I had to do that one other time with zoomtown tech support for another upgrade. I think it was something simple, like FUSE. I will look to see if I recorded it. This was set by zoomtown, not us... Are you useing the 675? I have seen alot of people get better speeds than me. Do you have any problems with zoomtown dropping the connection briefly?

Thanks!
dprice
dprice2@fuse.net

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH

3 edits

The only problems I have experienced are slow downs. They don't happen often and they usually only last a few minutes. As a matter of fact I haven't had one in quite some time. I've been running at 2.5 steady for a couple of weeks and my upload is always better than 768. BTW You can download the commander software here »www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservic···ups.html
when we ordered ZT (many moons ago) Cincinnati Bell gave me a cd along with my modem that has the commander software on it, I just don't know the password. It might be a smart idea to start a new topic, so maybe a few people will notice, there isn't many people on this board. All the people will try and help though, i would but me and you sort of have the same question.....heck I might start a new one lol!!!!
also Cincy Bell made front page again... complete story »telephonyonline.com/ar/telecom_p···ndex.htm
this probably wont effect me but hopefully this will help some of you out that live far from the co.....

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

Yeah, I saw that news on the front page thecrock138 and replied to it. Like I said in the reply I think it's pretty unlikely they would deploy the powered DSLAM in an area like this. According to the words of a rando CBT tech support guy my speed (1.3Mbps) is "pretty good".

Who knows though. I'm sure there are some places near here that see even slower speeds than I do with the upgrade. I'm not expecting miracles though.

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH

hopefully they get your area (1.3) is not bad but thats not close to 3 and if it possible to get 3 at 50,000 ft then they should deploy the technology, especially if they want to compete with Cinergy and Road Runner. I do have a question, I checked my 675 and I'm training at 3200 down and 952 up Line quality is 41db but my speeds are around 2.3-2.5, I know there is overhead but, i should be seeing faster speeds... any suggestions, thanks.

DeathK
Premium
Cincinnati, OH

The download speed you're getting sounds right. When you're receiving actual packets the speed certainly isn't going to be as high as the trained speed (it's just a signal and not actual data throughput). Then when you're browsing and downloading from the net you have to take net traffic into account.

If I was getting the speeds you are I'd be very happy

thecrock138

Williamsburg, OH

hopefully soon enough you will be.......yeah I was just curious about that, i'm just spoiled. I had cable for a while and was getting over 3 on the download but playing games wasnt to fun, high ping and spikes that got me booted.. ZT keeps me in the 30's-40's all the time..Thanks for the quick reply